Longstone 2

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

Re: Longstone 2

Postby Grum » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:53 am

Tom, has let me know of a possible problem with the photos at gn15.info/photo. The address he advised me to use on 15th July was an "https" address, but he think this may have a time limit or something linked to it. I may have to re-post images from an "http" address.
I have done the ones on this page, but whether I want to spend hours re-posting them all is another matter.
Graham

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

Postby Grum » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Hello again, work continues at Longstone, although I haven't built any rolling stock, I have been quite busy arranging the Mill Board buildings. Meanwhile, I was wary that, during running sessions or exhibitions, my stock may decide to topple off the boards at certain points on the layout. I didn't want a tall perspex screen all around the layout, so I obtained several shorter lengths of acrylic perspex and polished the edges to get rid of the opaque line on the tops. My wife added bushes, shrubs and grasses to the inside of the perspex, above baseboard level, glued on with pva glue. To my surprise it sticks!? - and it can cleanly be peeled off and re-done if necessary.

From eye level, the horizontal edge of the perspex is virtually invisible, and from a standing position people can look over the screens without reflections. The scenic materials stuck on the inside gives the scenery and extra layer too. (Please excuse the walls and fences in the background)

Pictures below are of two of the new Mill buildings. Lots of details to add just yet, and in the yard etc, but they were made my "usual" way using foam board and Slaters 7mm Dressed Stone, with thin mdf for the roofs and added card slates. Windows are from York Modelmaking (their 0-105 Arch top windows) also using the extra template and the Stone Headers, the doors are scratch built with plasticard. The upper floor windows have been shortened by one pane height.

The stores/office building also has York windows (0-104). The hole in the end of the board will be obscured by a small third building.
These buildings have certainly taken-up a lot of time recently, and gone are the days when I can paint a small 5" size 4mm scale building in half-an-hour held on my finger tips, now it takes days and I feel as though I am holding a 9-month old baby in my lap!

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:43 pm

It's all looking very nice Graham. The buildings have turned out really well - I like the algae growing on the damp stonework! I'm looking forward to seeing Longstone at an exhibition soon ...
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/

southpier
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: large scale narrow gauge micro layouts

Postby southpier » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:31 am

really nice
http://gn15.info/photo/images/2017/09/23/DSC04875.jpg

any "under construction " photos?

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:44 pm

Thanks Bill, I do actually have a target date for Longstone's first exhibition - our NSNGM Groups open day/exhibition in Beccles on 3rd March 2018. Mmm, well, I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for that one!

I'll look through my photos to see what "under construction" pics I have, and post them soon.

Cheers
Graham

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:41 pm

I attach a photos of the Mill buildings below which hopefully shows the construction:

Parts for the stores and office building. Slaters 7mm Dressed Stone glued onto 5mm foam board with UHU. I lightly sand the rear of the Slaters sheets to help with adhesion. It can also be stuck on the edges of the foam board with UHU as long as the UHU has gone tacky (ie: not wet). The windows are also glued with the UHU. (I have used UHU for so long now - over thirty years - that several parts of me are stuck together with it)

Rear of the Mill building: The foam board was glued on with wood adhesive, strengthened with off cuts of the foam board. Roof and capping stones are 3mm mdf. Doors are scratch built with 30 thou plasticard.

I used Milliput to fill-in edges, and especially the corner joints where the stones meet, which (unlike brick) leave gaping holes due to the depth of embossing.

Painting the plasticard was done with eight colours of Humbrol, the card and mdf was painted with three Acrylic colours.

Cheers
Graham
Last edited by Grum on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:44 pm

This is a lovely job, Graham, thank you for sharing.

Thanks too for the detail of the building construction - they are quite superb.

Les
"Because I Can"

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:51 pm

Great work and hopefully inspiration.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Thanks Les and Doc,

I know that my way of making things is not everybody's cup of tea. I chose to build in this way as it is relatively fast(?), also the stone work is similar to the area that I wanted to model, and it is very light weight, in fact if I could find something strong'ish to replace the mdf, I would.

Graham

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Spring Head Mill board.
I thought that things have moved-on sufficiently to try a few posed photos:

"Proteus" is seen shunting into the mill siding. I was hoping to to be able to protect the mill siding with a gate, but space didn't allow me to do this, so it's just a rusty old chain strung from post to post and a "No entry" sign hanging from it. The exit to the adjoining village board is masked off with a calendar picture in this photo. We chose to model the tree with old fashioned lichen at this point to stop small leaf foliage falling onto the turnout beneath...but looking at this image it appears that's failed then!

A view over the wall into the mill yard with "Delta" shunting. The small halt in the foreground is just for mill workers. The corrugated iron roof is home made with cat food foil dishes pressed on a former made of strips of old "n" gauge rail glued to a sheet of plastic. The yard lamps are heightened Lemax products. The ground cover was made with a mush ball of p.v.a, acrylic grey paint and fine sawdust, mixed with advanced lightweight filler.

"Triton" is about to leave the mill yard. My wife built the wall, and did all the scenic work.

I will have to add a few more details to the yard yet including some rubbish/scrap.

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:20 pm

The Mill scene looks really good, Graham, and the locos are stunning. It's all those little touches of detail in the scene that make it stand out.
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.

Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:48 pm

beautiful and crowded, like life should be.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Postby MickT » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:46 am

Outstanding work from both of you Graham! Congratulations and best regards to the boss!

Mick

Return to “Modelling Matters”