Mog's Grand Day Out

New UK Group for members north of Cheshire

Moderator: GnOrtherners

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Mog's Grand Day Out

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:54 pm

In the "Gnotters" section Mog has suggested a grand day out to Kirklees and says maybe the Gnortherners or even the whole GnATTERbox would be welcome to join in.

As a Gnortherner I can't answer on the Gnotters bit but I'll pitch in as an interested party. I have a couple of exhibition bookings in September and October but most weekends are free. Could be a good family day out, I'll bring baby and Mrs Blackcloud too.

Any other Gnortherners interested should watch the Gnotters bit for further details. Mog and the Gnotters - watch this space for any other interested Gnortherners (I think Racing Hippo is racing around foreign parts at the moment, he said something on the wagon exchange programme about starting work when he returns).

Racing Hippo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Racing Hippo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:42 pm

I'd reply to MOG's post, but I'm not allowed :oops:

I think it's a great idea.
What we can do will probably depend on
a) the number of folks who attend,
b) when it is,
c) how much we're willing to pay and
d) how big a favour I can pull :)

Item d) has been given a significant boost since this news 8)

We do standard days for group bookings, although I'm not sure what they entail or how many people constitute a group (although, again de to the above, I suspect it could be a purely academic issue... :)).
At the very least, I'd guarantee a good look round all the locos and probably a question & answer session on each/all of them[1].

I imagine this'll be a weekend thing (or school hols), so the railway will be open to the public at the time. This has the disadvantage of not having the place to ourselves, but the advantage that it'll cost less / we may warrant getting another loco in steam.

As for dates, here's the weekends to avoid:
July 29/30 (Day out with Thomas)
August 19/20 (Teddy Bears' Picnic)
September 16/17 (Gala)

The Gala could actually be a do-able date, and you'd be guaranteed to see all the locos in steam, but there's the disadvantage that you won't be able to see them for all the people counting their rivets.

Finally, I'd say don't leave it too late in the year; the trip up the line and back is vastly better from an open carriage[2] than a closed one, but we only tend to run them in the summer as there's a jolly cold wind in them Dales!

So let's get some possible dates mooted, and some potential numbers, and I'll approach the powers that be to see what can be arranged....

[1] Someone had better bring a video camera so that we can record the answers to the questions of those who couldn't make it!
[2] Even better from the footplate, but given that firing requires the driver/fireman to pull interesting contortions with even two on board, that's not really a go-er!

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:09 am

Racing Hippo wrote:
As for dates, here's the weekends to avoid:
July 29/30 (Day out with Thomas)
August 19/20 (Teddy Bears' Picnic)
September 16/17 (Gala)

The Gala could actually be a do-able date, and you'd be guaranteed to see all the locos in steam, but there's the disadvantage that you won't be able to see them for all the people counting their rivets.

I think I'd rather avoid the busy dates so that we can see more without
a) getting in somebody's way :roll:
b) somebody getting in our way :wink:

Also, as a purely personal thing, I'm at Glossop on the gala weekend with Cotton Lane (OO scale :oops: sorry) and Hayfinch (Gn15 on show folks 8) ).

His lordship is having a weekend away, and taking the entire estate with him, the joys of being wealthy I suppose, taking the entourage is one thing but this puts a whole new light on "taking the train" . . .
Anyway he wants the CM&EE to be there too so I've got to go! :)

Return to “The GnOrtherners [Gn15]”