A Lister Autotruck in 1:24

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

A Lister Autotruck in 1:24

Postby Ian-IoM » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:16 pm

Inspired by Broadoak’s piccys of a very nice Lister Autotruck posted in blether I’ve started a model version:
The frame was built up with plasticard laminations then I’ve started a bit of detail, working out from the steering ring thingummy. All built up from plasticard, sprue and a bit of brass wire for the footbrake. The non slip checker plate (or whatever it’s called) for the footplate (if you call it that on a non-rail dooda) made me go a bit bog eyed – I made it up by marking out a grid on a piece of plasticard then sticking on lots of short bits of microstrip, ok for a small piece but I wouldn’t want to try a big area…
Ian K
Be seeing you...

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Re: A Lister Autotruck in 1:24

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:24 pm

Ian-IoM wrote:The non slip checker plate (or whatever it’s called) for the footplate (if you call it that on a non-rail dooda) made me go a bit bog eyed – I made it up by marking out a grid on a piece of plasticard then sticking on lots of short bits of microstrip, ok for a small piece but I wouldn’t want to try a big area…

Still trying to decide if that is dedication, or stupidity :lol:
Probably would have been as quick t get some sent over from Slaters Plasticard, if it wasnt a holiday weekend :lol:
OK, I'm impressed anyway and look forward to watching it develop. Looks an ideal space saving vehicle for your quayside too
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:40 pm

I am delighted you found the pictures useful.

As Steve says, a very impressive start. 8)
Peter M

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:06 am

I made it up by marking out a grid on a piece of plasticard then sticking on lots of short bits of microstrip, ok for a small piece but I wouldn’t want to try a big area…

I am impressed that you went to the trouble of making checker plate this way, just goes to show that when the muse trikes one gets on with it one way or another.

The model is looking good so far.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Re: A Lister Autotruck in 1:24

Postby DCRfan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:35 am

Ian-IoM wrote:The non slip checker plate (or whatever it’s called) for the footplate (if you call it that on a non-rail dooda) made me go a bit bog eyed – I made it up by marking out a grid on a piece of plasticard then sticking on lots of short bits of microstrip, ok for a small piece but I wouldn’t want to try a big area…

I propose, Ian-IoM is forevermore to be Gnow as Checkerplate to celebrate his dedication to rivetcounting well beyond where most of us would bother to go. Must be something in the sea air or it was a really boring night on TV :roll:
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:56 am

I can post a link to a German supplier of chequerplate in 1:24 scale?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:24 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually the round bit and bearing stuff took a lot longer to do than the checkerplate :P

For the pips on the plate I used wide microstrip and cut thin slices so the width of the strip was the length of the pip - that way they all come out the same size. Once they were stuck and set a light sandpaper evened up the height of the pips, the pattern is a bit irregular if you look closely but I think the effect is ok overall.

Anyway, I like a bit of rivet therapy :oops:
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:45 am

Impressed, to say the least!

Such effort seems to deserve more than a static model at the end though. Have you considered animating it?

Perhaps using by magnets on the underneath drawn by other magnets moved beneath the road surface.

Having seen home made checkerplate we're now awaiting the working model of a Lister single pot in plasticard though... And a driver with r/c servo driven arms to steer it. :lol:

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:14 am

Ian Hodgkiss

The Steamy Pudding (in progress)

West of Worcester (in progress)

Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)

Brisbane, Australia

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:00 am

Blackcloud Railways wrote: ... we're now awaiting the working model of a Lister single pot in plasticard though... And a driver with r/c servo driven arms to steer it. :lol:

Not forgetting the sound chip and smoke generator of course :wink:

It probably could be done with the size of RC gear you can get now, but I think I'll pass on that one...

From the crane challenge a year or so ago:
Ian-IoM wrote:
Ian-IoM wrote: ... I intend the gearing to work ...

If I ever say anything like that again will somebody please shoot me :|

A static model with nothing working this time, for the sake of any remaining sanity :?
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:37 pm

Pootling on and it’s now a rolling chassis:
Well it would roll if the wheels turned :roll: . Borrowing an idea from Ian Roberts I made one wheel from plasticard then moulded two more using Fimo (Fimo mould and wheels, talcum powder as a release agent – worked well, thanks Ian.)

For modelling purposes the autotruck seems to break down into two main parts – 1: chassis, load deck and back wheels, and 2: engine and front wheel, with the steering ring dooda and leaf springs connecting them. In plasticard terms that’s two substantial lumps connected by thin fragile bits, hmmm not a good plan, so a bit of subterfuge at the front end:
A bit of bike spoke to mount the front wheel, should be fairly unobtrusive viewed from above on the finished model. I’ll probably attach another bit going up from the front wheel to mount the engine – that way the leaf springs aren’t structural, the wheels wont turn but I can live with that if it means the model doesn’t fall to bits if you look at it the wrong way :?
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:26 am

G'day Ian

Like the way that the autotruck is progressing even though it is a static model ( I loooove to see things like this really move ).
However I can see and understand your reasons.
For a start the chassis would have to probably be brass for strength and the mechanism, let alone the control system, would have to be tiny !
Maybe when you have finished your build and solved all the difficult build problems you might have a go at a motorized version ?
(Just kidding)

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:31 am

I have several static lorries on Smithies Yard. The main problem with making them move is to have a model reason for them moving from A to B, the same as having a reason for having trains move The Lister truck ( great model) could hve a motor, under a load, driving the back axle, with the front wheel being free running.
I have seen models of small lorries running on hidden guides set in to a model road, (could be magnets). These must have had very small motors to drive them. I can though see a reason for such a Lister running between buildings on a factory site, with say empty boxes going into a building and full ones coming out.

