Latest 3D printed tram track

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Latest 3D printed tram track

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:21 pm

I have been busy tweaking my designs for 3D printed tram track panels including pointwork. Have not had chance to prove they will work properly but see no problem looking at first sample which gave me hope. Just slide rail in, fit some type of blades(?) wire up and ready to go.
Here is computer drawing of standard RH point with larger stones, better for larger scales. I am also working on version for smaller stones, close to size of Wills plastic sheet, and a plain version.
Other track panels for 2R curved track, and straight track as well as the Y point and corresponding 33in radius curve.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:41 am

How is the frog made?
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:50 am

I am doing 2 versions , one suitable for live and one for dead frog. On the dead frog there is an extra piece of plastic, might need some mod still. It is not meant to be an instant point, just a step towards a full point. Different modellers would probably fit rails to tiebar differently. Moving part could either be thinned down end of rail, or hinged to rail. Not easy to describe, I wil play with the drawing
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:43 am

Almost there now. Need to do some work on tramway panels, now I have samples, but the inserts are ready. Off to Preston Show now, hope to show them to some people, but next week I am at Narrow Gauge North and following weekend I am at Heywood.
What I have realised is that it is better to concentrate on getting first items (the inserts)right before developing other items. Making sure I can walk before I can run.
Want to limit number of versions, so ends are modified so no need to do alternative versions, and probably not do a dead frog version as its probably easier to modify the live version. Too many alternatives has meant that when I need to fix something its extra work and its starting to wear me down. Good thing is that once it is finalised that's it I can sit back and relax :roll:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:14 am

first batch of inserts now live and for sale via Shapeways. Just tinkering with edge/border pieces. The stone size is probably OK for Gn15.
The tram way panels just need a tweak, awaiting test results.
Trying to keep to a small range with fewer variants.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:44 pm

test samples now arrived. I am thinking that some of the Shapeways machines operate differently, as there were differences in batch which should have been identical.
I have some diamond crossing designed, as well as a smaller Y based on R2 radius which will reduce length required for a loop. Smaller radius versions(250mm) also designed, but decided this would be minimum radius.
Next planned are some mixed gauge versions, going up to 32mm and down to 12mm and 9mm gauges, all using code 100 rail.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:29 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:...some of the Shapeways machines operate differently, as there were differences in batch which should have been identical.
That sounds like it could be much more important than seems at first glance.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9, 15" gauge, industrial modelling

Postby Brack » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:48 pm

WSF definitely prints more accurately in x and y axis than z (tebee is the one who first brought that to my attention). Weirdly I find FD and FUD also differ - I ordered the same model (one of my non-NG designs) in FD and FUD, and the FD model is about 1mm shorter overall. From the same CAD?!

If I'm printing mechanical parts such as chassis, WSF doesn't get close to accurate enough for me, I use FD at least (or black detail).

Having said that I measured a recent FUD print all over with the verniers and the accuracy was impressive - all dimensions accurate to +/- 0.03mm (which is probably more accurate than I can measure with my cheap chinese digital verniers!)

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:59 pm

I have not found any problem with wagon chassis, possibly because I am not requiring engineering accuracy. The wheels fit OK, and work OK. Easy to modify if required. Only problem might be with the 14mm gauge ones where there is far less room to move, but again easy to modify. I offer option of better plastic for these .
I have had a problem with the large WDLR van, where one side comes out better than the other.
The track sections are odd, as I deliberately set up the designs to face same way, and each contained 3 different versions of each type of track(point, curve, straight etc), so I could compare different surface textures. I found that the points ere much tight to fit rail into , yet the rail profiles were identical. I will try some with only one point, so see if reducing flat plane size means a better machine is used.
Is there some way to force the design to be printed in way you want, not what the operator sets it to. I seem to be able to get default Shapeways picture right way round now for track, but suspect that does not match up with way it is printed in machine.
Odd thing ius it was the last item to print that seems to have had the problem. Need to check design before confirming, as file size is big, and CAD software sometimes goes crazy, and I have not noticed something moved or flipped till too late.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:33 pm

just a couple of photos to show test track of smaller stoned sections. Loco is model of metre gauge in 5.5mm/ft
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/tram-track-16-5-small-stones1.JPG
http://rue-d-etropal.com/tram-track-16-5-small-stones-2.JPG
I am not best point builder but it just about works. this one has inbuilt dead frog, but I intend to only release live frog version, possibly with a harder plastic insert .
Alternative versions with larger stones and a plain version. Might need to look at curvature as software seems to straighten them out into short cords.
The differences in printing, once painted is less obvious. Possibly a bit of extra weathering would help. Paint is just plain old emulsion paint pots, slightly watered down.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Point and track sections look good Simon :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:44 pm

