(M) Listers for sale

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

(M) Listers for sale

Postby scott b » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:37 am

OK, some of you have seen the pictures Brian Fayle posted of the Listers I am casting. A couple of you now own some Listers I have cast.

Here are the pictures Brian posted again and if anyone is interested please feel free to PM me.
This as you can see is a skip framed single cylinder Lister, it is not designed to fit any specific drive unit although I have been told it will fit a 31mm Black Beetle unit almost perfectly. The price is $60cdn. + shipping.

This is the more standard channel frame style Lister we are used to. It is designed to fit on a shortened Bachmann On30 trolley drive mech, not included. I have made it so you can choose to make a single cylinder or 2 cylinder, both engine blocks are included with this one as is a small "wooden" box that will sit in front of the engine between the 2 sand boxes. It does come with a Lister type tractor seat (not pictured)
The price is $70cdn + shipping.

Thank you Brian for the pics.

Again PM me with any questions and shipping to the UK for a single model is just under $8cdn. at the moment.

Scott

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:51 pm

Here are a couple of pics of the Skip framed version matched to a 31mm wheelbase Black Beetle. The length is perfect, but the one pictured has only got 10.5mm diameter wheels, they certainly do a 12mm wheeled version and possible a 14mm diameter which would be even better. There is nothing holding the frame on the power unit in the pics, just friction, it really is a snug fit, but would need something to hold it in place.

Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Catweasel
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways,Folk and Blues etc.

Lister Power

Postby Catweasel » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:56 am

I have ordered a @Beetle unit specced as follows. 31mm wheelbase,14mm wheels,110thou wide,27:1 gearing and 16.5 gauge.As expected, it lists as a special and will take around 3 weeks. I can live with that. I've also told him what the unit is for and that we expect it to be quite popular both here and abroad. Can he give us a preferential price.I'll keep you informed as to reply. I don't have a symbol for tongue in cheek :!:
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way

Sir Briand
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Sir Briand » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:37 am

Here are a couple of good shots of Scott's Lister.

I hope he has now made his own 3 slot coupler pockets :twisted: . The ones here are my superdetailing effort. We have had some discussion about making the petrol engine. Thinking is to make it "solid" with the engine cast in place. If this area is painted black and then the high spots dry brushed it should work. Potential here for the 2 different hood/bonnet shapes to be made. What say you out there?

Cyril has been modified so he no longer leans sideways but still has the appropriate Lister driver slouch. Sir Crouton has the master so if you want a copy of him contact Schomberg Scale Models, or Scott, and maybe he can be persuaded to make the new mould and provide some clones. I am working on another version and want to try one with a separate right arm. One version to rest on the brake wheel and another to rest on the lap. Nothing like being ambitious. Hey, the white metal guys make separate arms and heads so why not the resinators as well :?:

The driver I would really like to make is this one:

Colchester Gravel 1932 I think. Comes from a Lister catalogue. Looks like there is quite a platform under the drivers feet. Definitely one of my favourite "Lister at work" photos.
Sir BRIANd :wink:
Paint your people to look like they belong!
http://www.brifayle.ca

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby scott b » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:37 am

Hello gentlemen, I now have the ability to post some pics
right side front view
left side view

what to do with all the practice bits,
put them together add paint and rust and more rust and dirt and there you go a junker for the back lot.

I will get some more pictures of the skip framed version.

Thanks for all the interest everyone has shown so far.

Scott

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby scott b » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:13 am

I took a pic of my skip framed lister
this is a picture of the test model so the pockets are solid but they are not on the actual model available.

Scott

Catweasel
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways,Folk and Blues etc.

