The Stamping Ground Gold Mine

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

The Stamping Ground Gold Mine

Postby Glen A » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:29 pm

Here is my first effort in Gn15.

I found a model car kit on our local version of ebay, which was missing the car shell, so none of the model car people wanted it. But it still had the motor, (plus a lot of other parts I may be able to use), so $4 for the auction and $5 for the postage :!: and it was on my door step :D .

The loco fits on a Tenshodo spud unit.
I just need to work out how I can mount the plastic motor and still get to the screw underneath that holds the loco top to the Tenshodo chassis. I also haven't decided if the driver is going to sit side on or face the front. That depends on the layout track plan which is not confirmed yet.

Here is the next project (why finish one project when you can start another :twisted:)
A stamping battery for the mine.
What I am trying to build:
What I have so far:

I also have the stamp rods that go up and down, but I took them back out while I finish the wood frame work.
Last edited by Glen A on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:19 pm

That looks to be one rather powerful Loco Glen :wink:
You should be able to locate a Tenshodo without Gneed for screws for fixing - try Blutac, providing the clearances are reasonably tight it'll hold.
I like the loco concept 8)
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:56 pm

Off to a good start Glen :) . I have a box full of car kit bits that is raided when I want detail bits. That stamp mill looks very interesting, have had thoughts in that direction myself but have to limit how many minerals that can be mined in 30sq. feet :D .
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:35 pm

Glen,

You nailed the loco together :shock: Most of us use glue :wink:

The stamper looks good. I will watch your progress with interest. For the gears have a look at http://servolink.com/default.asp. I think Northyard are an NZ agent.
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:09 pm

As Gerry said, go for Blutac to attach the Tenshodo Glen, by far the best method and you wont need to get at it from above, leaving yo free to build above the footplate.

The stamps look very good, such simple but effective pieces of machinery.
Is this any help, the California Stamps at my local Treacle Mine, got to know these quite intimately while restoring them to working order, technology even I could understand :wink: .

http://www.richkni.co.uk/dartmoor/pix/miscell/kelly.jpg
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:03 am

DCRfan wrote:Glen,
You nailed the loco together :shock: Most of us use glue :wink:

You should know whats it's like down the bottom of the world :!:
Everything is upside down, and if you don't nail it all down, it just falls off and drifts out into space. I didn't want to risk just using glue :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the info about the gears, and blutac.

Thanks too Steve for that picture. I have printed it out and will use it as a reference for future work.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:20 am

Glen A wrote:Thanks too Steve for that picture. I have printed it out and will use it as a reference for future work.

More here Glen
http://www.kellymine.freeserve.co.uk/

Somewhere I have a whole load of photo's of these stamps, taken during the restoration, but have no idea where they are at the moment. How I wish we had had digital cameras back then :roll: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

http://www.pepper7.com

Joe Raymaker
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: narrow gauge history, Labrador Retrievers

Glen's Firt Effort

Postby Joe Raymaker » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:26 pm

Glen, thanks for posting the pix, and I really like your work. I suppose it's a burden to be "inspirational", just a cross you have to bear. Seriously,
I got some good ideas from seeing the loco "in process. As I am a beginner, that's very helpful. I give new meaning to the term "bash"<g>.

JR, in way northern California[/i]

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:28 pm

First Effort? :shock:
What're you like after you warm up?
Very neat work...
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:31 pm

Thanks for the comments so far :oops:

Now I have struck my first problem, (due to fact I am not very good a wethering and don't usually do it :( ).

So far I have put one thin black wash (small amount of black very diluted down with turps).

The result is Gnot was I was hoping for; it needs to be a more browny-red wood colour. But maybe I am by chance still heading in the right direction.
(the result is not as glossy as it appears in the picture).

So what is the recommended course of action next please?

The other thing is I left it for a day in the garage to dry, and took it back inside last night to work on it in the warm (It's winter over here). But after a couple of hours SWMBO eventually tracked the funny smell down to my project, so now it has been bannished out to the cold garage, at least till it doesn't smell any more :cry: :cry:

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:32 am

Use Acrylics Glen. They don't smell though I'm not going to suggest colours. They tend to vary depending upon Modeller preferences. Often best to try colour combinations on scrap wood first.

Jim Snee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" and 18" steam

Postby Jim Snee » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm

Hi Glen

I also recomend acrylics, also for wood try artists inks or Games Workshop inks (I presume the evil empire has extended as far as the southern hemisphere).

A cheep alternative (but not so permament) is a brush nibbed felt pen.

As far as colours, start with the lightest and work the darker colours over the top.

TTFN

Jim
I regard minimum guage as infinite - If anyone manages to build a man carrying train on 6.5mm track, then I'll try to model it in G-Scale!

GUTMACH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: narrow gauge, machining, Gn15, machining, err....

