Bash Fodder for GN15 Mechanisms

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:22 am

Dallas_M wrote:PS -- There are FOUR different highrailers in the series ... the 4x4 is the smallest one. I'll post more photos as I get into the others.

Ahh! Only the green Jeep seems to be stocked down under. Just checked the Bachmann website. Am I correct that they have a variety of different wheelbases :D
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:58 am

DCRfan wrote:Ahh! Only the green Jeep seems to be stocked down under. Just checked the Bachmann website. Am I correct that they have a variety of different wheelbases :D

Hi Paul --

Yes, arranged from shortest to longest -- overall length shown:

#46207 4x4 (Jeep-look), 2-1/8"
#46201 pickup truck, 3"
#46204 van, 3-3/8"
#46211 bus, 4-1/2"

If you search for Bachmann along with these numbers, you'll find pictures.
Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas Mallerich
Boulder Valley Models
www.bouldervalleymodels.com

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:18 am

After singularly failing to get any kind of glue to stick to the plastic that the cable car mechanism is made from, I used Blue Tak as well.

The main problem with most HO mechanisms (and particularly these ones) is the wheel size. Most of them look like castors on the GN15 stock. Personally I would want to hide them as much as possible behind outside frames.

Chris

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:02 am

:D :D My electric mice are actually scale roller skates :lol: :lol:
Paul

Gnu Zealand

greengiant
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 7mm, O-16.5, GN15 and 2 foot

Postby greengiant » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:14 am

As suggested, I have copied my posts regarding the Bachmann undergound Ernie as a suitable power unit.

This is a picture of the light, a nice bright useful little unit.

A little extra weight will probably help, but for less than £6.99 it is great value for bashing.

This is one I butchered.

Just hack them off, there is enough strength in the baseplate side pieces left to hold in place the pick-up/wheel holder pieces.
It took longer to type this message than it did to cut them off with a piercing saw.
Hopefully these pictures will explain.

Tried one out tonight, would not run :(
Fiddled with the wheels and got it to run, but only single axle drive, strange becasue each axle has a gear wheel, so i took it apart and found this:

Note the middle cog at a strange angle, no wonder it ran on one axle only!
Easy fix, took about a minute to put right and runs fine now.

Here you can see the pick-ups and where they collect power from the end of the axles, so should be easy to keep clean.

This is the power unit detached from everything.

These are the component parts.

This is the circuit board, the rectangular bit of board 3/4 of the way up is the plug into the 8 pin DCC socket, this just pops out to make way for your decoder plug. I will try a decoder at the weekend.

Martin

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: modelling in card

Postby Geeky Gecko » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:23 pm

Thanks for the information about Ernie, Martin. Got the last one I could find in TKMax in Leeds (Crown Point) today, so I also bought a train for £10 as it appears to be powered by the same mechanism. Does anybody else know if this is correct? I will dismantle it tomorrow if I can find the time. There was an abundance of these in store. Ernie certainly runs very smoothly and not too quickly when tested on a section of track on 9 volts. Does anybody know anything about the track in the Ernie range?
Stefan

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:15 pm

Great "how to do " posting. Must get my hands on one...or two ...or

Must finish the Diesel...

Must get organized

Ralph

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:15 pm

I think the track is the standard E-Z Track (TM) that Bachmann produces, but I stand to be corrected on that if wrong.
My 5 UE's arrived in the post today :D :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Simon Moore
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow and Minimum Gauge Railways, Rock music, Militaria… all sorts

Postby Simon Moore » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:16 am

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=21427

Seems it is E-Z track but with silver/grey sleepers.

Rowley
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: paradise mining co type modelling

kitbashing

Postby Rowley » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:19 pm

Thanks for the info'on these engines and their dismantling. I got one of the Bachman 6 wheelers in a dcc set some time ago and was wondering what to do with it as it looked a bit toyish against the other rtr engines on my 00 layout. After the Christmas and New Year is out of the way I'll have to see what I can come up with.
Rowley
Rowland Sutton

Rowley
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: paradise mining co type modelling

