New 3D Models in Gn15 and 3/8n20

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

csundstr
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Modelling small industrial prototypes in 3/8n20.

New 3D Models in Gn15 and 3/8n20

Postby csundstr » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:45 pm

As I have mentioned in the past, I have started using 3D printing for my personal Minimum Gauge models. I recently purchased a fully licenced copy of Solidworks 2016 for my design engineering contracting business and I am using this to generate new 3D models for printing on Shapeways as well.

My primary modelling scale is 1:32n20 (1:32 on 16.5mm track), but as it is relatively easy to scale parts up to 1:24 I will be providing most of the models in that scale as well. Many of these models have not been printed (in Beta); they are brand new and I haven't had a chance to put an order in yet!

Here are samples of two of the newest models:

A small rail mounted hand crane suitable for small estate railways or workshops:

Reversible bench seats modeled after those found on the Groudle Glen carriages:

The latter are also available in eight-packs to save money.

Other new products include Gn15 Heywood Early Cars, Operating Gn15 Heywood couplers, 1:32 sugar cane cars, 1:24 axes, 1:32 portable track ties and assembly jigs and even monorail track and (display) cars.

To see all of these, please see our Shapeways store: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/keeneye

Despite the fact that I have eight binders of drawings and catalog pages full of ideas for future products, I am quite happy to entertain requests for new products. I am especially interested in hearing people's wish lists: sets of tools, domestic tools, basic cars, machinery, couplers, detail parts? Please message me with your requests.

Happy modeling! I plan to have more models available on Shapeways soon and I will keep updating the Gnatterbox as Gn15 parts are uploaded.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Sundstrom
Keen Eye Models - Industrial Prototypes in 1/24, 1/32 and 1/43 Scales
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/keeneye?sort=name&s=0

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Re: New 3D Models in Gn15 and 3/8n20

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:15 pm

the crane looks interesting. is it one piece, or do you have to assemble it, and then maybe operational.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:34 pm

Hi Chris,
had a look at your page,great stuff, my compliments. The Skips and frame look great, any chance of bringing them out in 1:24 ?
best
Chris
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:41 pm

Me too. What Chris asked.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

csundstr
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby csundstr » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi Simon. The crane comes in two pieces (base with pillar and crane boom/winch). The wheels are standard wheelsets gently snapped into place. Flush axle wheelsets would be best but you could cut, grind or file pointed axle wheelsets into flush wheelsets. The crane could be "disassembled" into more parts so that it could be made operational; are you interested in a version like this? I did design/draw the gears to be potentially operational.

Chris/David, the skips (Fowler/Hudson "Diamond Field" skips) could be re-done in 1:24. I have to re-draw the entire frame, though, to change the gauge. The end-on proportions would be slightly different as the frame would have to be narrower than the prototype. I have the new NGRS 1915 Hudson catalog reprint and there are photos showing this frame style with link & pin couplers which would be more useful in real-world modeling than the hook and chain version I currently have online. I will see about making this modification this week.

I have added several new models over the past few days; I will be posting images soon.

Chris
Chris Sundstrom

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:43 pm

Chris, thanks for info. I was not specifically interested myself, but I am sure a fully working crane would be interesting to some modellers. I have far too many projects on the go at the moment. I have found that for working items WSF (ie nylon) is strong and smooth (it starts out rough, but quickly wears smooth and moving parts move easily). If the gears printed OK(???) then it would all interlock well.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:31 pm

Hi Chris,
thanks for the info.
You straight chassis would be a great base for these cars, based on card kit.

The chassis is made from single parts of plastruct channels, yours with the hook coupler would be the exact prototype.
Have a great day
Chris
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

csundstr
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby csundstr » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:37 am

Here are three new cars I have uploaded to Shapeways for Gn15. These cars are inspired by cars illustrated in John Fowler & Co. catalogues from the 1880's through 1890's.

First, a Closed Goods Wagon:

Second, a Platform Goods Wagon with end planks:

Finally, the basic Platform Wagon version of the car:

All of the cars are designed to use Hornby 14.1mm diameter wheelsets and to have lead or other weights glued in place under the car to bring the weight up for operation. The couplers are hook and loop with a captive loop (which can be cut away and standard loops used). The axleboxes are attached to the bottom with sprues and should be cut away and mounted into the alignment holes with glue as the wheelsets are added.

The doors and door latches on the Closed Goods Wagon are operational, as are the loops of the couplers, although you may need hot water to melt any residual support wax from the 3D printing process that may be sticking them in place.

These cars are 7 scale feet over the end beams and 3'4" in width.

Due to the detail included they are only printable in FUD. I can make multiple cars per print job available if desired.

Hope you enjoy these cars.

Chris
Chris Sundstrom

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”