EuroMOMING 2013 challenge

Caption competitions, competitions run by The Management (ahem) or just a challenge you'd like to set your fellow 'boxers, this is where to put them!

If anyone finds a challengney type thread elsewhere can you PM me the number and I'll carefully copy it over into this forum.

If anyone's wondering why I've done this ... wait and see! :-)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

EuroMOMING 2013 challenge

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:12 am

Wondered if I should start a gNew thread for this challenge. Who is tempted, and would it be possible to have full clarity on rules. I seem to remember something similar in UK, but can't find it now.
I assume the limits on footprint only relate to gauge of track, and as long as representing minimum gauge then any scale acceptable, eg G9.
It has been suggested that the A4/A3/A2 sections can not be cut up, but can they be fitted together in different ways, not a long rectangle either using short or long sides.
The A2 size mentions 32mm track, someone else here has already suggested 45mm gauge, which I would be happy to use on same footprint as 32mm gauge.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:24 pm

http://blog.e-train.fr/2012/08/amateurs ... cipez.html

I've edited the translation (by Bing) to give a more readable(ish) version for us non-Francophones. (I'm sure Simon will correct any mistakes I've made when trying to figure out the literal version from the translator.)

Euro-MOMING 2013A new challenge to fans of very narrow gauge LR news, Voie Libre , MOMING and the Sedan RAMMA launch you a new challenge:

Euro-MOMING 2013.The challenge is the simplest: build a functional minimum gauge layout in a small area.

1: The layout should be functional and include at least 1 set of points.

2: The gauge must reproduce a real railroad track less than 60 cm. It is the realm of the path of 15 to 18 inches for those who calculate in English measurements, Route 40 cm or 50 cm for those who calculate in metric. The maximum surface of the layout is a function of the chosen gauge:3 sheets in A4 format (21 x 29, 7) for less than 16.5 mm gauge (for example: 6.5 mm, 9 mm, 10.5 mm, 12 mm, 14 mm etc).3 sheets A3 (29, 7 x 42) format to a gauge less than 32 mm (for example 16.5 mm, 18.2 mm, etc)
3: Leaves in format A2 (42 x 59, 4) for less than 44 mm (for example etc 32 mm) gauge4 sheets in A2 format for greater than or equal to 44 mm gauge.The scenes are more, but their surface must be reasonable!
4: The theme and the time are for the builder to choose.

Registrations are to be made to the RAMMA before January 31, 2013. The form will soon be online.In the RAMMA 2013 in October who will challenge will present their creation. The best layouts will be published in Voie Libre and the LR news group titles.Join us on the Voie Libre forum

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Bob, the English translation on the Voie Libre web page, is virtually the same, one reason why I asked a few questions. In other district of the model railway world, languages don't translate that well.
I found the A4 challenge from Wealden group, and that specified each A4 should be in line. I also found something in an index to MTI magazine so I might search through mags, as I remember seeing some interesting ideas.
I think the APA boxes(as long as you include a point) meet the regulations, so an interesting twist might be several of us each with one module entering( Bob I think you might have trouble getting home each day though :lol: ).

Just re-read above translation and I think there is more info than I remember. In the magazine there is no mention of the other gauges. I also think that a 45mm gauge line should be accepted, as there are some of us now modelling even bigger scales.What is relavant about 44mm gauge, or is that just to exclude 45mm gauge):roll:

I am torn, between either entering one of my APA modules(I would rather not build another in Gn15), or going for G9 or 9mm in 1/35, or possibly 16.5 in 1.12th scale, all stretching the meaning of 'real'. :roll:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:15 pm

This Brit. Magazine had a challenge for small layouts in the early nineties
http://www.narrowgaugeandindustrial.com/index.htm

If you browse through Car Arendt´s pages, you´ll find plenty of suggestions for tiny layouts.

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:49 pm

Bob, where did you get the text you translated, noticed there is an allowance for 45mm gauge. Still might be tempted to use one of my APA modules as time is getting tight and I have too many layout ideas.

Edit, just found text on magazine blog, assume that is the right one
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:04 pm

The original text is from the link in my previous post. As for getting home each night, that wouldn't be a problem because I wouldn't get there in the first place, way too far south for me... And my last passport expired well over 25 years ago anyway.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:57 pm

Obviously don't want to risk any of those French Christmas carols, Bob :lol:

The more I think about the challenge, the more I like the idea of using 'Vin d'Étropal' one of my APA modules. It has more than one point, and in theory can be operated as a small shunting layout. Well within 3 pieces of A4 paper, including small off scene section(where the wine is made 8) ), and a fiddle stick at other end, easy, not much of a challenge really, so might plan something else just for fun, but not necessarily to use.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

matthieu
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15 and O14

Postby matthieu » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:52 am

rue_d_etropal wrote:Edit, just found text on magazine blog, assume that is the right one

Yes, it's the right one !
I am one of the organizers of RAMMA from Sedan.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:25 pm

Just got one of the APA modules out to try out shunting, in fact it is the Coop d'Étropal module. I had the right one just the wrong name.
After Bacup, when one of my GE70 based locos was mis-behaving I was a bit concerned, but it was just muck because of over use. At the APA outings it had managed a very slow crawl along the line, so once cleaned it should be back to normal.
Assume the entry forms will be online soon.

