Simplex in 1/24th scale

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Simplex in 1/24th scale

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:20 am

I was asked a couple of weeks ago, if it would be possible to resize my 3D printed model into 1/24th scale for a GN15 project. I said I would look at it, and found I had already done the work, so just made it available to buy.
Someone called Kevin bought one, he says he uses this forum, so please comment on here about the model. Apparently it will fit the Bachmann On30 tram chassis.
I am also planning to do the model in 1/19th scale, but am still adding extra detail(rivets etc), which I may be able to incorporate in the 1/24 version. It is a complex design, one reason I have left it to last, to resize. Smallest so far is a 1/160 version(non working!), but I have managed to find a new 9mm gauge chassis to fit the OO9 version. This motorized chassis might be of interest to O9 and G 9 modellers wanting a small powered loco. Check out Plaza Japan for the 9mm gauge chassis.
Last edited by rue_d_etropal on Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Re: Simplex in 1/24th scale

Postby docnjoj » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:11 pm

I would buy it in a heartbeat but I am playing with G9 at the moment and am looking for the slightly smaller one line 1/27. I get paid next week and may just get them both. Great work! Luv them Simplexes.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:09 pm

Thing is, I had forgotten I had done a 1/24th scale version, until prompted. I wonder how much interest there would be for one in 1/27 scale. I presume that is for 18in gauge. :idea:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

kevo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn 15 132 scale 135 scale

Postby kevo » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:29 am

hi just seen on gnatter box ime the lucky owner of the 1/24 bow frame simplex . its excellent ile be add ing a cab and few other bits as i get time ile putt some pictures up later this week . the bachmann on30 tram power unit easely fits . any one who,s been after a gn 15 simplex i can recomend this :D kevo
kevin piper

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, the web, photography, art, outdoor life like camping, biking, paddling canoe etc.

Postby henrix72se » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:13 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:I was asked a couple of weeks ago, if it would be possible to resize my 3D printed model into 1/24th scale for a GN15 project. I said I would look at it, and found I had already done the work, so just made it available to buy.
Someone called Kevin bought one, he says he uses this forum, so please comment on here about the model. Apparently it will fit the Bachmann On30 tram chassis.
I am also planning to do the model in 1/19th scale, but am still adding extra detail(rivets etc), which I may be able to incorporate in the 1/24 version. It is a complex design, one reason I have left it to last, to resize. Smallest so far is a 1/160 version(non working!), but I have managed to find a new 9mm gauge chassis to fit the OO9 version. This motorized chassis might be of interest to O9 and G 9 modellers wanting a small powered loco. Check out Plaza Japan for the 9mm gauge chassis.

I would be interested in a 1/20 or 1/19 scale version of the simplex.

Henrik
I build Estate, Industrial and Military Light Railways in Fn18 (1/20) scale - http://Laurell.Today/

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:07 pm

just being playing with the design for the 1/19 version. It is getting to the point where odd errors pop in because I assume of machine memory etc, so think this is final version. I might be able to re-size it to 1/24, but I am becoming wary of making any changes.
This show bonnet in position. It is actually printed as separate piece.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:29 pm

That is gorgeous. I'm trying to figure out how to use the 1/35 scale one for G9. Bigger seat maybe.
David(Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:46 pm

To fit a G scale figure on the 1/35 scale version would need the seat chopped and probably the brake handle replaced. Hard enough squeezing in a 1/35th scale figure. These machines are not that big. Having said that it would make a nice G9 model. Should be able to fit a Kato chassis easily.
I am not tempted to change the design of the model, as it is the seat and handbrake area which is a mess of add and takeaway.
Trouble with making comments like that, is that it tends to light a very small spark for an idea :idea:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:23 pm

I'm gunna go for it. The 1/24 is just too big. Your suggestions make sense for the small versions of the Simplex, like I think this one could be. Kato chassis.
David(Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:36 pm

OK the 1/35 is ordered. This is addicting. When I do go back to gn15 i'll have to get the bigger one. This is fun.
David(Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Re: Simplex in 1/24th scale and now G9 version

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:21 pm

That small spark turned into a G9 version

and a plan to help judge size. I think a G scale figure would fit
as with the others the bonnet is a separate piece, this is good space for extra weight to be added.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:09 pm

