amoured train 15'' romney hyde

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:22 pm

Cross Kitter wrote:Good grief DCRfan, you don't use those newfangled calculator thingies do you :lol: I've only recently traded in my abacus for a slide rule :roll:

I remember being told by a very experienced engineer, don't use a ruler if you can help it but transfer a size from a 1:1 detail drawing - less chance of error :oops:

Calculator - yes I do keep the AA battery manfacturers in business :oops:

Well by ruler I actually mean me old mums dress making tape measure :wink:

I would love to check out the original drawings but they are probably buried deep in the for 'UK Eyes Only' archives where items of national embrassment are kept or more likely they were long ago chucked out :lol:
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:24 pm

The extremely sad fact probably is that they have been chucked out. :evil: our local Council burnt all their "extent of maintained highway" maps because they had put the centre line of all roads onto a Geographical Information System - great until there was a dispute about who owned a piece of tarmac in a cul-de-sac :oops: :oops: :oops:

However I was given a large selection of photographs that were "chucked out" of The "Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Company Limited Builders Smethwick England"

Absolutely superb set with some for the "Ceylon Government Railway" ie "Bogie Covered Goods Wagon Indent No 570/CSO/839" a real beauty with lots of outside strapping with loads of rivet detail :lol: I would post some here but all the photos were huge and I haven't got round to stitching them all back together again and I scanned them at a very high resolution so they are enormous files each one being over 100MB :shock:

I will though endeavour to sort them out soon and will put them on the GnATTERbox AS SOON AS I CAN.
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:53 am

Well I finally concocted a basic outline drawing of a 22ft long wagon based on Davies R&ER and RH&DR book dinensions, the video clip of the train and what pictures I have.

Paul

Gnu Zealand

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:36 am

Looking good Paul. I admire your dedication.

Simon.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:53 am

Well Christmas holiday has started so I've begun to build one of thea armoured wagons. So far the basic structure is finished and I'm starting on the side armour.

Unfortunately the computer is playing up and I can't download pictures from the camera :cry:
Paul

Gnu Zealand

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:54 am

I was just measuring the last piece of the wagon structure, the armoured plate on the top when I realised something was wrong :shock: A check with the plan identifed that I have built the basic wagon structure to the width of the add on armour so overall it is about 7mm too wide :cry:

Yes I gnow the old addage measure TWICE cut once .... Still it shouldn't be too hard to correct by slicing off one side.

This is one of the problems of building in another scale. I'm so used to the size of 1:24th it just didn't register that in 1:35th is was way too wide.
Paul

Gnu Zealand

wahiba
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: railway, especially narrow and electric, motorbikes, movie making

Postby wahiba » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:52 pm

Started reading this thread from the beginning.

Regarding the .5" Boyes Rifle.

Believe it or not a decendant exists and is no doubt being used in Afghanistan.

Check this link:

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/AW50.php

I thought the UK had given up small arms manufacturing - seems I was wrong.
Too many interests, so never bored!
David Usher http://www.siltec.co.uk

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:22 am

Actually it only took a few minutes to cut off the excess and re-attach the side
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:20 pm

Found this old news reel on the 'Chicken Pate News' web site. Don't know if its been posted here before :?: But enjoy anyway :D http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=23299

Simon.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:12 pm

When a problem looks insurmountable I use that clip for to stir up my moral :lol: For some reason the theme music for Dads Army always comes to mind.

I'm having so much fun making Rhodesian armoured vehicles at the moment I've done no more on the armoured wagon. :oops: Actually the thought of making 1:35th scale 15 gauge bogies and wheels is the hold up. I'd better play the video clip again :P
Paul

Gnu Zealand

DCRFAN 3
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Re: amoured train 15'' romney hyde

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:33 am

I've resurrected this thread as I made amazing discovery at https://forum.axishistory.com/index.php which is an extract from the War Diary of the British Army unit the built the armoured train.

