Printed Sand Hutton Open wagon

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Printed Sand Hutton Open wagon

Postby KEG » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:25 pm

Not too much Gn15 offerings in this section the past some months. Probably a dead market meanwhile.

Found pictures of these printed models some weeks ago in my German home forum. http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1681&p=9473&hilit=Sand+Hutton#p9473

1 : 27 scale seems a bit unusual, but I was told, they are available in 1 : 24 now as well.

Have Fun

Juergen

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Re: Printed Sand Hutton Open wagon

Postby tebee » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:23 pm

They are my wagons.

The reason they are in 1:27.5 is

1) it's the right scale for modeling 18 inch gauge on 16.5 mm track

2) they are huge ! I did them to 1:24 to start with and got told they were too big - they tower over Steve Bennett wagons, his are around 34mm wide, these are 57mm wide in 1:24. Even in 1:27.5 they are 50mm wide and 78mm long.

I'm working on a home printed version which will be a kit and somewhat cheaper I hope.

1:24 version - http://shpws.me/IafV
1:27.5 version - http://shpws.me/HUmS
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:59 pm

One of the problems of modelling minimum gauge, is the relatively high cost to produce stuff by 3D printing. I have just had someone ask me about my 2ohp Simplex model , and I think either wondering if the 1/35th scale version could be adapted to Gn15(it might be possible, but it is very small for a 1/24th scale figure to sit on), or upping the model to 1/24th scale. I estimate this would cost about 3 times the price of the 1/35th scale version. I could do it, I might even thin down some parts, but it is actually a quite complex design.
I intend to eventually do a 1/19th scale version, but it really needs more detail added, such as driver controls etc. It is on the to do list. A track powered chassis is the difficult part.
Would there be any interest in a 1/24th scale 20hp Simplex? I estimate width would be just over 5cm.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:41 pm

Well 3x the 1/35 price is $60. If it is 50 mm wide, that is at the max loading gauge for GN15, but not outrageous. Perhaps a Bachmann diesel chassis could power it? Just brainstorming with you. 1/19 would require O gauge (32mm) track, would it not?
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:06 pm

It is not an overly high price. It is just that some have come into Gn15 because they can build cheaply. It is the old problem of publicity. I am sure that if promoted better to the G gauge crowd they might pay for 3d printed Gn15 models, possibly fully assembled and painted.
The 1/19th version would be for 32mm gauge track. Just trying to source a cheapish track powered chassis. Battery operation, no problem. I am thinking of modifying a Faller E-train chassis, although you can get a Black Beetle(or it it a BulllAnt) with wheels for 32mm gauge(cheap fo O gauge but possibly not cheap enough for me, and the wheels might be too finescale)
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:34 pm

The value does seem to be there, even for the gn15 model. After all, Steves locos were about 30 pounds. At $1.55 per pound, then that's about 46 bucks, and you then had to assemble them. Now most of us like assembling models, but it is also nice just to wash them off and paint them, like the 3-D kind. It is all good. I'll bet there is a market for 3-D kits, so you can customize them. Course then you need to print parts rather than the whole model.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9, 15" gauge, industrial modelling

Postby Brack » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:53 pm

further to Tom's wagon designs, I was asked to produce my Woolwich Arsenal PW Mclellan Styrene Van body to 1/27 scale as well, to fit on the chassis from Tom's Sand Hutton Wagons (http://www.shapeways.com/product/BS9BZSBEL/gn15-sand-hutton-wagon-chassis?li=search-results-1&optionId=56023636).

This is a photo of the O9 version, the 1/27 is the same, just bigger (made to 1/27 for the same reason as Tebee's opens - real 18" stuff can be very big!)

(instructions - http://brackmodels.weebly.com/woolwich-4w-van-in-o9.html)

It could be put on other chassis if you'd rather.

I produce them to order, so PM me if anyone is interested. Normal price is £12 each (inc. UK P&P). As it happens I have 3 spare and ready cut lying about the place, so I'd offer those at £30 the lot.

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”