I have made this available. I checked the drawing against a Kato chassis I have and it is the right length, just. Would need someway of securing the chassis, but it is very easy to stick wood or card to the 3d printed plastic.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

kevo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby kevo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:20 pm

oops just thought :shock: i have for got to say that if any body dus try a bachmann tram on30 power unit for the 1/24 simplex you have to shorten the power unit by 1cm off each end to make it fit :lol:
kevin piper

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:46 pm

Is there a difference between the 1/35 that I ordered and the G9 one? I would surely prefer the G9 if possible.The Kato unit I have is pretty small once you cut off the couplers. From screw to screw with the couplers sawed off the chassis is 1.625 inches long. That there is about 41.2mm for you European types. I also have an old great running Arnold 4 wheel diesel chassis that is even smaller.
I run Deltang radio and I would probably put the battery in a trailing car. The receiver is tiny enough to fit in the bonnet. Maybe the battery too.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:03 am

The main difference between the G9 version and the 1/35th scale version is the bigger seat and handbrake. A couple of extra rivets probably. I am looking at so many models now, I am losing track. The Kato chassis should just fit. I put one against a drawing and it looks OK.
For anyone thing about an O9 version, I am considering that, The standard 1/43rd scale version could be used for O9, but I am planning a 1/55 scale version(12mm gauge) so this could be fitted with a bigger seat to make a O9 mini version. Would need one of the ultra small N gauge chassis.
For an even smaller version the OO9 version could also be adapted.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, the web, photography, art, outdoor life like camping, biking, paddling canoe etc.

Postby henrix72se » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:51 pm

Looks great!

Did you finish the 16mm scale version, if so what's the printing price for WSF and FUD please ?

Henrik
I build Estate, Industrial and Military Light Railways in Fn18 (1/20) scale - http://Laurell.Today/

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby henrix72se » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:09 pm

Just ordered the 16mm scale version from Shapeways. If anyone interested I can take pictures when it arrives.

Henrik

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:32 pm

Hey folks
I really gotta tell you this. My 1/35 Simplex that I have waited patient for just got sent to Puerto Rico to a com;letely wrong zipcode. Ya see, I live in Alabama.!

Yay USPS! They did it wrong again. Story of why they are really going bankrupt!
Sorry for the rant and no reflection on Shapeways. They have the right address on the invoice.
I am supposed to be called back by the USPS in 15 minutes. We shall update further.
David(Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:48 pm

Update to lost Simplex. Well a nice lady named Susan said that the would initiate a search and send me regular updates when they find the package. If it does not show rerouting by Monday I need to call them again and they will initiate a case. Sounds like the cops and missing persons. They don't do anything for 48 hours.
Oh well, it is only a hobby.
David
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

kevo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby kevo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:30 am

hi david really sorry to hear about your simplex . its allways things you look forward 2 that go missing never the junk mail . hope UPS pull there finger out and sort it .
kevin piper

DCRFAN 3
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:01 pm

I received a lost parcel 2 years after it was sent so you may need to hold on a few days :roll:

It was a purse my wife left in a hotel. It was found when the postal service was closing down a sorting facility and the truck loading ramp was pulled away from the wall. The slim parcel had slipped down into the gap. The mail does get through ...... eventually

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:08 pm

Well surprise of surprises they started rerouting the package out of Puerto Rico. Where it stops nobody knows. :?
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:16 am

sorry to hear about postal problems. So far(?) we have only had minor delivery problems with UPS in the UK. First time for me was something being left at depot over Easter(frustrating when I had wanted to take item to York), second time was a day's delay, allegedly caused by the Channel Tunnel delays. It is frustrating that they only deliver on working days(ie Monday to Friday, but not on bank holidays) .
At least items are tracked so you can see where they are(allegedly), unlike when some people have grumbled about items not being posted, and causing a bit of a meltdown on this forum. When Shapeways here have a delay, they tend to use express service to deliver, which takes less than 24 hours normally.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:00 pm

Thanks Simon but the USPS has actually attempted some "customer service". We know the package left Puerto Rico. Stay tuned.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:39 pm

Well the USPS actually delivered the package to Mobile, AL just across the bay from me. It may show up today, but certainly by tomorrow. Good news.
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”