Not Happy with Peco

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Mike Lee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways/Modelling

Not Happy with Peco

Postby Mike Lee » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:23 pm

I want to make a 'cat ladder' for my 7mm narrow gauge layout. On Peco's website they advertise LK-748 ladders, as etched brass. Great, solder some brass loops on the sides, add a couple of strips of brass rod top to bottom, half an hours work, and hey presto one 'cat ladder'. Ordered said LK-748 (not from peco) when it arrived it was plastic. As most people know it is a bit difficult to solder brass loops to plastic.

So far I have emailed Peco three times, as to why they are plastic and not etched brass as advertised, with no response. Not very good for a so called 'top' model railway company :?:
Mike Lee

You should always go to the last one first!
You should cross all your bridges before you come to them!
Life is too short for counting rivets!
What happened to things that you dropped before Newton discovered Gravity?

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:09 pm

Peco are a bit slow updating website. It used to be out-sourced, so they did not have direct control. Would suggest to send an email to one of the magazine editors, as they are the ones watching over what is going on in the hobby. RM certainly publish letters, so something along the lines of advising potential customers to check before buying . If you still get no reply , write to other magazines.
Websites are still not taken seriously enough by companies. Many are still used to printed catalogues which naturally take longer to update. I checked the Gaugemaster website and was surprised how little info there was on these ladders.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Mike Lee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Not happy with Peco

Postby Mike Lee » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:44 pm

Well Simon took your advice, e-mailed the editor of Continental Modeller over a week ago, still nothing :( They are obviously not interested in customer relations or anything else :?: Just a very poor show all round :evil:
Mike Lee

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:22 pm

Another way might to be to ring Peco customer services. Talking sometimes works.
I suggest step 2 is to email editors of competing magazines, commenting on the description.
I suspect magazine editors get a lot of email. I am lucky as some know me , but I sometimes don't get a reply. Its possible someone else handles emails, and summer can be a busy time with holidays etc. There used to be a proper summer break, but new season (?) of exhibitions starts this weekend(it used to be end of month).
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Postby MickT » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:25 am

I'm a little confused as to why the email was sent to the Editor of Continental Modeller rather than to Peco? CM magazine is produced by Peco and the Editor's office is in Seaton, granted, but I can't see that Andrew Burnham has anything at all to do with Peco products, which are a different part of Peco entirely and the factory/warehouse is in a different part of the site.

As we are currently "between issues" of CM, I would not be at all surprised to learn that the reason you have not received a reply to your email from Andrew Burnham is either (a) he is away from the office either on holiday or doing one of his regular working visits to the continent and/or (b) he may have forwarded your email to the correct department to provide you with a response.

I would suggest, as Simon has also done, that a contact by email, phone or letter to Peco customer services would be more appropriate and may hopefully provide you with satisfaction.

Mick

Mike Lee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Mike Lee » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:33 pm

If you read my initial e-mail I had sent 3 emails to Peco over as many weeks up to mid July, it has now become five up to last week, not including the one to the CM Editor. These were sent via Peco's email on their web site 'Contact Us'. Somebody has had the best part of 6 weeks to respond.

If you know their 'Customer Services e-mail' I would be pleased to have it, but I can't find it on their web site.

I sent the e-mail to the Editor of CM as #1 I thought that he was part of the same overall organisation and he would be able to pass it on to the correct department #2 The layout that the ladder is to be used on I was going to offer to CM for an article for publication.

I am afraid I don't know the intricacies of the Peco Orginisation who lives where who does what, it was a different email address I could send to.

Anyway I have given up and bought a 'cat ladder' from Plastruct.

I have no intention of phoning as the cost of a call is more than the item is worth. Just can't understand why nobody is responding even if it is to tell me to 'b####r off'.

c'est la vie
Mike Lee

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”