SCAMP - Light 7.25" Gauge Loco

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Voyager
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Location: Staffordshire (but the other end of the County from Gnosall!), UK

SCAMP - Light 7.25" Gauge Loco

Postby Voyager » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:12 pm

Dear All,

I hope that it is not too presumptuous of me to start this thread, as I certainly do not in any way wish to detract from Stockers' Pell Wall thread where the SCAMP class of locomotive has already been mentioned, but I thought there may be some interest.

SCAMP is the creation of Colin Edmondson, he of Stumpy Trundler and "Shed of the Year" fame, and is available in both kit and ready-to-run forms. The intention is that the kit can be built for around £1,000 and is designed to be transportable in the boot of a family hatchback.

I see SCAMP as a bit of a half way point between Gn15 modelling and full size Heywood 15" railways, which is probably why I was attracted to building one.

I'll aim to post updates here from time to time as mine takes shape.
Regards to all,

Voyager

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Re: SCAMP - Light 7.25" Gauge Loco

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:38 am

'Presumptuous'? Never! :D

One can't do too much to spread the word about the fun that is Scamp. I'll add one point that I don't think has been mentioned elsewhere; because a Scamp is small it's a pretty easy lift for just two people to get in and out of a modest sized hatchback or the like. Additionally it can be broken down into key components in a very few minutes to make it easy for just one bod to pick up the various parts, put them in a car, go off to play, rebuild on site and have fun and then reverse the procedure.

There are 13 in existence so far.

I reckon it could be quite challenge to model in G9 as the loco is pretty small in relation to the driver. Might this make it at risk of being overly top heavy?

Cheers,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:28 pm

Scamp is doing very nicely with some 20+ examples out there. It even has its own Facebook group, see here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4498954 ... browse_new

Cheers,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:34 pm

If you're not a Facebook user here's an example of what Scamps look like, note the three distinct engine cover types that give a different flavour to the finished article.

http://www.sevenandaquarter.org/gallery ... &g_id=1988

A small loco that puts a smile on the face of anyone who gives it a try; a mere 845mm long in short form and only a smidge larger at 925mm in the optional 'large' version.

Cheers,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:43 pm

And, if you'll permit it, here's a photo of the Stockers piloting his own personal Scamp (powered by a 97cc Loncin engine) into a siding with a radius of a mere 5' radius under the wheels. No binding, no probs with a smooth progress.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (503.01 KiB) Viewed 1283 times

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:43 pm

At some point, I'm planning to do a G-9 3-d print of a Scamp - have got a copy of the drawings off Colin.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:38 pm

Put me down for at least 1.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Return to “Prototype Prattles”