GnOrfolkers

Messages for GnOrfolkers (meeting arrangements and the like). If you want a forum for your own local group, let me know.

Moderator: GnOrfolkers

Dave Westall
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: NG Railways, Pre-1968 BR (LMR)

GnOrfolkers

Postby Dave Westall » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:23 pm

Is anybody interested in getting this group going again :?:
It is 8 months now since our last meeting :( , or was the name of the proposed layout too near the point - "Ffoulke Hall" :wink:
May your wheels never rust.

Gerry Balding
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, football, films, the works of James Ellroy. I am also the part owner of a 15" gauge 2-6-4 tank loco

GnOrfolkers

Postby Gerry Balding » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:23 pm

Dave,

Nice to see you today at Southwold.

I was talking to the exhibition manager of the Gt. Yarmouth & District MRC and he invited me to bring a layout to a one day exhibition they are holding in Lowestoft on a Sunday in September 2006.

What about if we built and exhibited a GnOroflkers group layout?

Any takers?
Gerry Balding
Norwich
Norfolk
UK

Dave Westall
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dave Westall » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:55 pm

Hi Gerry,
That sounds like the right sort of challenge to get something going. :D
Lets go for it. Pats in as well so that's 3.

Anymore takers :?:

Alastair
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Alastair » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:22 pm

Gerry, Dave,

Count me in.. .

The old plan, or start again?

Alastair

Gerry Balding
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, football, films, the works of James Ellroy. I am also the part owner of a 15" gauge 2-6-4 tank loco

The GnOrfolkers

Postby Gerry Balding » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:24 pm

Hi guys,

I have an open mind on this one. I am in favour of something small, but not too ambitious. What seems to draw the crowds at exhibitions is trains running, rather than complex shunting movements. This may please the purists but not the general public. My preference is for a continuous run, but with some independent shunting etc.

Does the last plan we discussed meet with this criteria? Please forgive me, but it all seems a long while ago.

Regards

Gerry
Gerry Balding

Norwich

Norfolk

UK

Dave Westall
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dave Westall » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:36 pm

Hi Guys,

To refresh those grey cells have a look at 'Meeting Report: 3rd November'. The 3 options for track plans for a Market Garden/Estate Railway are in there. Alastair's and mine are virtually the same trackplan but I prefer the building placement on Alastair's (being an engineer mine are all boxy and straight :roll: ). Emrys' layout has some nice features but I think would take more time to build.

If we did go for one of these 3 it should cut down on the planning time before we start building and ideally we need it finished by just after this time next year :!:

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Duffield Bank

Postby Gerry Bullock » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:09 pm

Hi all,
In view of my March 8 event SWMBO won't be too happy with long solo trips into the north of E Anglia. Quite happy to provide help at arms length in building items.
I note that Gerry is asking for details regarding the Duffield Bank buildings - in view of Carl Arendt's "Tennis Ground Layout" see:
http://www.carendt.us/microplans/index.html which you probably knew anyway; I have emailed him to ask what details he has on these buildings.
None of the Heywood books I have gives any info save for the odd photo.
Do I take it that there might be a move to change the layout to a Duffield Bank theme?
Cheers GerryB.

Dave Westall
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dave Westall » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:34 pm

Hi Gerry,
Good to hear from you again and thanks for the very kind offer. Definitely mustn't upset your SWMBO :lol:

I think the 'Tennis Ground' layout would be ideal with it's high rockface backdrop and the south tunnel. One of Sir Arthur's demonstration days would justify a lot of running. Ian Holmes has some nice ideas with Whinny Lane; and the little engine shed layout on Carl's site, but I agree with t'other Gerry that that would be boring to the punters. Smithers book does have some plans for a couple of the buildings at Eaton Hall so they could be used but I suspect t'other Gerry could be thinking for his own layout. There again he could always build 2 sets of buildings. :wink:

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:57 am

Although I'm not technically a Gnorfolker cos I live a little bit far too south, I like the idea of Tennis Ground station and I think that it would make an interesting layout.

I have looked at the published photographs in the past and I think that there is enough information out there to build a pretty good replica based on the heights of people and the common dimensions of buildings. However even if it isn't 100% dimensionally accurate, it would be possible to get it proportionally more or less correct.

Chris

Gerry Balding
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

The GnOrfolkers

Postby Gerry Balding » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:58 pm

Hi guys,

The request for information about DBR buildings was for my own use on a future layout rather than the group's layout which originally intended to have an agricultural theme. But if the concensus is for Tennis Ground (or a layout inspired by it) then I am open to persuasion.

Dave, one thing. I have looked at the original plans we drew up last year, but I cannot work out the sizes.

Do you have the dimensions?

Thanks.

Gerry.
Gerry Balding

Norwich

Norfolk

UK

Dave Westall
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dave Westall » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:37 pm

Hi Guys,
Good to hear from you Chris and thanks for your input.

Gerry, the original plans we drew up last year scaled out at 7' x 2' 6" (see Emrys's first post in that topic).

Carl has a plan for 'Tennis Ground' that he says could be done in 4'6" x 1' 10". We could stretch it out to 6' long (like Whinny Lane) which would suit any bogie stock better. The scenic part could be on 3' x 1' 2" (2 off) with the fiddle yard on 3' x 10" (2 off) but permanently attached to the scenic boards and folding up against the rock face for transit.

