New 3D printed loco, Crochat 50cm gauge , possible Gn15

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

New 3D printed loco, Crochat 50cm gauge , possible Gn15

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:54 pm

Just got back to designing new locos. One I had been planning was the 50cm gauge Crochat locos as found on CF de Tarn. Such ungainly machines. Design is for 1/32 to go on 16.5mm gauge track, but given the size of the cab, and its narrowness, I think it could easily be used for Gn15.
It is a big model(19.206cm / 3.55cm / 7.598cm), so price will be about £65, based on today's Shapeway update(suppose it might depend on exchange rate as well)
I have deliberately left the cab empty to make it easier. Also I could not see details in photos.
The unusual motor bogies are difficult to model, but for me a simple Lima bobo loco will do, A dummy wheel can be added between the 2 on the chassis.
I have already looked at the design in smaller scales(1/76 and 1/87), both of which should fit on Z gauge chassis I think. Version in 5.5mm/ft to fit on 9mm gauge, so this might suit O9 as well. This would be about £21.By shaving off a bit of plastic in the design, price could be brought down a bit.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Re: New 3D printed loco, Crochat 50cm gauge , possible Gn15

Postby chris69 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:20 am

Hi,
that would make a great 1:24 Electric.Keep us posted. Love to see if I could convert one fro my Cement Train.
have been working on one for a while(secret project...lol) but it is not coming along the way I was thinking.
This would be a great base for the Superstructure if the Cab Sections is big enough for Gn15/1:24

Cheers
Chris
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

Hans H
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge and off roading

Postby Hans H » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:13 am

Any news on when this beauty will be a available?

This is one of my favorit locomotives :D

Cheers
Hans
Cheers
Hans Hammarsten
Västerås, Sweden

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:57 pm

I was going to wait till I had one myself, but that might be a while. I will have a look.
=======================================
Just had a look, can't see anything wrong so all made available. I may look at other scales.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

Hans H
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Hans H » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:27 am

I build in 1/35, but the 1/32 is OK by me.
It was love at first sight when I saw that loco, I had plans for a scratch build, but if there is a printed one YEAH! :D
BTW I got your Brigade lok, just not done anything yet with it.

Cheers
Hans
Cheers

Hans Hammarsten

Västerås, Sweden

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:59 am

I had thought about a 1/35th scale version, but it is very narrow, even for 60cm gauge. My current project still is in the grey area between 1/32 and 1/35, one reason I have not yet printed off a model myself. I am having to sort out track first to see what will run(sharp curves).
I do mix and match for some items but for things which are obvious I try to keep the two scales apart.

Chances are the first version I will get printed will be the 1/55 version as it will run on 9mm gauge track. The cab might still be big enough to fit a 1/35th or 1/32nd scale figure.

NEWS: just added a 1/35th scale version to list. It is not as small as I thought. Still finding a chassis might be more difficult. Scale wise 14.2mm gauge track is near spot on for those who are bothered.

And a version for 1/43 scale, which I think could be used as a 15in gauge loco in 1/32 or 1/35th scale. It looks like it might be possible to fit one of the current Tillig TT diesel chassis.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Hans H
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Hans H » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:44 am

This is good news :D
As I want to have mine on 16,5 mm track I think I go with the 1/32
Just having a slight problem with my order, I have one old item left there, that I don't want to buy again, as one is enough I think
I've been in contact with them so I can get my purchase in order, I realy want that great loco, tank you for making it

Best regards
Hans
Cheers

Hans Hammarsten

Västerås, Sweden

Hans H
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Hans H » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:39 pm

Now I have ordered one of those beauties :D

Next problem will be to make it work on the tracks.
Cheers

Hans Hammarsten

Västerås, Sweden

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Thanks for order.
To do it properly the chassis is a bit odd. 3 axles on each bogie in same length as a conventional 2 axle bogie. When I build mine I am cheating and using a conventional chassis with dummy wheels in middle of each bogie.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Hans H
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Hans H » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:57 pm

Well thank You for making it come true :D

As this is a realy nice "little" loco :wink:

http://www.cftt.org/2009/images/photo0057.htm
Cheers

Hans Hammarsten

Västerås, Sweden

Hans H
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Hans H » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:32 pm

I got my Crochet yesterday and it looks as good as I thought it would do :D
Now I just need to find my Co-Co drive mech, a H0 scale Amerkan EMD SD loco

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-x ... JpIjoidCJ9

I hope this link works :roll:
It's a picture of it next to a 1/32 Simplex
Cheers

Hans Hammarsten

Västerås, Sweden

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:52 am

glad you like it. I did have a sudden panic because in some drawings it looked wrong length, but I think that was because I was not looking at the wheels at same time.
Talking of chassis, I will be very interested in how that turns out, as the bogies in reality are very short for 3 axles. My answer is to use a Lima Bo Bo chassis, with dummy middle wheel. In HO it is even more difficult. I got a print of one in HO, to see if it would fit on an N gauge chassis, but it is too narrow a loco. If I find a cheap Marklin Z gauge chassis, I might think about it. Can always be used as a static model .
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:16 am

just got one of the 1/32 scale models. hope to put a Lima chassis in it and test it on my 'Bangers and MASH' layout. I was thinking whether I should go 1/32 or 1/35 scale, but decided a 50cm gauge line was more likely in the jungle terrain, and I also wanted the loco for other projects. I have one of Tom's excellent open coaches which is possibly a bit narrow for 60cm gauge , so is ideal for 50cm gauge. I had considered using it on 12mm gauge as an old Triang wagon fitted perfectly.
It is still unclear why these locos were built with such narrow bodies. The salt line in France does not seem to have a width issue, having seen some photos of the line, so I am thinking my line does have width limits, because of a narrow tunnel further up the line. This will allow me to use some HO bogie wagons, unmodified.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:23 am

fitted a chassis, had not realised how narrow the body is. In effect it is same width as an OO/HO model standard gauge. I luckily had a couple of chassis to try, and after breaking frame for first, realise the chassis for a German diesel with a wider chassis frame(includes part of body), would sit under the Crochat frame. The real bogies are a lot taller than conventional locos, so the framework looks a bit like the bigger bogies. Will need a dummy centre wheel under each bogie. Interestingly it looks like the motor bogie might be the ones used for old tender drive so have a hole for unflanged centre wheel.

Still need to do some tweaks to motor, another useful thing about old Lima motors is that you can usually find a spare part from another model.
Currently it is possibly not suitable for slow running shunting, but ill happily pull the 'non stop' passenger train on layout. I am considering filling the open coach(one of Tom's) with some of those 'pin-up' female figures from Masterbox. They do a set in 1/35, as well as individual ones for 1/24th scale.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:23 am

I would not mind, seeing a few pictures of your progress. Can not really follow, what you are talking about.

Of course, I am looking forward to your Pin Up figures on the loco model: http://www.mbltd.info/models_24.htm

Have Fun

Juergen

Hans H
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Hans H » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:06 pm

I agree would be nice to see some pictures.

And those Pin Up girls, got the 1/35 kit, they are nice :D
Cheers

Hans Hammarsten

Västerås, Sweden

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:01 am

I as going to wait till I could take a photo on layout tonight, but here is a sneak preview of loco. Crudely painted, it needs touching up. Plan to run it on 'Pin-up Express'
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:33 am

Please place a few 1 : 24 scale figures in the picture.

At the moment the loco looks like HO scale and should be moved to "Scale does not matter"

Have Fun

Juergen

Hans H
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Hans H » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:08 am

Looking good Simon, it doesn't look to out of place with those bogies :D

Now I want to go home and see what I can do with mine
Cheers

Hans Hammarsten