I see it's coming up 3 weeks since my last post on this project. As those of you who have read of my past painting travails will expect, it's this aspect of the build which has been keeping my fund of expletives flowing.
The white Mr Surfacer 1000 is less a filler than a primer. The first coats just showed up flaws which had to be filled and sanded, not helped by the pieces falling off the painting stand just after a coat had been put on, so they were nice and sticky and picked up lots of bits
I had intended to paint it with Railmatch BR warning panel yellow - I started with an old can found in the back of the garage, which proceeded to spray a very thin, runny gloop onto the frames, despite vigorous shaking of the can. Having wiped the worst off and rubbed the frames down I bought a nice new can, but decided that the yellow was too egg-yolky. I had seen some interesting spray cans of acrylic paint in an art shop in Oxford, so decided to try that. The can is 400ml, and cost £4.95 - special offer (means no-one is buying it). The pressure is lower than the usual spray, but the paint covers well. On the down side, it takes a long time to dry - it seems to remain 'sticky' for a couple of days. Also, perhaps because of the low pressure, the coat is a bit orange-peely. The yellow is a shade lemony, too - all very fruity.
The results so far:
Now to add to the angst - weathering. I was in Howes model shop recently and saw some stuff called Modelmates Weathering Liquid. This is a coloured ink, for want of a better word, that is water soluble and can be thinned to achieve varying shades. You can work it with damp cotton buds or rag after application to get different effects. I've got Mud Brown, Rusty Red and Slate Grey, and I'm going to try it out on some test pieces before it gets anywhere near the model - hours of fun.