Meeting report: 3rd November

Messages for GnOrfolkers (meeting arrangements and the like). If you want a forum for your own local group, let me know.

Moderator: GnOrfolkers

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Model railways, photography, website design

Meeting report: 3rd November

Postby Emrys » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:19 pm

Five of us met at my house last night for a blether, to admire Gerry's locos in the flesh (as it were) and to discuss 'givens and druthers' for the group layout.

The discussion came up with the following ideas (in no particular order):

Continuous run; estate railway - brickworks, house deliveries, greenhouses, Prince Charles-type organic produce?; not a flat earth (even though this is Norfolk) - obvious change of grade and scenery below track level; plenty going on - deliveries and collections; cargoes to include: Egg boxes - chicken pies - gravy tanker - Mrs Tweedie ... yes, it's a cross between "Chicken Run" and "Chigley"; overall dimensions were revised slightly to 7' by 2'6"; minimum radius on the continuous run 12" if possible so that Dave can run his 2-6-2; the track plan to be relatively simple - plenty of space for scenery; Kadee No.5 couplers to be the "standard" although complete trains that don't need to drop off or pick up wagons can use whatever couplings the builder wants to; interchangeable crop modules (mushrooms/strawberries/pumpkins/etc.) and interchangeable building interior scenes (one of which could be the pie-making machine from Chicken Run) - the concept being that the layout needn't be exhibited twice in the same configuration. Magnetic signs to make for easy changes.

At the next meeting - on Thursday 2nd December at Dave and Pat's in Scarning - we will take the best of everybody's ideas and amalgamate them into an agreed design.

Incidentally, I came up with a suggested name for the layout this morning (but this is just a suggestion): "Ffoulke Hall".
Emrys Hopkins

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Floulke Hall

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:35 am

Hi Emrys and fellow GnOrfolkers,
Thanks for having me, will try to make the 2nd when I find out where Scarning is :o
Now the name Floulke Hall :shock: reminds me of a local Chinese Takeaway called Fook Hing until someone tumbled :wink: and complained to the Council- name was changed soon after. :lol:
Going with Steve's comment I think the interchangeability is a great idea - you mention interiors; why not the whole structure?
I have Tom Yorke's watertower bolted to my baseboard, can be removed in seconds. I know it's small but a similar approach could apply to larger buildings.
GerryB wondering if I Gnow pay taxes to Gnorfolk :roll:

Alastair
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Alastair » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:34 pm

Good evening Gnorfolkers.. .

As suggested at the meeting, being one of those not having put forward a plan yet I present my offering.

I've played around with the initial trackplan, taking Dave's as a starting point and skewing the structures. Minimum radius is 12". The small divisions are 2", the larger 6". Lunchtime flew by yesterday and today.. .

To the left is the boilerhouse, set into the wall, with the chimney off stage to the rear. To the centre is the "works". The "potting shed" to the back right, and in front of this the interchangeable module (I've added orchard to the range of options for this).

The potting shed conceals a sector plate, I've not yet put in a traverser for the boiler house. The wagon turntable has moved to the centre. No gradient yet - but I did get in a possible threeway-point for Emrys!

Alastair

Dave Westall
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: NG Railways, Pre-1968 BR (LMR)

Postby Dave Westall » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:13 pm

That certainly addresses some of the problems in my mind with my original trackplan. I think that as Gerry Balding is talking of modelling some Heywood bogie stock we ought to add in a Farm Shop so his passengers have some where to go to buy all that lovely produce.
And don't forget the smoking dung heap! :lol:
May your wheels never rust.

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Model railways, photography, website design

Those other designs I mentioned

Postby Emrys » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:44 am

My own rather over-complicated effort first:

with Dave's rather more sensible initial suggestion:
Emrys Hopkins

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Other Designs

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:28 pm

Hi all,
I prefer Dave's original design rather than the 2nd effort.
Question 1 : What is purpose of passing loop at front of layout in view of availability of hidden passing loop?
Question 2: Instead of passing loop why not incorporate a siding with Halt for the visitors to disembark to purchase the GnOrganic Produce on offer? Or is the loop a facility for just that with a Halt . (not shown)
Question 3: If the turntable is wagon only what method of propulsion is envisaged upto the Greenhouse?
Observation: noting the space required on other layouts for rolling stock (thinking specifically about Pinchingfield) I believe we'll need a bolt-on "Marshalling Yard" to the right of the Traverser.
Finally, in view of observation that the layout should be "two faced" with a 2nd identity why not consider a Brick field as the second option? Boiler house could be the same (maybe a more substantial chimney) the Warehouse could be the same though perhaps a different building and the Greenhouse/Potting shed the new Production Facility, albeit it's a bit remote from the Powerhouse and finally the Dung Heap could turn into a reject pile with a Tipping facility.
GerryB.

