Progress?

Gn15ers in GnOttinghamshire, UK

Moderator: GnOtters

Versif
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Versif » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:48 am

Well I invested in some smoothit last Saturday and over the preceding week set to the task of embedding my trackwork within it.

NEVER AGAIN! :evil:

Well, probably the next layout, but until then, NEVER AGAIN!

First attempt was just slightly too runny and much fun was had persuading it to go where required and stay there. Went off in about 15 minutes as per the instructions but took over 24 hours to set properly. Spent next day cleaning the rails and getting them back into working order. Took forever. :(

On the second attempt got the consistency just right and made major progress coming up to all 3 points but stopping short at or just past the frogs and before the point switch. :)

Next day spent cleaning the rails and getting everything working. And the next day. Much graphite expended. Air became noticably warmer. At this point also worth noting that the stuff still hadn't dried out completely.

Third attempt was slightly too runny again but feeling confident pressed on regardless. Did for the Y point and parts of the double slip and 3 way point. Filled in a few holes. Went to bed. :?

Next day spent cleaning the rails etc. Aye caramba, those slips are a beggar! :evil:

On the fourth attempt got the consistency slightly too stiff but had at it anyway. Filled in the rest of the 3-way point and double slip. Went off slightly too quickly and remainder piled on spare bit of baseboard. :oops:

Finished off by cheating and using balsa to fill in some of the more niggly bits in the point work. Spent most of Saturday cleaning the rails and getting operational. Then spent the evening rubbing down the smoothit to get a better finish than my cackhanded ability provided. :roll:

Still not quite there. Need to make up a slightly runny mix to fill some depressions and sand down again but otherwise the board she is plastered! :lol:

One small step for mankind, one giant leap for Gnotterdom. Or something like that.

Anyway on a more productive note managed to glue together, without serious loss of flesh, more wagons. Now have 7 for use of the layout.

Also built the van. Glue refused to stick to anything but my fingers. Blue tack also stuck to my fingers and nothing else. It appears anything will stick to my fingers but not the model I'm trying to stick together! Well that's not totally true, large parts of the model did stick to my fingers, but not each other!

Eventually wrestled it together and left it to set over night. Next day promptly pulled it to pieces again. :cry: Truly horrendous.

One side and one end remain glued together but it has been relegated to the bits box whilst I regrow some skin for the next attempt. :wink:

Still, 3 more vehicles have arrived, so we can get on with those whilst muttering imprecations at the van :)

I'm also going to invest in some gel superglue in a vain attempt to minimise run and further loss of flesh.

On a totally unrelated note decided to abandon my OO gauge layout and give it over to american HO. The man from Kirkby he say yes to Kadee!

I've decided to build a small inglenook layout for my OO on a 48*12" piece of blue foam I just happen to have lying around :lol: The track plan has been worked out using an existing arrangement on the layout. I'll continue with peco magni-simplex couplers simply because most of the stock is now fitted with them and it works well enough. Fortunately the magnets also work with Kadees, which means the fortune I've spent on them isn't wasted!

Meanwhile plotting world domination, albeit on a 41*14 world basis I'm starting to think about the structures to go on my newly plastered baseboard. I have a sneaking suspicion, from initial mock-ups, that this is going to prove far worse than the smoothit saga. At least that just went on whereas this brick mallarkey has to be done neatly (anathema) and the courses need to tie together. And they say modelling is a relaxing hobby!

Cheers
Petar Kanuritch

GnOtts Gn15 Gnutter?

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:28 pm

On a totally unrelated note decided to abandon my OO gauge layout and give it over to american HO. The man from Kirkby he say yes to Kadee!

Sounds interesting! I think that would work quite well as a shortline without too many changes to the existing layout. Kadees are nice couplings for the right application, I have tried them in the past and as I still have them all will no doubt do so again in the future... along with all those other shemes....
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:53 pm

Phew!
Knackered just reading that! You definitely convey the frustrations but it sounds like you're still enjoying it anyway!

I'm sure it's looking great..I reckon you get peaks and troughs with these things don't you? I have moments when I'm building something when I just want to break it up and give up on a bad job (in fact I've done that on one or two 00 projects) ... but often I find that if you stick with it, you come out the other side .. until the next 'moment':twisted:

I must get photos of the latest two figures up.. starting working on loco number four..surprisingly it's completely unprototypical! :wink:
Got a few bits done on Tuther End lately too although I'm still toying with ditching it and starting a new one... maybe make a start on the garden line in the summer? :D

Good idea on the HO layout.
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:40 pm

I reckon you get peaks and troughs with these things don't you? I have moments when I'm building something when I just want to break it up and give up on a bad job

Indeed.... whole projects sometimes....

Anyway, one that I ain't giving up on:

Still some way to go with the paintbox....
Last edited by Colin Peake on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Peake

http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Versif
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Versif » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:50 pm

Looking good Colin.

As for the peaks and troughs that's modelling for me generally. It's nice when despite the adversity you finally deliver the end product. Of course having flesh on one's fingers is also a bonus :lol:

Not worked on it really since I wrote that epic but more will get done next week. A visit to a show is always inspiring and gets the modelling juices flowing.

Let's see those pictures Martin. And the engine while you're at it :)

David, how's it going with the Lister? Otherwise you all face another epic of ill-defined proportions from me :) And we wouldn''t want that now, would we?

Cheers
Petar Kanuritch

GnOtts Gn15 Gnutter?

David Nix
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Computing, Caravanning

Postby David Nix » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:52 pm

I have to admit Petar that I got a good chuckle out of your posting 'of ill-defined proportion' so another would be most acceptable.

I hope to make a real start on the Lister (or was that a start on the real Lister) next week when I'm on holiday and should be able to make time in between gardening and preparing my caravan for the season. As soon as there's anything to report I'll post it.

The Flower of the Forest is looking good Colin, I too am looking forward to seeing pictures.

I had a look at your web site Martin, thought Fred looked most professional
David

A Gnother Gnotts Gn15 Gnutter

Versif
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Versif » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:41 pm

My post's are meant to spread fear and loathing and the threat of another should send you hurrying off to the workshop to make progress and avoid the horror of yet another ramble!

Just can't seem to cut the mustard with it these days. :lol:

Good to hear that work should be commencing soon David, look forward to an update.

Cheers
Petar Kanuritch

GnOtts Gn15 Gnutter?

David Nix
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Computing, Caravanning

Postby David Nix » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:37 pm

It might have had the desired effect Petar, but it described exactly the sought of difficulty I always seem to encounter when dealing with 'sticky' substances ranging from mortar for bricklaying (in 1:1) through to super glue (in all scales). :oops:

Perhaps that's why I want to use brass for the Lister rather than plasticard.
David

A Gnother Gnotts Gn15 Gnutter

Return to “The GnOtters [Gn15]”