Well I invested in some smoothit last Saturday and over the preceding week set to the task of embedding my trackwork within it.
Well, probably the next layout, but until then, NEVER AGAIN!
First attempt was just slightly too runny and much fun was had persuading it to go where required and stay there. Went off in about 15 minutes as per the instructions but took over 24 hours to set properly. Spent next day cleaning the rails and getting them back into working order. Took forever.
On the second attempt got the consistency just right and made major progress coming up to all 3 points but stopping short at or just past the frogs and before the point switch.
Next day spent cleaning the rails and getting everything working. And the next day. Much graphite expended. Air became noticably warmer. At this point also worth noting that the stuff still hadn't dried out completely.
Third attempt was slightly too runny again but feeling confident pressed on regardless. Did for the Y point and parts of the double slip and 3 way point. Filled in a few holes. Went to bed.
Next day spent cleaning the rails etc. Aye caramba, those slips are a beggar!
On the fourth attempt got the consistency slightly too stiff but had at it anyway. Filled in the rest of the 3-way point and double slip. Went off slightly too quickly and remainder piled on spare bit of baseboard.
Finished off by cheating and using balsa to fill in some of the more niggly bits in the point work. Spent most of Saturday cleaning the rails and getting operational. Then spent the evening rubbing down the smoothit to get a better finish than my cackhanded ability provided.
Still not quite there. Need to make up a slightly runny mix to fill some depressions and sand down again but otherwise the board she is plastered!
One small step for mankind, one giant leap for Gnotterdom. Or something like that.
Anyway on a more productive note managed to glue together, without serious loss of flesh, more wagons. Now have 7 for use of the layout.
Also built the van. Glue refused to stick to anything but my fingers. Blue tack also stuck to my fingers and nothing else. It appears anything will stick to my fingers but not the model I'm trying to stick together! Well that's not totally true, large parts of the model did stick to my fingers, but not each other!
Eventually wrestled it together and left it to set over night. Next day promptly pulled it to pieces again.
One side and one end remain glued together but it has been relegated to the bits box whilst I regrow some skin for the next attempt.
Still, 3 more vehicles have arrived, so we can get on with those whilst muttering imprecations at the van
I'm also going to invest in some gel superglue in a vain attempt to minimise run and further loss of flesh.
On a totally unrelated note decided to abandon my OO gauge layout and give it over to american HO. The man from Kirkby he say yes to Kadee!
I've decided to build a small inglenook layout for my OO on a 48*12" piece of blue foam I just happen to have lying around
The track plan has been worked out using an existing arrangement on the layout. I'll continue with peco magni-simplex couplers simply because most of the stock is now fitted with them and it works well enough. Fortunately the magnets also work with Kadees, which means the fortune I've spent on them isn't wasted!
Meanwhile plotting world domination, albeit on a 41*14 world basis I'm starting to think about the structures to go on my newly plastered baseboard. I have a sneaking suspicion, from initial mock-ups, that this is going to prove far worse than the smoothit saga. At least that just went on whereas this brick mallarkey has to be done neatly (anathema) and the courses need to tie together. And they say modelling is a relaxing hobby!