Inaugaral meeting of the Gnotters

Gn15ers in GnOttinghamshire, UK

Moderator: GnOtters

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Inaugaral meeting of the Gnotters

Postby MOG » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:02 pm

Thanks to Petar (Versif) for hosting an enjoyable evening at his home (with hugely enviable games room!) :D
Really nice to meet you all and put faces to names.
Lots of conversation covering everything from local railways and 15" prototypes to our own confessionals on entries to the hobby.
Also some comparison with the wargames hobby (I hope Colin and David didn't feel too marginalised there!)
Petar showed us plans of his planned layout which looks very promising, Colin brought some really nice On9 stuff he's been building, very fine.. David's Lister looks great as do idea / plans for the layout.. and everyone was very kind about my figures and bodgejob locos :wink:
Loads more discussed and looked at.. I've come away with renewed Gn15 fervour and more ideas..and despite wanting desperately to finish off my next two figures tonight, I've lost my only cocktail stick !! :x and I'm lost without it!
No mention was made of a joint effort layout - were we too scared to bring that up ? :wink:
Look forward to seeing progress on everyone's projects in the near future.
Thanks again to Petar for your hospitality. :)
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

David Nix
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Computing, Caravanning

Postby David Nix » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:02 pm

Mog has summarised our inaugaral meeting Gnicely.

It was interesting to meet the people behind the postings and articles and to see their work.

The wargames discussion interested me because it opened the lid on a hobby of which I previously had no knowledge.

Disclaimer - the Lister may look great, but at present it is only a cardboard cutout. :roll:

I like Colin's suggestion of meeting up at the Sherwood Forest Miniature Railway.

Thanks Petar for your hospitality.
David

A Gnother Gnotts Gn15 Gnutter

Versif
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Versif » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:30 am

It was great to finally put faces to names. Even more impressive were the
combined skills that David, Colin and Martin had.

David quite clearly had meticulously researched his prototype, the Lister
and the cardboard cut-out was impressive in it's own right. He had also lit
upon a nice track plan with good operational potential.

Colin was obviously an aficionado of On9 and his breadth of knowledge
was amazing. Even more impressive was his modelling skills in this
scale!

As for Martin we finally got to see his creations in the flesh. I'm jealous!
On reflection I think Martin must be a secret admirer of Hammer horror
films, two of his drivers certainly looked as if they were fresh off the set :)

Equally impressive were his 'bodgejob creations, which were anything but
bodged jobs! :P

I think this is the first time I've had the opportunity to talk with others with
an interest in the hobby and it was both fascinating and illuminating to do
so.

We certainly avoided the topic of a Gnotters layout but we also missed on
the opportunity to 'play' trains with Martins creations on my track. Remiss!

The wargames discussion was definitely off-topic but we did do a
compare and contrast on exhibitions within the 2 hobbies. Wargames win by a slight head I think :twisted:

Suitably humbled by my Gnotter colleagues I think I'd better crack on with a layout to restore my self-esteem! :wink:

Cheers
Petar Kanuritch

GnOtts Gn15 Gnutter?

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:48 pm

Indeed, very nice to get to meet the three of you and talk 'trains'!

I am extremely jealous of Petar's 'Games Room' -a paradise for the model maker, especially to those used to being stuck in the corner of a room :wink:

I'm glad you all liked the On9 models I brought along, I am staying stuck to that scale for now, as progress on the latest project is going rather well and I wouldn't want to be distracted :roll:

It was great to see Mog's figures in the flesh - they really are something else!

Don't worry about the wargames conversation, as I said early on in the night, I have a friend at GW HQ from whom I've learnt a lot about the differences and similarities between the hobbies.

If a certain chap from Exeter way found his ears burning about 6.00pm on Saturday then I can only apologise as there was a great degree of praise heaped in his direction for quality of masters, castings and information passed on. You know who you are....

I will endeavour to organise a meet up at Sherwood Forest for sometime in the next few months, should be an interesting day out!
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Versif
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Versif » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:17 pm

Look forward to it Colin. Should be a great day out.

As for the games room, comes with son having flown nest and SWMBO giving me the elbow! Now I only have to put up with my brother. My sisters off-loaded him onto me as soon as they realised I had space and no excuse not to take him. Talk about kicking a man when he's down. LOL. Well, actually I had lots of excuses but they just wouldn't listen! Never did like my sisters, bless 'em :)

That said it's what you do with what you've got that matters and frankly what I saw of everyone's abilities suggests a lack of a room is in no way an inhibiting factor on creativity and skill. As I posted earlier I was humbled by the skill and creativity displyed when we met. I intend to bleed you all dry, in the nicest possible way of course :twisted:

Cheers
Petar Kanuritch

GnOtts Gn15 Gnutter?

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:27 am

I'm happy to help out if I'm able.. as long as you want 'Don't use a ruler'..'go with the feel of it' bodging type help!! :wink:
Seriously, It's not as if distance is an issue.. I think it took all of ten minutes to get home.
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:

Versif
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Versif » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:12 pm

Thanks for the offer :) Now in relation to the swapmeet on Sunday when does it kick off Martin? I assume it is at the Civic Centre? I've made arrangements for colleagues to buy some WW2 paras at Partizan for me so that i can attend said swapmeet instead.

No particular railway bits to buy but you never no what might turn up.
Petar Kanuritch

GnOtts Gn15 Gnutter?

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:41 pm

Usually 10AM start. Don't expect great things.. some events are far 'drier' than others.. lots of cheap bits to bash though. :)
Given the choice I'd probably go to Partizan meself.. well maybe not the 'fantasy' one :wink: .. as it is I'm working till lunchtime so I'll pop down to the civic centre and see if anything's left when I've done.
By the way..(Sorry Emrys :D ..without getting too off-topic).. what rules you using for WW2? Have you ever seen 'Rapid Fire' ?
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:

Versif
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Versif » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:46 pm

It is supposedly the fantasy one but usual suspects there :) Rules used are hybrid created by Nige White. Mix of 40k and other rules but toned down. mainly geared towards having fun and playing scenarios rather than winning.

I always expect the worst and then hopefully surprised. 10am is way too early for me at the wekend. Still snugly tucked up and dreaming of locos etc. But as you say, lots of kit bashing opportunities, may tempt me out :) I may see you there.

Thinking of going to Sheffield on Saturday to look at American HO. Tempted by some of the HO micro layouts and the prospect of kadee couplers. Prices a bit steep for some of the stock though :) Also no idea of what does and doesn't go together, other than that 40 ft stock would be ideal. An excuse for more reading!

Cheers
Petar Kanuritch

GnOtts Gn15 Gnutter?

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:20 am

If you do get some American HO stock but by any chance don't get your hands on any Kadees.. I've got a small number of No5s (half a dozen or so) and a couple of magnets so you can try things out.
I'm scouting for American N now after my impulse buy!
Anyway - I can't remember still being in bed at that time.. let's see, Fred is four years old.. so probably about four years ago! :cry:
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:

Versif
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Versif » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:07 pm

Thanks for the offer Martin, I may take you up on it. The real issue for me is getting a logical combination of American locos and freeight stock. I'm wanting the 40 ft versions for miniimum space but I've no real idea of what goes with what :) Not that that has ever stopped me before. Hopefully I'll get some decent advice off the vendor!

Cheers
Petar Kanuritch

GnOtts Gn15 Gnutter?

Return to “The GnOtters [Gn15]”