(F) Something Fishy

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

(F) Something Fishy

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:56 pm

Excuse the title, I couldnt resist it.

Last weekend at a show, I picked up a couple of buckets full of fish from George Turner Models:

http://www.georgeturnermodels.com

Thinking that they would look good on a waterfront model (which I might get around to one day). He also does boxes of fish, but looking at them, I thought I could do better myself, so this week set to and had a go. Below you can see how they came out:

And in cruel close-up, much larger than lifesize:

Before starting, I thought painting would be a bit of a challenge, but when it came to it, they were really easy, but it took two attempts. First the buckets and boxes were painted, then I painted all the fish with a Humbrol Silver enamel. Once dry, I applied a very dilute black poster paint, allowing it to settle in all the nooks and crannies between the individual fish. When dry, it looked awful, the silver was far too bright, so I went over all the fish again with Humbrol Matte Aluminium, then again, a wash of black over them all and set them aside to dry. Coming back later, the appearance was much better and what you can see in the pics above. They catch the light just enough, a very simple technique, but very effective.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed May 03, 2006 12:08 pm

Just a very quick demonstration of how I made the fish. For this demo I used Blu-tac as it was handy, Milliput or clay would have been better, but it does show the idea. Very simple to do and I expect some of our better sculptors will laugh at this pretty poor attempt. I probably should have done it oversize too, so the camera could focus better:

Steve Bennett

Sidelines

http://www.pepper7.com

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Wed May 03, 2006 11:52 pm

Steve;

That's a good technique and very similar to one I've seen used a bit. I've got a small train somewhere in my future that will need similar boxes of fish and your method got me thinking.

I've been using flexible Sculpey for making quick, usually one-sided molds, so I thought the technique might add to what you've already come up with. I did a quick test this afternoon and it seems to hold some promise:

These are probably larger than what you've done, they're 7/8" long. I sculpted the pattern fish quite quickly, using some old screen to press in the texture of the scales. I made the mold (just press the clay on!) and baked it. I only did a few fish as I don't have anything to do with them yet, but it's a quick process and the good thing is that the fish are still moldable before baking so they can be stacked or bent to look more varied and natural. I wouldn't suggest doing boxes and boxes of fish this way, but a few on top would nicely suggest greater detail in the ones below? There's something on how to do the molds in my figure chapters somewhere, if you're interested.

Chris

Return to “Modelling Matters”