Lister Power

Postby Catweasel » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:13 pm

I'm not at home at the moment, but I have now received the Black Beetle unit for the Skip Lister. First impression is of a solid build. I ordered 14 mm wheels and 27:1 gears. The wheels are silver in colour, but that can be sorted easily. The gearing is a bit of a puzzle though. The final drive is what looks like 2:1 spur behind the wheels so it must have a Tenshodo type arrangement internally, driving back externally. I'm not going to take it apart to find out. When I get home I'll take some piccy's and post so you lot can have a ganders. Not cheap, but worth it I think.
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby scott b » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:05 pm

here`s the layout of parts before assembly, OK I`m saving for a tripod and I will learn to shoot a picture with the digital camera...eventually.

Scott

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Lister Detail

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:08 pm

Here's my version of Scott's Skip Lister:
I have no problem in modifying the kit as Scott's hand written comments accompanying the kit read as follows:
" There are so many different versions of these engines I was hard pressed to find two the same".
I certainly recommend the kits, I've the larger one to build as well when it comes out of hiding :oops:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby scott b » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:44 am

Here are some pics of a Bachmann power truck from the trolley.
They show the unit after it has been cut down to proper size to fit under my Lister model. This unit will also fit under the SSM Winky kit. It is a good little runner for anything you may want to build and of course it is priced much lower than similar quality items from other manufacturers.
Side view
It needs to be cut down to 7.4cm long, when you look at it after removing it from the trolley the place to shorten it is obvious as there are angled sides coming off the wheels that come up to the bit that the screws go through to connect it to the trolley model and that is the part that needs to be removed.
3/4 view, you can see the silver area at the end where the end parts were cut off.
and here is the top view with the motor and pickups shown.

Scott

Frank Savery
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Anything NG

Lister Photos

Postby Frank Savery » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:09 am

Hi Guys,
Might be new to some.
A source of good detailk photos of Listers (and other industrial locos) is :
http://www.bagofbits.com/

Because of it's off beat name I don't think it would come up in any searches, for Listers, industrial locos, etc.
Well worth a look,
Cheers
Frank Savery,
General Manager & Sweeper-Upperer,
Penguin Tramway,
King Island Tramway.
Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby scott b » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:37 pm

After what seems like ages here are some pictures of my new petrol Lister
Right side
left side
front 3/4
rear 3/4

these are now available to ship at the same low low price of $70cdn plus USUALLY $8cdn.

Sir Briand
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Sir Briand » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:17 pm

Scott's latest Lister effort, his 1 cylinder Petrol model, got me all excited. They are my favourite by far.

My professional life was spent doing what amounts to matching patterns. Was it a normal one or an abnormal one? My modelling tends to follow the same course. I take lots of photographs and when I am satisfied that the pattern bears a pretty good likeness to reality I am happy. This applies to layouts and virtually everything else. This is how I got into my figure painting The pattern in photos of models with figures did not match real people in photos. An analysis led to "faking" the shadows which is what my method essentially does.

It was this pattern recognition business that got me going on the Winky kit. The border round the builders name and the nuts along the bottom of the cab and on the frame were not there. Hello!!

I have quite a large collection of Lister photos taken from the web and from books and magazines so have a number of patterns to check against.

Looking at Scott's latest offering the pattern recognition mechanism kicked in and alarm bells rang loudly. After a week of mucking about reason has prevailed. First off, the Lister that Scott has modelled is a very rare one. It is the first plan that appears on Tilston's set for the Lister. It has no side weights, has extra long end weights and straight sided axleboxes. It looks ugly. :shock: The model looks ugly. To a large extent this is because the buffer block is hanging up out there. Beefing up the front of the weight would improve things considerably. A do it yourself project.

The more I studied this offering and the original Diesel the more I was impressed by the design of the basic chassis. It really does sit down nicely on the Bachmann trolley mechanism. The sideframes clasp the mechanism surprisingly firmly. At least they do on mine and nothing else has to be done.

Inconsistencies between model and reality kept popping up. I have now modified the one I have and have kept Scott posted of my doings. The end weights have been modified, the deck has been opened up at the back, sand box levers added and the gearbox unit has been rebuilt. I will be seeing Scott on Sunday at the Brampton Train Show and will be going over all these with him. The gearbox unit really is one of the unique things about a Lister. I think the one I have come up with is castable with a few minor changes.

