New plans for my 3D printing

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

New plans for my 3D printing

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:56 pm

I have just sent out a press release to magazines concerning my plans for my 3D printing next year. As I have been designing items faster than they can be publicised it made sense to send out some info. I noticed that one of the laser cut kit manufacturers had sent out a press release, and BRM magazine put it in magazine, so maybe that is acceptable these days, especially when I have so many designs, and could not hope to send samples of everything to magazines.
Just in case no one puts it in magazines , here is a copy
PRESS RELEASE from Recreation21(Rue d’Étropal)

2015 has been a busy year for Recreation21, in the design department.

The range of inset track has now extended to cover gauges from 6.5mm up to 45mm . Some new items, and new scaled versions of WW1 era and other narrow gauge locos and wagons have also been developed.
The big change in 2015 has been the creation of a new web front end for the Shapeways e-shop, which makes it easier to see what is in the range, link to specific items on Shapeways e-shop, and also includes track templates to print off. Online selling is still handled by Shapeways .

New ‘wrap around’ inlay sections have been added to the range for OO/HO gauge.

A start has been made on a code 75 version on inset track range, and new track designs are being added to both code100 and code 75 track ranges. It should also be possible to fit code 83 rail in the sections designed for code 75 rail.

There is some exciting news for 2016.

Firstly Recreation21 is going on the road, and attending UK model railway exhibitions, either as a demonstrator to show how the track designs work, or as a trader where a limited number of items will be on sale.

New track designs are planned, along with more code 75 rail versions.

The possibility of bespoke designs for those planning layouts, requiring something different to the standard range.

Simon Dawson BA.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

I casually included the last new idea, the possibility of designing bespoke track for people. Not sure how this would work out, as it can take quite a lot of time to do some designs.

As for exhibitions, I have some already booked, both as a demonstrator and as a trader. Initially looking for those within easy reach, but am willing to attend shows further away, especially big shows and for demonstrating how to use my track. I have hoping to get a very small stock of lower cost items, but if it proves successful I may be able to afford more stock. Essentially this is an online business, but I need to get items to show to people.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

lenelg
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge, logging

Re: New plans for my 3D printing

Postby lenelg » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:01 am

Simon,

Your press release assumes a great deal of advance knowledge, both by the reader and by the editor deciding whether it is worth publishing. Works here on Gnatterbox, but for a broader audience you need an introduction: What is the focus of your company, for which scales do you offer products etc. I am not sure everyone understands the term "inset track" etc.

/Lennart Elg
Lennart Elg

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:06 pm

I had already been in contact with the magazines before. CM and RM have both done reviews, and Chris Leigh did some articles in Model Rail magazine to show off my track. The other magazines have had info, but have not, so far done, more. The thing with press releases is to keep them short, something I have been told about concerning any press release.
I had thought magazines always worked from 'samples' sent to them, but then there was a mention of some new products from a wargaming manufacturer in BRM magazine, and a mention on RMweb, so thought maybe a short press release might get more attention. Time will tell. I may follow it up with more 'new release' info.

Terminology is a possible problem. Refer to my track as tram track, and railway modelers think it is for trams, not trains. Chris Leigh used the term 'rails in the street', so something like that. It is easy to mention examples where inset track is used, such as in dockyards or on quaysides, but that can make the message too long. The main reason for going out to exhibitions is to show the track off, and I think this gets the message over best of all.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

velotrain
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15

Postby velotrain » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:42 pm

> " It is easy to mention examples where inset track is used, such as in dockyards or on quaysides, but that can make the message too long."

I disagree. The first few times I saw you mentioning inset track, I had no idea what you were talking about, as I'd say it's far from a universal term.

The other thing is that you want to get modelers thinking about how they could use the product.

You might include older industrial estates, such as brickworks, breweries, etc. - especially for NG use.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:34 pm

let me ask a question then. How would you sum up the type of track I have designed? Is there a simple term? From talking to one tram modeller, I think the tram modellers have it easy, as they can describe it as tram track. Is the Weymouth harbour branch a tramway?
I would like to be able to describe it as tram track,as I think of tram track as anything that is rails set in the road, but it used to be used on maps, to refer to any railway that as not mainline, or possibly even standard gauge. I have a, looks like a 1040s, local map, which shows two quarry to brick yard lines, and each is marked as a tramway. Confusing? These quarry lines definitely do not have rails inset into the road.
One reason I created my own web front-end for the Shapeways e-shop I have, is so people can see a picture, and I hope those pictures show what I mean, as words do not seem to be good enough.
Going back to the press release. I am not trying to explain what I am doing from the beginning, just the new projects I am planning, ie exhibitions and possibility of bespoke design.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

velotrain
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15

Postby velotrain » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:51 am

Part of what I was trying to say is that I don't think there is any one term for it that is known / accepted by all model railroaders - even within a single country. Here in the States I think "street track" might be most common, but then nowadays that would mean track surrounded by asphalt, vs. paving stones. I've lately been interested in Japanese tram lines, and I'd say a minority of that is street running. Tram may well have a different meaning in the UK.

It's due to the lack of common terminology that I suggest you include at least a sentence regarding usage of the product in any press release.

I just noticed that Lennart also questions the use of "inset track".

One suggestion would be to produce pieces to fit on the inside and outside of your curved sections, and perhaps even include them with the curves. I've never seen examples of track set in cobbles with some other material on the outside of the rails. Of course each modeler will need to fit the track in their own individual scheme, but it would be useful to provide material for the area adjoining the rails. You could also offer larger sheets of matching cobbles to help fill in the surrounding spaces.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:38 am

...... I don't think there is any one term for it that is known / accepted by all model railroaders....

Simply enclose a picture of the product in the press release and everybody will know, what you are talking about.
In most cases, people working for railroad magazines have at least a basic knowlodge of the prototype. They will know the difference between track on sleepers or embedded in cobble stone.

I think, this thread should be in Blether or "Scale does not matter" . I don´t see very much Gn15 or 1 /24th scale in it.

Have Fun

Juergen

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”