The model train enthousiast in 1940 was the Battalion Adjutant of the 6th Somerset Light Infantry, one captain Ellis, according to the unit’s War Diary (WO 166/4657):

“He proposes to run an armoured train consisting of three iron hopper waggons with two Lewis Guns and an Anti-Tk rifle mounted to provide mobile fire power. The train is to be drawn by one of the line’s engines, which is a Rolls Royce 12 Cylinder Motor mounted on bogies with a driver’s cab to be specially armoured by the R.E. The line is probably to be requisitioned throughout its length for the use of the whole Bde front.”

The line had by then been closed to civilian traffic. The Royal Engineers. began work on the train in a workshop in New Romney. It was soon found the diesel engine could not support the weight of the armour and it was replaced by a steam engine (2-4-1 Hercules).

Operation Instruction No. 6 of the 6th SLI of 10 sept.1940:
(…)
3. Defences in sector T will be reinforced by a mobile light armoured train operating between New Romney and Bridge 562510.
4. If a situation develops on the Right flank A Sub Area the train may be used to reinforce this flank under orders from 135 Inf. Bde.
5. This train will normally be based on New Romney station, but during the hours of darkness when a state of readiness is ordered it will move to Dymchurch station. This move will be completed nightly by 2000 hours.
6. Train crew will consist of: Train Commander; 2 Turret Gunners; 2 A.A. gunners; Engine Driver; and Spare Driver-Loader.
7. The train will carry reserve S.A.A., rations and water.
8. Tasks:
a) To reinforce by fire any of the forward areas.
b) To deny to the enemy approach along or crossing of line of Light Railway.
c) To patrol between the boundaries specified at dusk and dawn (Note: task c) will not at present be undertaken until the results of a trial have been considered.
9. Train Commander will arrange for the following stores to be on siding at Dymchurch station:
1 Ballast waggon, ready filled.
1 Small truck, coal reserve
Dump of rail, fishplates, spikes,
so that in the event of damage to the line by bombing repairs may be effected quickly.

10. During state of alarm the train will remain under cover in Dymchurch station with steam up by night. Train crew will rest until stand-to; spare personnel will find a sentry. At stand-to spare personnel will piquet approaches to station.
11. No other train services will run in the evening during period of alarm.
12. Intercommunication - Normally by civilian telephone – Littlestone 36 or Litlestone 50. During alarm by D.R., runner or cyclist to Dymchurch station.
13. Code name for train is under consideration.
14. Armoured train will make a trial patrol run from New Romney to Burmarsh Road and return to Dymchurch station on Tuesday September 10th and will be timed to pass Dymchurch Station on the outward run at 1940 hours. The up line only will be used for this purpose.”

t would seem that the armoured train did not last long on active service, judging by an entry in the War Diary of the 160th Railway Construction Company R.E. (WO 166/3647) for 13 January 1941 (by which time the SLI had left Romney Marsh):

"Major Suffolk & Captain Whitehouse to Littlestone to inspect Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway. Found railway in deplorable condition - 99% of engines out of repair, rolling stock in fair condition, buildings mostly looted - signals mostly out of repair - track in fair condition. Arrangements made to send two Sappers and 6 A.M.P.C. to maintain track. Inspection of railway made in company with Major Cantlie R.E. and Captain Beer (? ... handwriting) R.E."

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Postby PeterH » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:16 pm

Did you ever finish your wagon? You’ve modelled several armoured wagons on rails and they all seem a bit suspect to me. If the attacker destroys bits of the track, aren’t the defenders then stuck in a box with limited field of fire?

That Axis war history forum was fascinating, but I have too many distractions ...
Peter

DCRFAN 3
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:13 am

No not the 1/35th scale project but I'm just scoping a 1/48th scale version. Armoured trains either carried their own track repair supplies and workers or they were available on call so yes a train could be temporally delayed but had the ability to repair minor track breaks. Against lightly armed guerrillas a armoured train was more than capable of defending itself. Where they suffered was attack by tanks, heavy artillery and ground attack aircraft.

And yes I agree the axis forum has some amazing threads on a wide variety subjects. I spent hours going through things like AFV turrets used on fortifications etc.

Return to “Modelling Matters”