Thanks Barry. I am sure someone could make a better job at the point, but then that's the point(no pun?) . I have a load of other designs distracting me, so hopefully will make these available ASAP.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue May 20, 2014 10:06 pm

just an update to say the first of the track panels has now available to buy. Its the smaller stone version, larger stone to come.
I had a few problems, partly, connected to variances caused by printing process, Apparently variances of +/- point25 mm are possible, and this meant difference between rail fitting or not. I think I have adjusted design on safe side, but still might need a bit of filing. Could have got more accuracy with better (more expensive) plastic, but for track it does not look as good, I think. Other problem related to curves coming out as series of straight lines. Software had setting which displayed OK, but these settings don't seem to go into 3D model, so I have changed curves lines to a series of short straight lines, which look and work a lot better. It also helps with the rail gripping etc.
All points are now designed as live frog, but by adding a bit of infill can be built as insulated frog. easier to add than subtract.
Now I have to send some samples , along with some of the WW1 models to Railway/Continental Modeller so they can do a review.
It was only when I looked through my catalogue that I realised just how many models and track section/infills I had created so far. Hopefully they on't need any alterations.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Fri May 23, 2014 12:19 pm

The inset track looks very good. Good luck with the CM review.

Simon.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri May 23, 2014 4:20 pm

Thanks Simon. I am hoping to send off samples next week. At this time of year not too sure how well noticed new products get noticed. But now that there are more exhibitions stretching into summer or starting earlier in August, then maybe it won't effect things.
Bachmann UK are having their annual launch soon, because of their 25th birthday party, so that will help attract attention.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Frank Savery
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Anything NG

Re: Latest 3D printed tram track

Postby Frank Savery » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi,
What's the availability of the original inserts for the Peco Setrack Points ?
Shapeways site says "Not For Sale".
Thanx,
Frank Savery
Frank Savery,
General Manager & Sweeper-Upperer,
Penguin Tramway,
King Island Tramway.
Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:13 pm

The small stone ones , with post Shapeways price change were available, but I have now fixed the prices etc, and the large and giant stone versions are now set to available. I still need to look at the Y points.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:35 pm

Latest 10cm radius tramway/dockyard track, 10cm radius. Dimensions for sleepers are based on what has been written here

The point has been built with no moving blades. Anything approaching from toe end will always go straight. It is possible to force onto curve by having a right hand curve before point, as wheels then follow outside rail of curve onto inside rail of point. I have tried it with a small wagon running down a slope, and it always works as expected. Not sure what effect a loco pushing would have.
I plan to use these in my 19-15 challenge layout.
A Lima/Hornby motor bogie will just go round, but might use something smaller.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:23 pm

Wow Simon! Is there anyway us mortals can buy those? I have been working on a turnout like Prof Klyzir with no points that move, but as usual, it sometimes is better to buy stuff than try to build it.
David (Doc)
Edit: I just checked Shapeways and found the curve but I also found a G9 and Gn15 dual track turnout. Is that the correct one like you demonstrate?
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:58 pm

this is the point
http://www.shapeways.com/model/2976114/p-165st-rh-point-100r-100-live-1a.html?li=shop-results&materialId=6

I have tried to use a naming standard for the track that relates to the gauge and the surface, 165st is large stone 16.5mm gauge, It also makes it easier for me to look through an ever expanding list. It is not possible to modify category titles in index, so try and get it right first time, and have aded extra such as Gn15 and G9.
I have not tried a loco through the point yet, but free-running the wagon works.
I was thinking about a non inset point, but positioning sleepers on such a small point needs some thought.
The WSF plastic is ideal for this track, the chairs on the sleepered track are tougher than I expected. Just had to make sure the rail was pre-bent. i don't use anything fancier than a pair of pliers and my hands.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:46 pm

Thanks Simon. I think I'm gunna get 2 of them to start and give them a try. Since I have no worries about electrical continuity (radio control does that) I just need the engines and cars to go through without derailing. Thanks. Do you need to use the points from the Peco or do you file the rail to fit?
David(Doc)
OK I magnified the image and it looks like the points are there already and you just insert the curved track. Nice!
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:07 pm

Any code 100 rail should be OK, but I think Atlas super flexi is slightly narrower so might not work as well, but it is rail height that matters. In theory Peco code 143 rail should fit if you want a heavier look. I use any old second hand OO/HO track I can get at exhibitions.

I will now have to do the left hand version, should not take long as it is just a case of adding mirror instructions at right step.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:17 pm

Great! I was looking for it and could not find one. Gnow I know why. I will look for it tomorrow or Monday. Perhaps 2 of each. Trying to find short radius switches is difficult here in the US. There are trolley guys that make some, but you then have to still embed the tracks. Too much work for me.
David(Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:59 am

should never say something is straight forward and easy. For some reason, my computer did not like the way I normally modify a right hand to left hand point, so had to do it differently. Got there in the end.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:58 am

I just ordered a right and left 10cm turnout. Hope all goes right.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”