Postby Rowley » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:34 pm

Regarding the Bachmam locos' that can be used for kitbashing. As well as the 0-6-0 called Stuart which :More-cats -than sense: posted. This having a wheel dia' 18mm over tread and a wheel base of 22.5-22.5, at the time of my buying the set which contained this loco' there was an 0-4-0 called Greg which had 15mm dia wheels and a wheelbase of 31mm. It also has a proper cylinder/crosshead etc' design instead of the con rods going straight into the cylinders as some of the "Toy trains." I bought 1 of these from Hattons about a year ago bu there doesn't apppear to be any now,so I don't know if they are still available I don't know. the only found out was the light weight fo them made them erratic on less than perfect trackwork. No doubt modelling a larger loco' with added weight would help solve this
Rowley
Rowland Sutton

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:31 pm

You'll find that the "Greg" has the same body and wheelbase as the Bachmann "Percy" Rowley, although the chassis is a slightly different construction. Haven't seen them on the market for a while, no doubt they'll make a return at some point.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

jacko
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: model railways ng

thanks for the info

Postby jacko » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:33 pm

hi all again i like this as new to this scale i am having trouble getting any info on what can be used reading this has given me a few idea's
jacko

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:03 pm

I'd like to add to this thread if I may, today I started on a steam engine project based on the Smokey Joe/Caledonian saddle tank chassis highlighted previously, for what I'm going to be using it for it needed some rather drastic modification. I don't have pictures of every step as I was making it up as I went along and didn't think to take photographs.

The first step was the removal of the plastic body from the metal footplate, then the original buffers and large amounts of metal at either end of the loco were removed/ At this stage the plastic chassis received suitable modification to reduce it's length appropriately.

Once I'd got the chassis to this stage I for some reason I still don't understand decided to turn the 0-4-0 chassis into a 2-4-0. To do this I 'borrowed' a pair of axle boxes from a wagon chassis kindly given to me (along with many others) by Ralph sometime last year (or was it the year before I can't remember), attached them to a suitably size piece of 1mm plasticard and installed a spare Hornby wagon wheel set. To make a pivot I glued 3 pieces of long and narrow 1mm plasitcard together to produce a nice strong bar on which the front wheels may pivot, this was glued to the plasticard holding the axle boxes in place and a small hole was drilled in the other end. A matching hole was drilled into the metal footplate and a few more chassis modifications were performed to allow easy access to the pivot. I used some solid core electrical wire simply glued in to the metal for the pivot point and to ensure that the whole assembly doesn't fall apart the wire is folded at an appropriate height.

On to the pics......

First up (for comparison purposes) is the picture of the smokey joe chassis originally posted on the first page by Oztrainz:

Next are the photos of my modified version:

Obviously I need to work on it a bit more to improve it's looks but as a functional chassis everything seems to be ok.
*Insert witty signature here*

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:21 am

I still find the Smokey Joe loco a bit narrow for larger scales, and metal chassis is more difficult to adapt, but as long as motor runs OK (And again the Chinese models appear to run better than the Margate ones) then they are a good low cost mechanism.
The Bill/Ben loco I find better for largeer scales, actually being too wide for OO railways, and a nice body can be built up on a cut down body(with care). They do seem to be more difficult to get hold off at the moment(maybe they have a;; disappeared into narrow gauge storage boxes) so I tended to buy them when I saw them. Now I have 2 surplus to requirement on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180411533063&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT and I might eventually sell the other ones I have as I prefer to build non steam in larger scales.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

hartleymartin
'boxer
'boxer

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:10 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:I still find the Smokey Joe loco a bit narrow for larger scales, and metal chassis is more difficult to adapt, but as long as motor runs OK (And again the Chinese models appear to run better than the Margate ones) then they are a good low cost mechanism.
The Bill/Ben loco I find better for largeer scales, actually being too wide for OO railways, and a nice body can be built up on a cut down body(with care). They do seem to be more difficult to get hold off at the moment(maybe they have a;; disappeared into narrow gauge storage boxes) so I tended to buy them when I saw them. Now I have 2 surplus to requirement on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180411533063&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT and I might eventually sell the other ones I have as I prefer to build non steam in larger scales.

Funny thing... With a modified cab, new footplate, new buffer beams and buffers and re-gauging the chassis, the Hornby Bill and Ben models are near-enough to spot on for 7mm scale! I was half-way through one such conversion before things stalled (all my modelling was stalled last year as I focussed on getting into University).

My Assessment schedule leaves the 2-week Easter holidays free for me to get some modelling done!
Martin "Mad Marty" Hartley
From Down Under

John New
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: railways large and small.

Postby John New » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:54 pm

Latest Smokey Joe chassis - a query regarding retaining the gears in mesh?