Postby GUTMACH » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:17 am

Good Grief Glen, is that a straight eight motor :!:

:shock:

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:45 am

Glen,

Got Coromandel Gold from the library. The glossery of technical terms states that the preferred sequence for stamps to operate in New Zealand were 1-4-2-5-3. I will be watching :lol: :lol: :wink:
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:54 pm

Thanks Paul.
I was aware there is a prefered order. However the book on Big River lists the order as 1-8-4-10-2-7-5-9-3-6, so I can only assume that it changes when you add a second set of stamps.

Anyway you will note that both orders are based on sets of 5. Where-as mine have (non-standard) sets of 4 (due to the packets of parts I used having 4 items in them) so I am similarly allowed to have a non-standard stamping order :wink:

Anyway now to the progress from the weekend:

Make new output tables at the front:

Also made the loading hoppers and frame-work for the back.
I also managed to weather the frame back to a colour matching the rest of the wood. (Thanks to Jim and Gerry for your suggestions).
I gave it a light sand, then put on lots of water, then a light wash of waterbased red/brown.

Hopefully the brass blackner will turn up this week, so I will be able to start assembling the rods and cams, and then I will find out if will actually run.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:03 am

Glen,

Looking good. Sets of four stamps are definitely Gneer enough for Gn15 8)
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Postby Gavin Sowry » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:52 am

:twisted: Phil Latterly might be interested in this thread...post him a note.
Gavin Sowry
Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:28 pm

Well, after several days wait, the local gun shop got in the metal blackener that I had ordered. So over the weekend I got the brass rods blackened, and fitted the cams.

I drilled a hole in the cams for the main rod. And then drilled a very small hole offset at a different rotation for each one. I threaded a small piece of wire through the smaller hole to act as a key (which you can just see in the photo) to hold them in line.

After sitting down with paper and and pencil and working out stamping order, I threaded all the cams on. Only to find out they were all on facing the wrong way :oops: , so the little suckers all came off again. Next time I got the order wrong :oops: . Anyway after the 3rd time I said Stuff It :!: thats the way they are staying right or wrong :evil:

The key wire was soldered on, and the cams were glued in place.
Tonight the glue will have hardened, and I will put on the tappets and find out if it all runs. If it works I will put on all the finishing details.
If not you will probably never hear of this again, and it will find its way to the back of the shelf. :cry:

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:48 pm

I'm impressed looks very technical; I've fingers crossed that it works as I'm sure it'll be a key feature on the layout 8)

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:57 am

Here is the latest update.
I’m getting close to finishing the build now. I won't be installing the drive wheel and motorising it until the water wheel is done (the next project).
But I have tried turning it by hand and the shafts all go up and down, so it looks like it will run ok.

I’m not happy with the weathering job, but it is about as good as I have ever done. The flash brings out totally different colours, and you can spot a lot of floors looking at the photo that you don't notice in the model. Well that's my story :wink:

I thought I had done a reasonable job, so I sent a photo to someone who had helped me with some info, and he responded with a page of technical things I had done wrong on it :x so you could say that its definitely not a scale replica then :twisted:

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:50 am

Glen that looks superb, the Guy that knows what's wrong with it could just be the only person that will see it who is aware of the technical details :roll:
My guess is that you have a real Wooooowww factor feature 8) and you'll have crowds watching it at a Show. Great modelling :mrgreen:

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:53 am

G,day Glen....It LOOKS right, so it must be right :D .
Have seen a number of stamp mills and it looks OK to me, good work.
.....WARNING....

Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.

1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.

Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......

Have a good one....John B.

Geno6309
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: NG,Sports Cars,Anything with 'fiddly bits' inside

Postby Geno6309 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:08 pm

Glen;
If you like the way it looks and I like the way it looks, and John and Gerry like the way it looks. Then it must be damn near perfect!
"I'm not building a model of a railroad. I'm building a caricature of one." Bill Livingston, Venango Valley RR, RMC 1971
Words to live by.
Gene Walker
www.fcdetc.blogspot.com

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:16 pm

Geno6309 wrote:Glen;
-------------------Then it must be damn near perfect!

Agreed Gene BUT I'm intrigued to what Glen has in mind Gnext 'cos that's likely to be an eye opener too :wink: sure to be 8)

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:15 pm

Gerry Bullock wrote:Agreed Gene BUT I'm intrigued to what Glen has in mind Gnext 'cos that's likely to be an eye opener too :wink: sure to be 8)

Thanks for your comments.
Well next is obviously the water wheel that drives the stamper, and then there is a 'lifting' device (or two), motorised of course. I've started working on them in the background. Can't really do much more until I start the layout to know how high they need to lift. It will be a most inefficient and un-prototypical mine, but hopefully I will have fun running it. :)

Hopefully it rains this weekend, then I will be forced indoors and then I can start building the layout :twisted:
I was hoping to have it finished for a train show here in October, but I've left it too late now :? . Maybe next year.

Return to “Modelling Matters”