3-D printed Gn15 steam locos

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

3-D printed Gn15 steam locos

Postby tebee » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:59 pm

Some one complained about the lack of these, well it's given me the impetus to get the ones I had part completed, if not entirely finished, at least up to a savable condition.

First a couple of small Heywood Katie inspired estate locos

These were designed to fit a Bachman Percy chassis - the reason they never got released was because I never got around to buying one of there to check if it fitted, but looking at some of the dimensions posted on here it should be OK.

Some slightly bigger locos that owe their inspiration to RockyBottom's locos on "Smithies yard", to fit the Hornby "Smokie Joe" chassis

To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:52 pm

I think I could find a place for the top and bottom ones :)
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, the web, photography, art, outdoor life like camping, biking, paddling canoe etc.

Postby henrix72se » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Great looking designs! thanks for showing us.

/Henrik
I build Estate, Industrial and Military Light Railways in Fn18 (1/20) scale - http://Laurell.Today/

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:56 pm

Some more been added now

A Spooner quarry loco

A hunslet quarry tank - not 100% happy with this one yet - it might change!

A little more modern side tank

and a tender

Done a couple of early IC locos too - these are somewhat bigger than most Gn15 diesels

Ruston Proctor

Bagnall petrol loco

There's a few more variations, but I won't bore you with them all

just don't complain there is no 3-d printed Gn15 steam locos !

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:18 am

Hi Tom,
LOVE the one you call " A little more modern side tank "
2 Questions, is it available and would it fit a Magic Train Chassis ?
Send me a PM if I can order this one,will do it POST HASTE .
Thanks and
Cheers
Chris :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, the web, photography, art, outdoor life like camping, biking, paddling canoe etc.

Postby henrix72se » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:48 am

Way to much temptation ..

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1560959/ ... terialId=6

Had to order this, don't really neeed it, but what the heck .. 8)

yes, available to order, just did!

/Henrik
I build Estate, Industrial and Military Light Railways in Fn18 (1/20) scale - http://Laurell.Today/

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:29 am

gnice but a bit too expensive for my little Gn15 layout. Think I will stay with 1/35 for the moment, but might adapt one loco as I know which chassis it fits.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:32 pm

The list looks quite impressive. http://www.shapeways.com/shops/tebee?section=Gn15&s=0

Dimensions are quoted, but no suggestions for suitable drives.

Would love to see pictures of finished locos or waggons, using those printed parts

Christian A. from N. seems to have started o built one, using a Fleischmann ANNA chassis. http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1190

Have Fun

Juergen

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:50 pm

Most will fit the Hornby "Smokey Joe"chassis - they are designed round a series of modular parts that are all the same size

Some of the smaller ones were designed to fit the Bachmann "Percey"chassis, but I've never got around to buying one of these myself to check the size.

Will start updating the listings later to say what should fit , but right now I have other problems, Shapeways seem to have introduced a new rule - that a model can't include a part that is too detailed to print - and this is causing most of my models to be rejected.

Tom

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:05 pm

Just to say I've still not got round to digging out my Magic Train Chassis yet, so can't tell if it will fit yet.

Shapeways have been keeping me busy fixing things last few days I'm afraid!

Tom

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:08 pm

Ah almost forgot - here is a picture of one of the 3-d Printed Gn15 wagons - it's been hand - painted with artist's acrylics.

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:40 pm

tebee wrote:Some more been added now

A Spooner quarry loco

Tom,

Can you please tell me the dimension of the hole under this body so I can try to work out which chassis will fit. I know the overall dimensions are shown on Shapeways but it is very difficult to take a measurement off the 3D spinning picture!

Thanks
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:31 am

Here is a drawing of it looking from underneath

Tom

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:00 pm

Thanks Tom!
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

tom yorke
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: ind. ng, small locos, miniatures

order from shape ways

Postby tom yorke » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:55 pm

Tebee,
Can you help me with my order of parts that you offer from Shape Ways? I cannot use their site to place an order. It just doesn't work. My Email is tomyorke@bellsouth.net. I would appreciate your help with my order.
Thanks,
Tom
Tom Yorke
Thomas A Yorke Design Studio
Atlanta, Georgia

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:09 am

Hi other Tom.

Sorry you have problems there. For people in Europe I can order for them and post on, but as you are in the US it would cost you 20% extra ( VAT, our sales tax)

I've been away and am just back and rather behind with things, but will drop you an email later. Sorry for the delay.

Tom

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:10 pm

Just wondering, isn't there someone in USA who could order model. Would it not then be produced in one of the USA based Shapeways workshops?
As others here have found out, import duties either way can be high, so adding to cost.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby chris69 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:49 am

Why would one pay vat on export items?
I never paid vat on anything from Europe . If a product is exported it is generally exempt from vat.
That is actually one main reason that makes buying there reasonable, considering the high shiping cost.
Best
Chris

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:07 am

Because I'm in Europe.

I can't order to have things shipped to 3rd parties only to me. I then reship them on to the person that ordered it, but I'm too small to have to register for Vat so I can't reclaim the tax I had to pay on the item when I bought it, if I subsequently export it.

Tom

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:48 am

Must admit that is something on Shapeways website that puzzled me, but then the rules for VAT and export are a bit crazy.
As a matter of interest has anyone in USA ordered Shapeways items directly? Just wondering which Spapeways outfit actually produces them.
One reason I went with Shapeways myself is that it is a hands off operation, and hopefully there are none of the problems some have experienced over the years with small manufacturing outfits. Apart from a couple of design issues, I have not had to get involved.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:46 am

Just a note to say that the prices of these locos have gone a bit crazy under the new Shapeways pricing structure.

Some have decreased significantly while others cost 50% more.

Hopefully over the next few weeks someone will work out exactly how the new system works and how we can optimise for it.

Tom

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

????????

Postby chris69 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:47 am

Something puzzles me about Shapeways. When you search for Gn15
they show you all the stuff YOU can NOT buy!
Is that just to tease the hell out of us to show the good stuff one can not have?
If it's NOT for sale don't show it!

Cheers
Chris :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :lol: 8)

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:05 am

When I do a search it shows me things that are for sale - what are you doing different ?

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=gn15&sort=

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:22 am

Right now shapeways website isn't letting me type anything in the search terms box. And I even told Firefox's Script Blocker to allow all on page.
Pulled up internet explorer - shapeways says it no longer supports the version in this box, pleas use one of the following browswers ... but ... search box works fine in the browser which shapeways does not support.
Go figure.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:41 am

Tom, I was a bit puzzled by new price structure. Claims that most items would be cheaper. My 1/35 stuff has gone up a bit, but track pieces have gone down. Some very small items(1/220) have gone down a bit.

As for showing items not for sale, that is to show people what might be coming soon, also the nice indexing system you get with the public page does not exist for development only, so locating items can be a nightmare. I therefore make most things visible so I can find them again. Its a lot easier now now that you can upload to replace models, so don't have to add info again.

Just checked website and no problems accessing it. I needed to check my latest order. I use latest version of Firefox. My IE is way out of date and won't always work but is a useful backup for some sites.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”