Dave Westall
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: NG Railways, Pre-1968 BR (LMR)

Postby Dave Westall » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:58 pm

The original idea for my design was to run it as an end to end but with the 'extra' curve put in to allow a continuous run. The continuous run mainly being there as a facility for :
a) Inexpereienced operators if left in the lurch! :o
b) 'Running in' new locos. :D
c) Keeping something running whilst answering punters questions - how many layouts 'die' when the operator is talking? :x
We could extend the length of the hidden runround loop and shoot a siding off it onto a 2-track turntable (or traverser, which ever fits better) inside the boiler house. If the rear runround is lengthened then a removable cassette could be put it right at the back, as Gerry Bullock says some extra stock storage space is required.To answer Gerry
Q.1 Both runrounds are required to 'right end' the loco after exchanging wagons on the boiler house and potting shed traversers - although the traversers would be better replaced with 2-track turntables. NOTE Locos do not enter the buildings.
Q.2 If a Farm Shop was added between the warehouse and the boiler house we would then have a purpose for passenger trains and we could have a ground-level platform on the front runround loop. So Yes, it's not shown. :lol:
Q.3 The ideal thing for the wagon turntable and on up to the greenhouse would be Steve Bennetts new battery Truck or even a Midge.
With Alastairs revamp the main thing I like is that all the buildings are not 'square-on' as I have mine and also with the wagon turntable it would be easier to exchange/propel wagons.
May your wheels never rust.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Track Plan Comment

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:26 pm

Hi Dave and apologies to Alastair for not identifying his layout .
I agree that non-square buildings will be a++++.
8)
Can now see reason for run rounds :oops: which I'd have realised if I'd been at the meeting.
Only issue I see with the turntable v traverser is the space required - my turntable is 8" in diameter (in visual part of layout) therefore will only take a short loco and wagon though I can overhang the end as there are no obstructions. :roll:
Alastair's wagon turntable looks as though it needs a track southbound to park the Midge. I'll answer that myself - no it doesn't there's already track to west for Midge though this means turntable must be large enough for Loco & wagon.
:?
If Farm Shop is located at rear of layout platform location then requires Punters to cross tracks at some point :? which is exactly what I do on my layout BUT my platform is used only by Staff coming to work at the Loco Refurbishment Plant.
I'll shut up now. Everyone :D
Cheers, GerryB

Alastair
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Alastair » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:37 pm

The 12" minimum radius makes the loop dominate the planning, I had to rework the greenhouse end a couple of times, and it could really use another couple of inches pinched from the loop.

The set-back building front-and centre would make a good produce shop, the loop at the front would serve as a passenger facility if we go the Bressingham-style route - in which case the potting shed could become an engine shed?

Alastair
... .. .Looking for a suitable 2-2-2 chassis.. . :)

Alastair
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Alastair » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:40 pm

GerryB,

Picking up on the wagon turntable, there was a suggestion at the meeting to build a self-propelling wagon for this.

Alastair

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Wagon Turntable

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:57 pm

Hi Alastair,
Somewhere on a Japanese website is the very wagon with a worker pushing, his feet being just clear of the sleepers.
:roll:
I may have the site bookmarked - I'll trawl through the many I have tomorrow.
GerryB.

Alastair
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Alastair » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:37 pm

GerryB,

I know the site, I remember that one of the other wagons contains a more pungent load.. . Can't seem to get onto it at the moment if its the one I think it is, I'm getting permission denied errors.

Alastair

Gerry Balding
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, football, films, the works of James Ellroy. I am also the part owner of a 15" gauge 2-6-4 tank loco

Layout Plans

Postby Gerry Balding » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:37 pm

My preference is for Alastair's design. I think there can be a temptation with ng layouts to make them too busy with too much track crammed in. The design provides a balance between operation and simplicity.

The enjoyment of the punters who will pay to see our work mustn't be forgotten. There is plenty in the design to keep trians running and them amused whilst showing what Gn15 can provide in a small space.

I'm not too fussed whether the layout has an engine shed or not. If it does this could be (depending on the period) a dilapildated Nissan hut type of structure.

As for passengers, I'm actually not in favour of the layout being a passenger carrying line. If we have a farm shop and carry passengers, the danger is that it will move from being a working farm / estate line to a pastiche of a pleasure line. As for Dave's comments about my proposed Heywood bogie stock, my initial project will be a goods / guards van. The likely model will be the Duffield Bank bogie van which was used to carry supplies. This would fit in with the proposed scenario. If we do have passenger carriages, I would suggest these are limited to the 4 wheel variety for carrying estate workers.
Gerry Balding
Norwich
Norfolk
UK

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Layout Plans

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:36 pm

Hi fellow GnOrfolkers,
As not much has been said for awhile I thought I'd throw this idea into the melting pot, albeit the current Track Plan would not seem to support it.
:cry:
Take a look at Ian Holmes' post of today "Shameless Plug" and amongst the photos on his website is a working crane loading facility - looks great.
What say you :?:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Return to “The GnOrfolkers [Gn15]”