(F) My First Layout.

A home for threads which don't relate to minimum(ish) gauge railways

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Rowland Emett influenced O-16.5 modelling. Occasional GN15 modelling. Sheds.

(F) My First Layout.

Postby Kevin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:21 pm

After hovering around the Gnatterbox and being distracted by other modelling projects, I have moved my railway modelling out of the armchair and into the shed. I have decided to just get on with building a layout and learn as I go along.

I have had help and advice from other Gnatterboxers already and will probably ask for more.

The track plan is a very basic loop with 1 siding. Scale is 7mm using 16.5mm gauge.

As I said this is a learning exercise. I originally wanted to build a continuous loop to use as a test track to test locos and stock which were to be built ready for some far off future layout.

I thought that if I am going to build a test track, I might as well put the extra effort in and build a proper micro layout. This will allow me to develop my scenic and architectural skills and will also be more fun to play with.

The baseboard is a sandwich of hardboard, polystyrene and foam board held together with No More Nails. I tested this on some scrap pieces of polystyrene and foam board and it showed no signs of melting so hopefully, it will be OK.

Track is peco. A mix of standard gauge 16.5mm and narrow gauge 16.5mm flexi track.

Only the front of the loop and the siding will be visible. The track will emerge from one side of an industrial building, travel across a yard and enter the at the other end of the building. Period will be flexible as I am aiming for a building which looks like it has been extended and altered over a long working life. One of the best source for photos of industrial buildings is the 28 days later forum. It is easy to spend hours searching through this site collecting images as you go. There is often a potted history of the site. Some of the forum members are very knowledgeable about military history, old vehicles, railways and many other fields.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/

This one is a good example. Recommended for lovers of rust.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/sho ... hp?t=36152

I know that it has been mentioned on here before, but it is always worth reminding people of good resources.

The buildings will be mostly corrugated iron. Main source of inspiration is this building alongside the South Wales main line at Briton Ferry, South Wales.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93849157@N00/2514433798

If anyone is interested, more pictures are just over half way down the following link including some which show how the corrugated section was knitted into the existing brick and stone buildings. The photos from the adjacent road show how small to medium sized industries once fitted right alongside houses in many industrial towns and cities. Now we seem to have everything in zones and business parks. This company,Taylor's Foundry has been on this site since 1862. They have recently relocated to a business park a mile or 2 away. This is probably better for their business needs but seems to me to be a lost link to the past.

http://www.britonferry2007.com/regentstreetwest2.htm

Corrugated iron is sheets of craft paper from Wilkinsons. These come in a variety pack of colours. I sprayed them black, dry brushed them green and then cut into individual sheets. Slightly soul destroying, particularly as each sheet has 4 visible white edges and needs edging with a black marker.

Basic baseboard has been ready for a week or 2.
Trackwork was completed yesterday. I am an electrical novice so I have relied on the help and advise of others. Barry Weston has kindly provided me with wired rail joiners, which has save me from resorting to my back-up plan which was a Hornby power clip.
I have bought a Gaugemaster Combi controller as this seems like a good basic controller to start with.

Wiring was done today and I had a Doctor Frankenstein moment.

''IT LIVES :!: ''

Buildings have been started.

More will be added as it happens.

Kevin
Railway Modelling inspired by the Holy Trinity of Rowland Emett, Colonel Fred Stephens and Oliver Postgate.

Also postmaster for The Gower Islands Postal Service.

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Rowland Emett influenced O-16.5 modelling. Occasional GN15 modelling. Sheds.

Postby Kevin » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:31 pm

The 3 buildings are now built as basic boxes.

These pics show them in place for a dry run.

The building on the left will be stone with a slate roof.

The building on the right will be brick with a flat roof.

Stone and brick will be scribed into foam sheets which will be glued to the foam and card boxes. The buildings will all be removable for storage. I will add more pictures when more details have been added.

Windows in the corrugated building are clear plastic sold as envelope stiffeners. I will add basic window frames in front of them and paint the backs to give a dirty finish.
Railway Modelling inspired by the Holy Trinity of Rowland Emett, Colonel Fred Stephens and Oliver Postgate.

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Kevin » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:15 am

I just realised that I have not mentioned the name of my layout.

This is the works of Griffiths Industrial Tubing. (GIT)

The older stone built part of the works at the left hand end is known as the Old GIT Works.

The name might change.

After seeing the link to Troels Kirk's wonderful modelling,
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topi ... C_ID=23577
I am going to bite the bullet and have a go at some hand lettered signs.

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Kevin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:20 am

Not much layout progress to report. I have embossed brickwork into a sheet of polystyrene foam for the front wall of the right hand building. 2 more walls to go and then I will make a start on the stonework for the older building at the left hand side of the layout.

I can’t post any pictures at the moment as my computer has died.

For the stonework, I am going to use the egg box method. I have started a thread in Modelling Matters with a link to a very good website using this method. I have used this material for a small amount of stone modelling and was pleased with the results.

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5781

I have also spent some time gathering more images of factory details such as pipework and roof vents and hopefully will put them to good use.

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Kevin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:25 pm

Work on the layout has progressed but due to computer problems, I can’t post pictures.
The buildings are now structurally complete.
The largest building across the back is complete and the walls and roof are clad in corrugated sheets.
The stone building at the left has been stone clad using egg box card. I have painted it a dark grey and highlighted with a lighter grey.
I think that I will have to rethink this colour scheme as it looks too dark when I added the slate roof. I think that a brown stone would improve things.
I have completed the brickwork on the building at the right and this has received a basic basecoat and first highlight.
This building has a flat roof with a tarred felt covering using masking tape.

Sprue, heavy duty wire and a drinking straw have been used to make pipework and wires.

I have built three sliding gates. I will paint them next and make a start on the windows.

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Kevin » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:28 pm

Not much progress over the last week or 2 but I have added details to the brick part of the works.

I have made the door for the front entrance to the works and it will be added when painted and detailed.

The left hand end of this wall will have a dummy sliding gate, which hopefully will cover the worst part of the join there. I am plucking up the courage to paint a sign on the wall between the gate and the door.

The gate is built and ready to add, as is the gate for the rail entrance to this building at the other side.

Pipe work is built and will be added, along with the gates when I have finished weathering the brickwork.

Roof vents will be added using the tops of ‘Splenda’ sweetener dispensers.

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Kevin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:24 pm

Just a small progress update on the layout.

The brick building has had gates and other details added. No photos at present sorry. The stone building with egg box cladding is also complete apart from the roof and a bit of weathering. I added weatherboards to the other 2 sides after these photos were taken. The black area will be hidden by the end wall of the corrugated building.

Cruel close up.

I'm hoping to finish the stone building over the next week or so and hopefully, get on with the yard surface and finish this off.

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Kevin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:19 am

This is made from many egg cartons. The lid usually gives a large flat area but the egg 'pockets' can be useful when you are going to cut
it into small pieces anyway. The rounded sections of the cartons can
be flattened out by hand.

The corners were cut from thicker material. This is the same type
of card but comes from electrical goods packaging.

The pieces for the door surround were cut over long and bent around the
corners in a U shape to give a good adhesion to the surface. All my
buildings are made using Copydex glue.

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”