(M) Sidelines presents: Titch and Ant

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

(M) Sidelines presents: Titch and Ant

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:00 pm

Yes, two new loco's in one go, well sort of :) . Aimed mainly at those wishing to make a start with 9mm gauge, but may also be suitable for those wanting a tiny loco for 16.5mm gauge aswell. At only 57mm in length (excluding couplers), 27mm wide and 43mm (46mm for Ant) to the top of the hood/bonnet, this little baby is tiny. The upper structure on both versions is the same, the underframes being different to accomodate the two different mechanisms. Here are a couple more shots.

I hope that all makes sense, but if you have any queries, ask away :)
Last edited by Steve Bennett on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:53 pm

Here's my model of Titch, not quite complete as yet, still need to work out where to put the brake lever (and what type of brake lever). Not painted yet either, but being put through it's paces by two prospective drivers! :D

Other pictures here:-

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m248 ... e%20Titch/

I'm sure there's a breach of Health & Safety laws somewhere! :twisted:
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:33 pm

Detailing of Titch continues, added the (modified) brake lever, the starting handle & bearing, and the pinch bars and brackets.

More pictures here: -

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m248 ... ?start=all

Why the pinch bars I hear you ask (or it may be the cats asking for food), well the thought process ran like this. The model has an indent for starting handle access in the molding, so let's open it up. Once the hole was drilled it was obvious it needed a bearing, so that and a starting handle was fabricated. If you are going to provide a manual starting handle, you need a place to store the handle, and more importantly, the room to be able to use it. If a wagon is coupled to the front of the loco, then it will be necessary to move one or the other to provide the access. Then you need to be able to carry the bars.....

One thing sort of lead to another...... :twisted:

Still, lots of fun :mrgreen:
Barry Weston

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

UPDATE

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:51 am

Sorry about this, but they have proved more popular than I expected and the moulds are completely worn out, so I need to find the time to make new moulds, hence the delay.

Just to show that I don't sit here at the computer replying to the forum all the time :) here's a shot of this weekends output.

Probably doesn't look much, but in among this lot are 120+ wagon chassis, 50+ wagon bodies, 12 loco kits and a host of other parts. I'm really not looking forward to cleaning up and packaging this lot, let alone putting all the wheels in those wagon chassis :roll: Oh I suppose I had better add, when I say a weekend's work, that amounts to about 42 hours :)
Last edited by Steve Bennett on Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:57 pm

Interesting to hear that the mould has worn out for the new kit. Is that a record? Just out of interest, how often do you have to re-make the moulds?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is a record, for me anyway :) . The mould life does vary a bit, but on average I probably get about 25 usable pieces from a mould, sometimes as many as 30. With a new kit like this, the first couple of pours are used to determine where there are any problem areas and quite often consigned to the bin. I'm pleased to say that wasn't the case for this one and they were used to test build to make sure it fitted together properly.

Thanks for your appreciation, not what I was looking for :) . I took the photo as I was pretty pleased with the output and just thought it would lay to rest the myth that I sit here waiting to reply :) . Ironically, most of what is seen here is for Avalon Line, so not much Gn15, though there are a few kits for Back2Bay6 and Brettzler in Germany.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:47 pm

Clutch & exhaust added, next stop the paint shop! :D
Barry Weston

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:06 pm

As you can see she has been painted and her driver has new boots :D
I've put a very small bit of weathering on the loco, the rest will probably be done with powders.

A few more pictures here: -

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m248 ... e%20Titch/

I haven't painted the pinch bars yet :wink:
Barry Weston

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”