So, which do we go for :?:
(Bugger, theres's 4 of us, that could an interesting vote.) :twisted:

Dave Westall
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dave Westall » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:37 pm

It's 2 weeks now since I asked the question which do we go for. Having seen no replies I am beginning to wonder if I am showing signs of sadistic necrophilia with bestial tendencies :!:

Alastair
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Alastair » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:15 pm

Good evening Dave,

I never got around to checking out the plan on Carl's site, now that I do it looks a good basis. It would be nice to include the loco shed though, perhaps as the right hand view block. This would be more a flavour of the prototype though.. . the loop rising up alongside the locoshed as in the view in the Smithers book with the loco shed front and right on the layout. The structure looks fairly straightforward. The loop would then swing back into the station area. Having appearde from behind the loco shed it could then dissapear into a relocated tunnel mouth. 10" minimum radius, why not 7'x2'? Gives room for open ground at the front.

Alastair

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:21 am

With the loco shed and the carriage shed at the right hand end, I'd be worried about a lack of balance in the layout how ever much it was stretched.

That carriage shed is a substantial edifice both on Carl's plan and in reality. I think that it would make an interesting and unusual building in its own right without the addition of the loco shed which in my view would unbalance the design.

This is not to say though that the loco shed complex is equally interesting and it would make a good centrepiece for a model in its own right.

Still, as I'm unlikely to be involved in the construction of this layout I only offer my opinion.

Chris

Dave Westall
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dave Westall » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:21 pm

I think you are right Chris, it would be 'very right end heavy'.

Perhaps, if as Alastair suggests, we stay at 7' by 2' we could have the carriage shed and south tunnel at the right hand end; south tunnel as the blocker.

At the left hand end we could use something based on the engine shed and carriage works complex; the engine shed as a 'blocker'.

This I feel would balance things up. The 2 smaller buildings against the one large one. Might need to widen the board a bit though to get the line between the 2 buildings and turned back.

Gerry Balding
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

GnOrfolkers

Postby Gerry Balding » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:38 pm

Hi Dave,

Just got back from a few days in France to read the latest on the layout. I agree with your views on the layout design. The balance sounds better, so I expect the next stage would be to sketch a plan out. I now won't be around until next weekend, but will get in touch then.

While I was in France, I spent a lot of time travelling on and photographing the Chemin de Fer De Baie de Somme. I came back with some layout ideas, but in a different scale and gauge.

Please don't let me get distracted from Gn15!

Regards
Gerry Balding

Norwich

Norfolk

UK

Dave Westall
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dave Westall » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:00 pm

Drawing up the trackplan would appear to be the next step. Emrys has a couple of readymade baseboards that were blagged at the Biggleswade show in February but I can't remember the size. I should be seeing him next week so I'll find out.

Alastair are you happy with the engine shed complex at the left hand end to balance things up :?:

Look forward to seeing some pictures from the Chemin de Fer De Baie de Somme.

Gerry you will only be distracted if you allow yourself to be. However, if you are, can I have your Gn15 stuff please :?: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

Alastair
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Alastair » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:01 am

Hi Dave, all,

Been absent on other things for a while, the plan sounds good, as soon as you can get the dimensions of the boards we can fit a skecth around them.

Alastair

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Model railways, photography, website design

Baseboard dimensions

Postby Emrys » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:39 am

There were actually 3 baseboards from Biggleswade - I'll dig out my tape measure and will post the dimensions later. I don't think we'd use more than two, though, would we?

I should mention that the baseboards were gratis and will definitely need a bit of work to clean them up (quite a lot in one case), but the basic framework seems sound.

Now, where did I put that tape measure ...
Emrys Hopkins

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

One new tape measure later

Postby Emrys » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:01 pm

All three boards are 813mm/32" deep (+/- 3mm).

Boards widths are 895mm (35 1/4"), 1073mm (42 1/4") and 1068mm (42 1/16").

The obvious choice (to me) would be to use boards 2 and 3 to give a 7' x 2' 8" layout.

The frames aren't exactly designed for stacking so transport's not going to be too easy unless some sort of box could be assembled into which they could be slid or bolted. That would end up as being rather heavy, of course.
Emrys Hopkins

Dave Westall
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dave Westall » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:56 pm

Thanks for that Emrys. :D

Perhaps we need to all get together to sort out the best way forwards with the baseboards and to finalise the trackplan :?:

I've only got one free weekend from now until after Swanley, perhaps a weekday evening instead?

If the rest of you would like to e-mail me with when you are available I'll try and sort a date out.

Dave Westall
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dave Westall » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:49 pm

OK, it's the Bure Valley 15th Anniversary Gala next month :D

How about us meeting up there on the Sunday (9th) for a natter and a 15" grice. :?:

Suggestions for time please :!:

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:33 am

Sorry, I'm visiting an exhibition in Germany (Klostermansfeld) this weekend but perhaps we can all meet at Swanley in a few week's time?

Chris

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Bure Valley Railway meet-up

Postby Emrys » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:09 pm

I'll be there, Dave, and when I believe Gerry Balding's planning to visit too on the Sunday (I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong).

The meeting should, of course, be held during a journey ...
Emrys Hopkins

Gerry Balding
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

The GnOrfolkers

Postby Gerry Balding » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:56 pm

All being well I'll be there on the Sunday on the FoBVR stand.

Drop by and say hi.
Gerry Balding

Norwich

Norfolk

UK

Return to “The GnOrfolkers [Gn15]”