(F) Sand Hutton Light Railway

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Sir Briand
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

(F) Sand Hutton Light Railway

Postby Sir Briand » Tue May 15, 2007 11:30 pm

Found this link on the 7mm NGA and thought it worth passing on. Food for thought re a layout theme. OK it is 18", but it did start out as 15".

http://www.btinternet.com/~hoppitt/shlr/slide01.htm

Brian

{EDIT: The above link is now dead, but the conversation it started carries on}
Sir BRIANd :wink:
Paint your people to look like they belong!
http://www.brifayle.ca

jameswaterfield
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: full size minimum gauge

Postby jameswaterfield » Wed May 16, 2007 9:52 pm

I walked the trackbed where possible a year or two ago. On the whole, quite flat, uninspiring scenery, not at all the sort Yorkshire is famous for.

The sad thing about Sand Hutton is that Sir Robert Walker died very young. Had he got to a good age, the railway would have still been there in the 1960's! (probably).

The engines were lovely, wide but stable, because they had well tanks. The saloon carriage survives largely original and intact at The Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway near Skegness, Lincolnshire.
James Waterfield

David Nix
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Computing, Caravanning

Postby David Nix » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:11 pm

Just had a very pleasant five days in Sand Hutton, yes there is still evidence of the railway's existence, but what has really changed is the amount of vegetation and size of trees making it very difficult to see some of the evidence. Will post photos in the next few days.
David

A Gnother Gnotts Gn15 Gnutter

David Nix
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby David Nix » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:15 am

Hi Folks, here are the photos - don't expect railway, after all this is 'the railway that isn't there', but it is fascinating to be able to trace it's existence approx 75 years after it closed.

We'll start at Warthill Station on the former York to Hull line where the Sand Hutton Light Railway (SHLR) had interchange sidings -- they have all gone, but the station buildings still exist, that's the signal box on the left with the station building behind, I'm standing on what was a level crossing:

From the interchange sidings, the SHLR crossed a road and ran alongside a bridle path, i.e. along the grass verge to the left of the car:

About halfway along the bridle path it crossed the Stank Beck (a fair sized stream), the bridge girders (SG rails) are still in place.

Here is the site of White Syke Junction -- straight on for the brickworks and Ings Farm, branch right for Sand Hutton Village and Bossall:

I didn't try to find the brickworks, but here is where the line terminated at Ings Farm, the gable can be clearly identified:

Following the branch to Sand Hutton the 'Depot' was encountered first, this looked rather like a Nissen hut but no longer exists, here is the field where it was situated:

Just behind me is the site of the 'Forth Bridge' where the SDLR recrossed the Stank Beck, this was a more substantial bridge with four concrete piers, but the undergrowth and trees are now so thick I could only see one pier.

It was just possible to make out some brickwork with a pipe coming out of it which presumably carried surface water from a nearby house and was not another pier - which begs the question what has happened to the piers? Have they been demolished? There was certainly no evidence of the bridge rail shown across the piers:

Just beyond the bridge, the railway was carried on a low embankment across what is now the garden(s) of a house or houses and it is such an embankment that can be seen at the back of these trees:

The building of new houses and verdant vegetation appear to have obliterated all trace of the railway in the village itself (I didn't go into the Hall grounds); then the railway made its way across the fields to Bossall where I could find no trace either.

I don't know whether it's my imagination or maybe marks left by farm machinery, but there does seem to be a line of lighter grass coming from the far hedge towards the tree then following the shadow of the tree. :? For the railway did follow something like that route.

Well there we are, I hope you found that interesting, I certainly enjoyed the exploring. :lol:
Last edited by David Nix on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:58 pm

Thanks David...

As to the 'Forth Bridge' piers: it's entirely possible that they have been undermined, toppled, and/or pushed downriver and sufficiently obscured in 75 years of silt buildup and bush and bush growth that they are unrecognisable as man-made now (in other words, they could be right there but look like a lump of silt under a bush).

A river is very powerful, even a small one, and if left to its own devices can change course in that time in soft ground.

I knew Geography 'A' levels would be useful one day...
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

Geoffrey Tribe
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Tramways + Narrow Gauge + anything else on rails

Postby Geoffrey Tribe » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:56 pm

Several of the pre-grouping mainline companies provided huge tile maps on their larger stations. This section of a North Eastern Railway one, which I photographed at Scarborough last Friday, shows lines around York. Of relevance to this topic is that Warthill station is just above the centre of the image.

Although presumably pre-1923, I am not sure of the exact date of the map -- but you certainly cannot travel over all of the lines shown on it today :evil:

Geoffrey Tribe

David Nix
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby David Nix » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:30 pm

Thanks for the responses, particularly the railway map Geoffrey.

Further to Andy's comments, here is an image of the 'Forth Bridge' from a web site:

(photo by Ron Evers - not sure who holds the copyright but I trust they won't mind its inclusion here).

I believe this picture was taken between 1960 and 1970. The nearest pier is the one shown on my photo hiding in the undergrowth. The brickwork I could see through the foliage was about where pier 3 would have been, and there was no sign of pier 2 -- any of the suggestions made by Andy could have occurred, but the fact I could see brickwork with an open pipe coming through it suggests that some redevelopment has also occurred.
David

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:58 am

As invariably happens while searching NZ Papers Past on line I found something totally unexpected.

Evening Post 1 Dec 1920

Headline Light Railways Inspiration From New Zealand
From Our Own Correspondent

Paul
Gnu Zealand

Return to “Prototype Prattles”