Not too sure how I ill get there yet. Depends on a lot of things next year, and might take module down to my house earlier, then fly down, hire a car and drive up for the exhibition.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:15 am

G'day Bob
Thanks for the translation ( I was real good at FAILING French at school ---- never could get my head around it :cry: Much preferred the sciences.)
However there seems to be something "not quite right".
2: The gauge must reproduce a real railroad track less than 60 cm. It is the realm of the path of 15 to 18 inches for those who calculate in English measurements, Route 40 cm or 50 cm for those who calculate in metric. The maximum surface of the layout is a function of the chosen gauge:3 sheets in A4 format (21 x 29, 7) for less than 16.5 mm gauge (for example: 6.5 mm, 9 mm, 10.5 mm, 12 mm, 14 mm etc).3 sheets A3 (29, 7 x 42) format to a gauge less than 32 mm (for example 16.5 mm, 18.2 mm, etc)
3: Leaves in format A2 (42 x 59, 4) for less than 44 mm (for example etc 32 mm) gauge4 sheets in A2 format for greater than or equal to 44 mm gauge.The scenes are more, but their surface must be reasonable!

This reads to me as :-
If the track gauge is under 16.5mm the layout should be 3 x A4 sheets = 1871.1 sq. cm. (or under)
if the track gauge is under 32mm the layout should be 3 x A3 sheets = 3742.2 sq. cm. (or under)
If the track gauge is under 44mm the layout should equal 1 x A2 sheet = 2498.8 sq cm. (or under)
And if the gauge is 45 mm the layout should also equal 1 x A2 :shock: :shock:

This would mean that the two largest track gauges, which seem to allow the same area, actually are allowed LESS area than the "16.5mm to <32mm gauge layouts" :?: :?:

The last bit of the translation SEEMS to imply that external fiddle yards, providing they are not too big, are allowed.
If this means that external fiddle yards are allowed in all scale/gauge combinations is not very clear.

I suggest an email to the organisers before starting on ANY layout, especially the larger scales, requesting clarifications of these rules BEFORE any timber is cut, would be a good idea and avoid the possibility of tears at a later date.

Luckerly I am totally in the wrong part of the world to even think of entering that particular compitition but I might have a go at the one below _____

(Slightly off topic:)
The Australian 2013 NG convention has a mantelpiece challenge for attendees only____

 Maximum depth of 10 inches (25 cm)
 Maximum length of 36 inches (90 cm)
 Backdrop – permitted.
 No restriction on height.
 Can be operating.
 Any scale/gauge.
 Must be narrow gauge.

Now THAT's what I call a set of rules :!:

Have a good day
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:04 pm

I am sure Matthieu will explain as he is one of the organisers . I still think my APA box fits with stick fiddleyard one end and extension at other. I also want to exhibit an APA box there, for its own sake, given what some of us have achieved over past year, and the relevance of the date for the first exhibition at Rainhill.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

matjdelo
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow gauge and minimun gauge, O.14 and Gn15

Postby matjdelo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:29 pm

It seems that there is a problem with the translation !
Rules are here :

3 sheet A4 for track gauge under 16.5mm (6,9,12,14...)
3 sheet A3 for track gauge under 32mm (16.5, 18.2...)
3 sheet A2 for track gauge under 44mm (32...)
4 sheet A2 for track gauge greater or equal 44mm

not 1 sheet A2 for 32 and 44mm :shock:

Fiddle yard are allowed, They do not matter in the calculation of the surface, you can have 3 sheet A4 + fiddle yard.

Rules was made with Christopher Payne MOMING coordinator.

forms are here :
http://www.ramma.org/v1/modules.php?nam ... ge&pid=257

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:41 pm

Thanks for that info. Just need to do some testing on module, and work out a description . Still not sure how one end will look yet, as there is room to extend.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:22 am

another month gone by, has anyone else started something.
Got till end of January to register.
I have just checked start dates for the universities my son is applying for , and none clash so as far as I am concerned nothing stopping me. Hope to test module at an exhibition in January, so will know if any problems in time.

October is a good month for an exhibition, out of the summer rush(and expense), but weather is still good enough to travel long distance.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Catweasel
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways,Folk and Blues etc.

Challenges

Postby Catweasel » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:36 pm

欲 速 则 不 达

I like that, haste makes waste!
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:37 pm

managed to test the modified APA module at exhibition yesterday. Couple of small things to change, nothing drastic. Took some video to show how it now looks. It nicely fits in the 3 pieces ofA3 of paper footprint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAGOMNKmgGc&feature=youtu.be

I filled in the application form, and submitted. Hopefully system works and it gets sent properly, otherwise I will send it by normal email.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:13 pm

I sent an application in through the suggested link on website. Normally with this type of system I would have expected some type of auto reply to say it had arrived. Has anyone else here submitted an application?
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

matjdelo
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow gauge and minimun gauge, O.14 and Gn15

Postby matjdelo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:43 am

Hello, It's ok, we've got it.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:54 pm

just received latest confirmation , so I shall be at Sedan on the weekend of 12/13 October.
Just wondering how many here will be there, either exhibiting or visiting.

just had a look at the website, with a plan of the hall. don't recognise any names except 'Payne' . couple of other English sounding names.

On further investigation, recognised several names, so should be a good weekend
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:58 pm

just wondering what the arrival arrangements are . When is everyone turning up on Saturday morning I have found location for exhibition, but uncertain where overnight accommodation is as Sedan is fairly small.
Thinking of travelling over on Friday night /Saturday morning and coming back Sunday night/Monday morning. Not ideal, but less traffic and no queue for Eurotunnel
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Return to “Challengnes”