A break from counting rivits

With apologies to Flanders and Swann (The Gnu Song, if you must know), this forum is for all those "Hi", "Howdy" and "This is who I am" messages. If you're introducing yourself, please start a new topic (unless your somebody else's alter-ego, in which case seek professional help)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

NFBrown
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Colorado On3, HOn3 and Gn15. Maybe even minimum gauge in 1/12th scale.

A break from counting rivits

Postby NFBrown » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:04 am

I've modeled Colorado narrow gauge for more than 30 years. About three years ago I built a Gn15 loco from a Bachmann Percy and had a great time. I even made it's driver from Sculpey. Then started an HOn3 layout; Colorado again. About two weeks ago I couldn't stand worrying about getting everything just right any more; as though it matters if my Ophir store has the correct foundation. :|

Anyway, I'm back to Gn15. The people on the Gnatterbox seem rather nicer than on some other trainforums I read. I need to build some tippers and maybe a Lister. Like someone before me said "I blame Carl".

Nick

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Re: A break from counting rivits

Postby docnjoj » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:54 pm

Welcome to this group. I can barely see rivets, so I don't count them much, except the big ones. This is creative stuff with enough kits from Steve and Tom Yorke and others to make not every build a scratch build. Sinple HO mechanisms work fine for power, and some of us real Gnuts do G9, with 9mm track in G scale.
As Jeurgen says "Have fun"
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:10 pm

Welcome Nick
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:19 pm

Welcome Nick,

We love rivets here. We are happy for you to add as many or as few as you like in any place you wish.

In other words, we're pretty chilled about detail, methods of build, general look, etc. etc.

I think you might like it in here...

Cheers,

NFBrown
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Colorado On3, HOn3 and Gn15. Maybe even minimum gauge in 1/12th scale.

Postby NFBrown » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:29 am

Thanks for the welcome. Do the links on the "loco shed" and "virtual exhibition" work for anyone else? I just get "this page can't be displayed'.

Nick

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:34 am

Hi Nick,

I've just tried a couple of new and a couple of old links in the Loco Shed and they worked fine for me.

Do you have some specific examples that don't work for you or is it all of them please?

cheers,

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:51 pm

Welcome at this place. We urgently need some fresh blood to show thir modelling skills.

Details in Gn15 Scale (1 : 24) are huge, compared to HO (1 : 87). So be prepared to count rivets and some nuts & bolts.
This Lister, built by Carlo from a Scotty kit has quite a few.

Even the tiny wooden wagon has 56 OZARK nut & bolt castings

So keep the pictures coming and

Have Fun

Juergen

NFBrown
'boxer
'boxer

Postby NFBrown » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:24 pm

Chris, I just tried the first link in the loco shed, Trevor's Lobster Bay.... No joy None of the links I've tried work. It must be a problem on my end if they work for others.

Nick

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:20 pm

I just tried it and it seems to work for me. Took a bit of time to come up.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:47 am

Hi Nick,

Hmmm, curious.

I just tried it from my iPad and zap, the link worked very snappily (I was on my my computer, a Mac, when I tried previously).

Here's a link I've just grabbed for the same thread to see if it makes any difference providing it outside the Loco Shed.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8944

Cheers,

NFBrown
'boxer
'boxer

Postby NFBrown » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:55 am

Chris, the link you provided still came back "can not display page". Now for the strange part: When I compared the links I found that the ones that work for me have 'forum' before 'gn15' rather than the other way round. So I changed the Trevor's Lobster... link that way and it worked!!! Curiouser and curiouser Now I just have to think how I can avoid typing the whole thing in.

Nick

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:07 pm

one thing that slowed me down with large scale versions of my 3D printed models was adding the extra rivets :wink:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:06 pm

Nick,

About a year ago the Gnatterbox transferred ownership/control and that brought some issues for some people as (I think) the underlying software wasn't exactly the same.

At least it looks like you have found a way to get to see the goodies that have been bubbling happily along since 2003. It's been an interesting journey with great people and marvellous modelling. Enjoy!

Cheers,

pyro
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow Gauge and large scale modelling

Postby pyro » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:14 pm

I have the same problem Nick, some days I can see the whole site and some days I can't . I'm on IPad and windows happens with both platforms. I get server can't be found, frustrating to say the least :shock:

Phil
Phil

" I was born with nothing and I still have some of it left "

Seasick Steve

NFBrown
'boxer
'boxer

Postby NFBrown » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:14 pm

I still haven't found an address that works for the Tome but other than that the site is working for me. For my next adventure I'm going to try to post photos of the Gn15 Quarry Hunselet I built several years ago ( when I was a lurker here) and the gondola I just finished. I'm short of time for the next week or so but right after that.

Nick

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:16 am

??? Re the Tome.

I simply Googled 'Gn15 Tome', got this link (I'm sure I have it bookmarked somewhere, but Googling seemed quicker!) and it seemed fine:

http://tome.gn15.info

Cheers,

Return to “You really ought to gnow your who's wahoo”