Spotted at Statfold Barn

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Spotted at Statfold Barn

Postby Steve Holland » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:51 pm

Today's Statfold Barn Railway open day was, as usual, an excellent day out. Something like 15 two foot gauge locos in steam and the railbus - but what has this to do with minimum gauge railways I hear you ask. This was lurking in the Grain Store:

Jack is Hunslet works number 684 of 1898 and normally lives at Armley Mills Industrial Museum in Leeds, so what it is doing just outside Tamworth I do not know. As the dome cover and steam turret have been taken off I am guessing that the Statfold Barn engineering team are undertaking a preliminary assessment of the boiler for a possible return to steam.
It is an 18 inch gauge loco so just about qualifies for minimum gauge. Having looked between the frames there does not seem to be anything to prevent the wheels being 3 inches closer together so its seriously tempting to build a 1:24 version. Just need some time........
Steve Holland

Keep banging the rocks together

Voyager
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Location: Staffordshire (but the other end of the County from Gnosall!), UK

Re: Spotted at Statfold Barn

Postby Voyager » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:27 pm

Steve,

Yes, as you surmise, at Statfold for assessment for possible work.

BTW, for those who've never been, the third and final Enthusiasts' Day event of 2016 will be on Saturday 10th September. To request an invitation see www.statfoldbarnrailway.co.uk
Regards to all,

Voyager

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:37 am

The build of Jack in 7/8ths scale has been serialised in Garden Rail magazine. The build of one is described here:

http://www.gardenrailwayclub.com/7-8ths ... jack-build

Enjoy!

Cheers,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:52 am

Oh, and if you could be thinking 'But I don't have room for 7/8ths scale' think again. Here's a Jack doing a bit of shunting on a modest kitchen table. There are three key extras

- R/C

- a 'Chuffer' to accentuate the sound

- a 'Slomo' inertia device to give that extra smooth slow running

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UgAMgvj3a14

Cheers,

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:19 am

is it just me, or are the images not displaying properly.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:07 am

They're fine for me but I did have a problem the other day with a Modelling Matters posting, probably because I was in Greece and the isp may not have recognised:

http://my.gn15.info

Cheers,

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Postby Steve Holland » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:13 pm

Chris,

I wish you had not posted those links - its got the 'rubber gauger' in me all excited :D :D
There is some more footage of the Hunslet in action outdoors at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCCGNm9-A6w
I'm coming over all Sand Hutton - must go and lie down until the large scale urges wear off, not sure next weekend's firing turns on the FR will cure it :lol:
Steve Holland

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:48 pm

odd thing is, the problem has come back, for these images. noticed on another post so checked this one again.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Steve Holland » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:18 pm

I was at the Statfold Barn open day yesterday and found that Jack was still there. This time it was outside, and some track has been laid so it looks like the loco will eventually be restored to operational condition. Maybe in the next year or so?

Jack was on the 18 inch gauge spur from the dual gauge track shared with the restored Burton and Ashby tram.

In case you are wondering about the lack of overhead wires the tram has been converted to battery operation.
The Statfold Barn open days just get better and better; there were 20 locos in steam yesterday, plus old cars and lorries - :D :D :D
Steve Holland

Voyager
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Location: Staffordshire (but the other end of the County from Gnosall!), UK

Postby Voyager » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks for your report Steve. Probably the best March event so far, and a beautiful day.

JACK and the B&A tram share something in common - JACK worked at the clay works of John Knowles (Wooden Box) Ltd in Woodville, Derbyshire, through which the B&A passed on its route from Burton in Staffordshire to Ashby in Leicestershire - so it is good to see them together.

If you or any other Gnatterboxers are ever at Statfold in the future please say "hello" - I'm the Guards' Inspector so can usually be found out on a train or assisting on the platform.
Regards to all,

Voyager

Return to “Prototype Prattles”