Static model or not , it looks a great model!

Ralph

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:07 am

Thanks folks,

As for static / running, if I was building for an exhibition layout then I’d now be swotting up on brass and electric motors – probably a motor hidden under a load driving the back wheels with a free running front wheel (come to think of it the same cheat to mount the front wheel could be used as long as the steering didn’t need to work, it could just be a straight run following some sort of hidden guide.). The idea of a Lister emerging from a building and putt-putting along to disappear into another is pretty cool. Sound essential I think, Listers aren’t silent, but a speaker under the layout would probably do.

But back on planet Earth I live on a small island with expensive ferries and can’t really do exhibitions, perhaps I’ll make it to one in the UK sometime but certainly not as a regular activity :( . So it’s static for now, despite the temptations of making a working one (must resist…)
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:58 pm

G'day Ian,

Just in case you decide to change your mind and that you DO want to go down the motorizing path I will leave you with the suppliers site that I purchased some tiny motors and gearboxes from a few years ago.
http://www.gizmoszone.com/shopping/agor ... motor2.htm
Not only do they do motors and gearboxes at 6mm dia. X about 25 mm long but they also do right-angled gears, which would be ideal for mounting the drive directly over the front wheel.
This would allow for really tight turns ! (just like the prototype)
I hope that I am not putting too much pressure on you, after all it is your project.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Hmm, some nice small motors and gears there - could definitely have model animation uses...

...but still no motor in the Lister :P , I'm all for animation on exhibition layouts and a working autotruck would attract some attention but this one is basically a scenic prop for a home layout and is definitely staying as a non-working plasticard-and-stuff lump, with no working bits, and nothing working :roll:

Actually the rear wheel drive non-steer option would be quite easy to do, prototypical front wheel drive and steering could be tricky, as for full RC with sound and animated driver? Could probably be done but I'll leave that to someone else.
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Ian Roberts
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways

Postby Ian Roberts » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:51 pm

Glad the Fimo idea worked for you, Ian. Cracking model by the way!
On the matter of static vehicles, I like the idea of having one or two hanging about, like the Landies at Balnakeil. They are a useful reference for the scale of everything else, especially if your visitors/viewers are unfamiliar with narrow gauge stuff. And there could be a good reason for a vehicle not moving. Most obviously, being loaded, but also, perhaps, being repaired. (But I don't think you'd want to have bits of you're lovely Lister lying about - at least, not yet!)
Ian

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:14 pm

Several days and lots of small funny shaped bits of plasticard later:

All the bits and pieces are built up from plasticard, laminated for thickness and filed to shape, with a bit of rod and microstrip for details. Fiddly and time consuming, but strangely relaxing... :roll:

The engine unit isn't fixed to the chassis yet, hence the lack of mounting bits at the end of the leaf springs.
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:07 pm

That's superb Ian, are you taking commissions :?: :wink:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:11 pm

That looks excellent Ian it really is beginning to take shape. 8)

I must admit when I photographed it I found it a very tactile device. I kept wanting to touch the sensuous shape of the engine. I should imagine cleaning it is a real pleasure.

I can see how you found shaping the plasticard therapeutic.
Peter M

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Lister Truck

Postby Bilco » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Lovely work on the engine, Ian. I sympathise about the "small funny shaped bits of plasticard" - that's where I'm at right now, and I'm still looking for one bit in the carpet ....
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:58 am

G'day Ian
Thanks for the latest picture.
That's a really great model.
Engine looks as if it could almost run.
Can't wait to see it when its finished and painted.

Bill wrote:
Lovely work on the engine, Ian. I sympathise about the "small funny shaped bits of plasticard" - that's where I'm at right now, and I'm still looking for one bit in the carpet ....
I usally don't even start to look in the carpet ..... just start over again....its normally quicker.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Re: Lister Truck

Postby Ian-IoM » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:26 am

Thanks all,
(sort of thinking I should have a go at a rail version after this...)

Bilco wrote: and I'm still looking for one bit in the carpet ....

I have been known to rummage through the bin looking for a part I've carefully shaped then thrown away with the offcuts :oops:
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:08 pm

More plasticard and wire, and it’s almost ready for priming:

There are still a few bits to add later, like control linkages, but at the moment the engine unit takes off for painting. This shows the cheat for mounting the engine too, and why the wheels don’t turn:
Hmm, still need to find some mesh for the flywheel guard too…
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi

I have plenty of pictures of auto-trucks but cannot locate any plans .

Does anybody have links to drawings that would be useful in the construction of a Lister autotruck?
I also was wondering what roughly would be the date when they were first introduced?

Regards Ralph.

Return to “Modelling Matters”