operating doors and gates

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Re: operating doors and gates

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:09 am

that's a pain, message did not post as site has error sometimes for me.
Anyway, I have done initial design without doors. Not sure yet, as plenty of G scale stuff around. May look at O and G scale . I am trying out ideas, most don't work, but some do. Some are happy to scratch-build or use 2D printed stuff, but I prefer a proper 3D look. 2D works OK for me in background. Many give up when they have problems, I am trying to offer them that ability to get over that hurdle, but at the same time feel they have been part of the process.
Cost is used as an excuse, but cost out your time, and it comes pretty high. Most think that is worth while, but others want to use that time for other things. There has been a big advance in r2r and r2p models, following on from ready to lay track. At one time if you wanted good quality track you had to build it yourself. Many still do, and many would like to but have not got the skills or time.

Maybe it is the years creeping up on me, but overall weight of a layout, or a transportable module is more important to me now. 3D printed models are very lightweight, which actually causes problems for locos and rolling stock, but is a boon for scenery, Even plastic buildings add up and are ultimately unmovable. I know, because that is one thing that inspired my online name, when I realised a heavy layout built on an old door was not practical. I am currently looking at both suitcase sized layouts and ones built using boxfiles. Both must be lightweight. Even the APA box, much as I love it has its limitations for transport.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”