I am very excited about the possibilities using the basic parts Scott will have.

Chassis wise there could be:
1/ The ugly looking one.
2/ Same with normal end weights.
3/ Add centre weights
4/ Use the angle sided axle boxes that the original chassis came with with centre weights and normal end weights. This was by far the commonest version.

Engine wise:
1/ Diesel - and you can use Scott's bits in all sorts of ways. He has bits for the 2 cylinder version as well.
2/ 1 cylinder petrol engine and hood/bonnet
3/ A 2 cylinder petrol engine and bonnet would be nice to have.

With the engine/chassis combinations possible you should be able to duplicate many of the prototypes.

In addition you can add a canopy, a covered body either a Lister one or one of your own design. Lots of those around. And so on.

Scott you are building an Aladdins Cave for Listermaniacs :D :D :D

Now for some images to brighten up the post.

The back end weights have been modified and are hung correctly under the lower flange of the end beam. I had modified Scott's originals but only noticed the way they were hung later. A job for next week.

A nice look at the result to date.

The gearbox unit. Still needed a bit of fine tuning before it was installed.

No apologies for the length of the post. I am excited. Can't wait to get my Lister version on Sunday.
:D :D :D

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby scott b » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:07 pm

I`ve finished putting together the Lister with the changes,
In the side view you can see the shortened couplers and the end weights sit closer to the frame.
In the 3/4 front view you can see the correct 3 hole couplers.
In this view you can see the much more open gear box and cross members
Hopefully this makes for a more realistic and correct model.

Scott B

Sir Briand
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Sir Briand » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:42 am

Being a picky sort of guy it has taken me a while to finish off my petrol Lister. Thanks to a bit of bugging of Scott by me the kit now contains a very acceptable set of parts. Having said that there is room for improvement, mostly using the parts supplied, to match more closely the information that I have picked up over the last few years from Googling "Lister rail truck". These images and Tilston's plans have proved invaluable.

If you go back up this post to the last images Scott posted you should notice that there is a change in the appearance of the bonnet. This now has more of the appearance of the single cylinder one in that the front is set back from the front edge of the frame more than Scott has his. This involved some relatively simple fettling. The main job was to get the grille set flush into the front edges of the side parts which required fairly drastic thinning of the piece supplied. Once this was done new angle brackets and other bits were added.

Figuring out how to get the pieces of the motor unit to go together proved a challenge. Just in case anyone else has the same problem I colour coded the pieces before assembling and final painting.

Well worth the effort. The colour scheme comes from the "Bagofbits" site.
(Incidentally I have found it helps to give the resin parts that count a light dusting with rust powder.)

The driver, Jan, is "Jon" with a Spirito head. Looking at him sitting on his seat ( the kit's seat with the outer edge trimmed off. Note to self: make a thinner support.) I realised that his left foot should be resting on an accelerator pedal. Further surgery to his ankle elevated his toes the requisite amount so the pedal could be slipped underneath and the heel rest added to complete the picture.

(I couldn't wait for the rear buffer to arrive from Scott. I was so pleased with the accelerator pedal I had to share it with you guys. A definite AO :D :D )

Again thank you Scott for all the effort you have put into this kit.

DuffieldBank
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15, miniature railways, live steam, anything Heywood

Re: (M) Listers for sale

Postby DuffieldBank » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:59 pm

Now I know this thread is a decade old, but are these locos still available? Surely someone kept the master patterns. I'd even take a built up model that has been left under the workbench.

All in all, I'd love a few of the channel frame Listers...

Sigh.

Chris
I like pie.

southpier
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: large scale narrow gauge micro layouts

Re: (M) Listers for sale

Postby southpier » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:13 am

I agree: the time has come to release the kit with all its improvements.

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”