Rowland Emett Convention, October 2013, Leeds, UK.

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

MichaelPG
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 15", 18" & 40cm gauge railways and models

Rowland Emett Convention, October 2013, Leeds, UK.

Postby MichaelPG » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:55 am

I hope I am posting this in the right place.

The Rowland Emett Society will be holding its first convention in Leeds this year, probably the weekend of 19th/20th October, and we want to have a display of railway models inspired by Emett.

We have chosen Leeds because the two largest collections of Emett's surviving machines - what he called his 'Things' - are in Toronto, Canada and Leeds, UK. The Canadian collection has been on public display a number of times in recent years but the UK collection has only had limited exposure in the last twenty years. We are arranging a 'private viewing' of these machines (there are eight of them) for delegates attending the convention. This will be a rare opportunity to see the machines in action close-up. I have seen these machines in their current location and they are breathtaking. We are also aiming to arrange some interesting speakers. We have already got John Jensen, who presented one of the talks on Emett at the Cartoon Museum in 2009 lined up to take part, others will be announced as we get closer to the date. There will be a display of some of Emett's original artworks and 'Emettiana'.

Because Emett's work has been the inspiration to other artists and craftsmen we would like to feature some of these works at the convention, and we are therefore inviting cartoonists, automaton makers, steampunk artists, etc. to get in touch. What's relevant to the Gnatterbox is that we are also going to try and assemble a comprehensive collection of railway models inspired by Rowland Emett's ideas.

If you have anything which you could display - a complete layout or just a single model - please PM me or telephone 01594 834991. If you don't want to attend the convention yourself I will try to arrange collection and return of models.

Finally a reminder that membership of the Rowland Emett Society is free - register at http://www.rowlandemett.com/ if you are interested. The website has had over 20,000 hits in the 10 months since it was launched and 380 people have joined, so there is more interest in Emett than we expected when we began.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Because Emett's work has been the inspiration to other artists and craftsmen we would like to feature some of these works at the convention, and we are therefore inviting cartoonists, automaton makers, steampunk artists, etc. to get in touch. What's relevant to the Gnatterbox is that we are also going to try and assemble a comprehensive collection of railway models inspired by Rowland Emett's ideas.

Well, this sounds promising. A reason for me to cross a stormy channel
to attend the convention.

I suppose, a few Emett inspired model railways can be found in Rob Bennett circles. In here Marc Goodwin plays around with Smallbrook Studio material quite often.

Peter Barnfield is a cartoonist and painter inspired a bit by RE. Always wanted to meet him and his wife.

Paul Spooner and his "theatrical automata" could fit
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21714090

Never heard RE mentioned in Steampunk Circles. But why not?
Suppose RE would hang around there quite often today.

Let´s have Fun

Juergen

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Wed May 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Sounds good - dates in my diary - just hope i'm not working!

I joined the Society a few months back - very good website - well worth a look if not already done so :D

and hurrah to the Perrygrove for being so friendly and 15"'s !!

Roger
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook..

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed May 01, 2013 5:24 pm

so frustrating. reasonably local, but October can be a busy month, especially as 2014 is start of WW1 commemorations. Will have to keep an eye on the dates.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Return to “Blether”