"Accidentally" modelling in Gn15!

With apologies to Flanders and Swann (The Gnu Song, if you must know), this forum is for all those "Hi", "Howdy" and "This is who I am" messages. If you're introducing yourself, please start a new topic (unless your somebody else's alter-ego, in which case seek professional help)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Destrier
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: narrow gauge model railways, 3d modelling, 009, On30, Gn15, Whimsical railways, Rabbit Warren railways

"Accidentally" modelling in Gn15!

Postby Destrier » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:09 am

Ohayo!
I've been lurking for a little while, but thought I'd poke my head out. My name is Matthew and I've been a narrow-gauge fan ever since first riding the Ffestiniog at the age of five. I was encouraged to come out here after learning that i don't seem to be the only person in the world who never finishes a layout! (yeah, I know a layout is never really finished but I hope you know what I mean!)

I started playing with 009 about twenty years ago, then got interested in On30 about five years ago, and whilst at a model railway exhibition in Stafford, came across this amazing little railway in a small wooden crate, where a beautiful little diesel chugged back and forth hauling little produce wagons. Mistakenly, I initially thought this was an exaggerated On30 layout ( :oops: don't shoot me!) but loved the detail, and purchased a Pepper7 Gnat and some wagons, quite possibly from Mr Bennett himself (really hope you're feeling better!). It wasn't until I was looking at a page on micro-layouts that I realised I was dealing with an entirely different scale, and I was immediately hooked!

I live in Chesterton, near Stoke-on-Trent, and to my lasting amazement, about six years ago the Apedale Valley Light Railway magically sprang into existence less than a mile away from my home - the Moseley Railway Trust began work on a 24" gauge railway to house their large collection of industrial ng vehicles. What are the odds?!? :shock:

I'm a train driver in real life, plying the lines between Manchester and Cardiff for Arriva Trains Wales, and my one claim to fame was having an article published in Railway Modeller in the early nineties entitled "Parcel String Waterfalls".

I'm currently working sporadically on a 12"x18" micro layout called "Brayflox's Longstop", which may possibly be a familiar name if any of you (or your children) play Final Fantasy XIV. I love whimsy and hope (if a room becomes spare one day) to build a true "rabbit-warren" railway.

Looking forward to learning from you all!
Matthew Webber
Staffordshire

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Re: "Accidentally" modelling in Gn15!

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:22 am

Welcome Matthew, that single post will have hooked you. :wink:
Please start a thread for Brayflox's Longstop in Modelling Matters.
You'll find many ideas in the VE section as well as tips from fellow Gnatterers.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Destrier
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: narrow gauge model railways, 3d modelling, 009, On30, Gn15, Whimsical railways, Rabbit Warren railways

Postby Destrier » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:42 am

Thank you. I shall gather my confidence and try and post a bit about Brayflox. With all the great layouts and diaramas here though, it's a bit like holding up my crayon scribblings at a gathering of professional artists and saying, "Look at me!" :shock:
Matthew Webber
Staffordshire

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:43 pm

Destrier wrote:Thank you. I shall gather my confidence and try and post a bit about Brayflox. With all the great layouts and diaramas here though, it's a bit like holding up my crayon scribblings at a gathering of professional artists and saying, "Look at me!" :shock:

Welcome aboard!
I think you will find everyone here very helpful and encouraging.

As to the "crayon scribblings" have you seen the work of Jackson Pollock? The main thing is to enjoy yourself, we all have our own preferences and it is your fictitious world so you can do what you like!
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:01 pm

Welcome Matthew 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:52 pm

Hi Matthew,

I'm just over the border from you in Shropshire, near Market Drayton.

I too find it great that the Moseley Trust has a whole bunch of great locos so close by. I'm a non working member of the trust but I try to do my bit by advertising the galas and such in here and similar spots.

I've been fortunate to have found the Gnatterbox just after it sprang into being. I think it's just about the friendliest such spot on the internet. So, relax, enjoy and have fun. We don't bite (much! :roll: :twisted: ).

Cheers,

Destrier
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Destrier » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:29 pm

Thanks. I have considered volunteering myself, but I'm carer to my wife and stepson - not a lot of free time, so I shall contribute by dropping coins in the bucket whenever they hold galas (the Tracks to Trenches event in September was incredible!)
Matthew Webber
Staffordshire

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:15 pm

Welcome Matthew!

The only thing that matters is that YOU are having fun. If you share your fun with us, that is a GOOD thing. Don't worry about crayon scribblings... that's my domain. :D
Ken

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:12 am

Hey there, welcome aboard! Funny about the scale realization thing. I'd say don't be embarrassed by it, but nobody ever listens to me anyway :wink: And your work is your work, wherever you are on the spectrum of skill and experience.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:58 am

Matthew,

Got to agree with you about Tracks to the Trenches - amazing. My wife, who teaches history, took more photos than I did! :shock:

cheers,

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:59 am

Matthew,
welcome, agree with what Chris said. Only negative about the Tracks to the Trenches event was not realising it would be so good so did not insist on someone coming with me to help with my layout. Could have easily spent more time watching the events in the field. It was also interesting to find out where visitors had travelled from, and how well placed Apedale is . Pity they are moving some events to early summer as that clashes with my activities in France, and model railway exhibitions tend to be more successful in cooler months.
But at least the internet is not affected by the seasons, so we can have fun here all year round where ever you are. In fact it was this that made the forum so good and lively, as there was normally something new to read when I logged on in the morning. It did go a biot quiet, but hopefully we can build it back up again.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Destrier
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Destrier » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:14 pm

Thanks, everyone, and Simon, I think I might have chatted with you about 3d printers at Tracks to the Trenches maybe? I spent a very happy couple of hours drooling over the layouts there ^_^
Matthew Webber
Staffordshire

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:25 pm

Hello & welcome Matthew. You'll love it here!

Les
"Because I Can"

Return to “You really ought to gnow your who's wahoo”