I ran 2 or 3 of the loco's with that chassis design when modelling in 00 scale but they were the pre-China version. I could never get that stupid spring arrangement locking over the chassis lugs and pressing onto the motor armature to hold the motor properly in place for more than one or two running sessions.

Given the suggested use of a Smokey Joe (rather than a Bill / Ben) chassis under the new Smallbrook engines can anyone advise if the problem of the worm and drive axle gear regularly going out of mesh has been truly fixed in the Chinese Smokey Joe derived chassis versions?
John
http://www.stephensonloco.org.uk | http://www.yorkshow.org.uk | http://www.island-publishing.co.uk

Remembering it’s a hobby and I am allowed to smile!

Rob R
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15, NG in general, Austin Sevens

Postby Rob R » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:53 am

I've just been browsing the Hornby website and Ben is currently out of stock. :cry:

Looking at the service sheets online it appears that Toby uses the Ben chassis with axle slots/holes to suit both the 060 Toby and the 040 Ben.

Has anyone seen one? :?:

Rob
Rob Rayner
In the middle of the REAL Cheshire

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi all,
I just noticed that over the past day or so photos of some "undressed chassies" are starting to surface again. Could those who posted the photos please also add them to this thread? It seemed a good idea when I set this thread up some time ago to have a central place for all to see "what goes under"
Thanks in advance,
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:31 pm

Oztrainz wrote:Hi all,
I just noticed that over the past day or so photos of some "undressed chassies" are starting to surface again. Could those who posted the photos please also add them to this thread? It seemed a good idea when I set this thread up some time ago to have a central place for all to see "what goes under"
Thanks in advance,

Presume you are talking about the Bachmann Hi-Railers I posted John.
Though they had been described earlier in the thread, only the Jeep had been shown so here we go:

These are Bachmann #46201 and #46204 Pick-up and Step Van respectively.
Both have the same chassis with a longer wheelbase than the Jeep featured earlier at 46mm as opposed to 32mm, which is achieved by fitting an additional idler gear to push the axles further apart.

The undressed chassis has had the outrigger wheels removed here, they just unclip from the axles. They are still attached under the pick-up if you look closely
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:08 am

Thanks Steve,
I was also after some of Jacky's latest photos for here as well.

I will get the the camera out over the weekend for what's under the Lima & Bachmann versions of the HO/OO versions of the UK Class O8 shunters. I also have a Bachmann Class 04 to undress as well....

Anyone having photos of any other "wot's unders" please feel free to add them here.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Bash Fodder

Postby Bilco » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:22 pm

Just to update Dallas's post on page 2 of this thread about the little Bachmann Hi-railer motor unit:

The unit measures 48mm long, 20mm max width (not counting the wheels) and the top is 13mm above rail level.

It has split frames, but the bottom plate is plastic, so my little brass fixing doodad doesn't short everything out. There isn't much clearance under the gears on the underside so I made sure the brass and its fixing screw don't stick down too far.

It seems to run well, but will benefit from added weight.
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Bash Fodder

Postby Bilco » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:41 pm

At the risk of duplicating someone else's post - Jacky Molinaro started a thread showing mechs and dimentions on the Passion Metrique forum - http://www.passion-metrique.net/forums/ ... f=3&t=6135

Might be useful.
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

More Bash Fodder

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:58 am

Paul Martin of EDM has some Hornby Junior Locos on offer at £42.
Paul's words:
We have had the steam loco’s in stock on and off for a while now but the outside frame diesel. We stock them because they have excellent chassis for us narrow gauge modellers.
I think that there's a 'not' missing after but!
Steamers (2) are 0-6-0s as is the new diesel.

List price is £49.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:33 am

I think Paul must have bought up the whole container as I can't find the diesel on sale elsewhere :roll:
Seem to remember it was actually priced cheaper elsewhere.
I have a couple of the steam locos, but have not used them for narrow gauge,(yet). I might see if they are suitable for one of my designs as the Bachmann one I want is not as easy to find as it should be, namely the USRA 060 with full valve-gear. If I have to have a simplified version I may as use the Jouef/Hornby version.

It would be useful if Bachmann and Hornby produced a side on drawing of their models so you could see if they were suitable. I know that is not their prime objective, but Bachmann did design their Underground Ernie models with this idea(unofficially, as one of those involved was a DCC narrow gauge modeller, sadly no longer around to confirm story)
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Return to “Modelling Matters”