(F) Wolds Way Lavender Railway Pics

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Coo
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: G,Gn15,Gnine,Monorail

(F) Wolds Way Lavender Railway Pics

Postby Coo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:33 pm

All these pics are 2MB each so your browser will probably not display them
in their full glory:

http://www.electrodev.co.uk/PhotoAlbums/album_1191861436/
Chris

DRP
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: All NG railways,especially "one-offs".Inland waterways.12ins to the foot canal boats.

Postby DRP » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:28 pm

Comparing the "original" livery with the green of Steve's model just shows how the lavender and white gives the prototype a terrible air of "naffness" which it perhaps doesn't deserve.

I did consider, however, that the buildings and the beauty still would lend themselves to an interesting micro layout along the lines of Carl Arendt's maple syrup factory. You could even have a smoke generator burning lavender oil -- that would really pull in the old ladies at exhibitions!

Not with the lavender and white paint job though (':evil:')

regards,
David
'I used to be indecisive--- but now I'm Gnot so sure". David.

Coo
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: G,Gn15,Gnine,Monorail

Postby Coo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:51 pm

DRP wrote:Comparing the "original" livery with the green of Steve's model just shows how the lavender and white gives the prototype a terrible air of "naffness" which it perhaps doesn't deserve.

Unfortunately, I was brought up with naffness, one of the local
agricultural engineers always painted their machinery purple. For some reason they also always had a high recovery rate from theft:

http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.c ... beyond.php
:o
Chris

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:04 pm

Wow, many thanks Chris. The pics are great, far better than than I could have hoped for. Looking at them, I do have the urge to have another go at modelling it, mine was a very quick adaptation of an O9 kit that I happen to have a few of, but now I could be tempted to go for it properly, just need to find some time.

Your photos show a lot more detail on the Roanoke loco than I could find before and I can also see that I will definately have to have a better go at the tender.

The second photo, I found pretty interesting, the difference in loading gauge between the coach and the wagon is quite considerable. I'm quite surprised how wide the wagon is, but that is a bonus for a minimum gauge rather than miniature model.

Thanks again, these will be put to good use, don't hold your breath waiting for the results though, it might take a while :) .
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

KeithB
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: World-wide NG industrial; std-gauge short-lines

Postby KeithB » Fri May 30, 2008 3:22 pm

Short article on Wolds Way in Issue 7 of Miniature Railway magazine, including some details of operations.
Regards,
Keith

Dogs have owners;
Cats have staff....

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri May 30, 2008 4:33 pm

KeithB wrote:Short article on Wolds Way in Issue 7 of Miniature Railway magazine, including some details of operations.

Damn, thought I had buried Wolds Way deep enough in my hard drive not to be bothered by it anymore. Definitely unfinished business as far as inspiration from that line is concerned.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

http://www.pepper7.com

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:30 pm

If anybody is going to build this then I hope they are going to find a nice and easy way of making lavender bushes. :!:

I notice that the rail is rectangular rather than bullhead or flat-bottom. That'll raise a few eyebrows at exhibitions!
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Jes
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Anything rusty that creeps on grassy tracks :)

Postby Jes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:44 pm

If anybody is going to build this then I hope they are going to find a nice and easy way of making lavender bushes.

That's exactly what I've been thinking about the past few days ... Suggestions, anyone? :)

Return to “Prototype Prattles”