Modular Layout - Ideas Poll on "Modelling Matters"

New UK Group for members north of Cheshire

Moderator: GnOrtherners

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Modular Layout - Ideas Poll on "Modelling Matters"

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:42 am

Elsewhere in GnATTERbox there is a topic on building a joint layout. Would any GnOrtherners be interested in a trial run as an area group project?

AndyA wrote:What might work for me would be a group of people all tackling aspects of one industry - salt, coal, timber and so on; or each taking one location on a mixed-traffic line[1] but all set in England, Maine, Yucatan or elsewhere. Constraning the type of layout might make it easier to establish standards.

We would need to decide on a few standards and, as Andy says, a theme. If we do build a set of modules we could take them to a show somewhere cold and rainy that we could all get to easily - does anybody know a friendly exhibition manager that we could put the idea to? I know the crews at Rainhill and Glossop but they are not really central to our area, perhaps somewhere in Yorkshire would be more convenient?

Racing Hippo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Re: Modular Layout - Ideas Poll on "Modelling Matters&q

Postby Racing Hippo » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:58 am

bobblackcloud wrote:We would need to decide on a few standards and, as Andy says, a theme.

Absolutely. I also think it'd make a lot of sense to stay with whatever is decided for the group as a whole so that whatever we create locally can be used in the Big Layout.

bobblackcloud wrote:does anybody know a friendly exhibition manager that we could put the idea to?

I'm afraid I'm a complete gnovice in both Gn15 and railway modelling in general, so I don't gnow gnobody :(

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Re: Modular Layout - Ideas Poll on "Modelling Matters&a

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:06 am

Racing Hippo wrote:Absolutely. I also think it'd make a lot of sense to stay with whatever is decided for the group as a whole so that whatever we create locally can be used in the Big Layout.

Of course! What I a suggesting is just a trial run as an area group thing, hopefully to create GnATTERbox-wide interest. :wink:

It'll probably be a while before we get organised enough to commit to plywood so we can watch the on-going message traffic for emerging standards, chucking in our own twopennyworth along the way. :lol:

Racing Hippo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Racing Hippo » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:17 am

Ahh, indeed.
It's a cunning plan and it might just work.... ;)
I'm right in the middle of a long reply to the "main" thread. Watch this... um, that space!

Return to “The GnOrtherners [Gn15]”