Mine Manrider

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Mine Manrider

Postby DCRfan » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:22 am

Inspired by the pictures linked to this thread http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=3418
I've started a small four seat manrider for my Gn24 layout (yes I'm having a short rubber scale episode).

If I can find some more inspirational pictures I may also have a go at one of John Garaty's utilitarian (read as ugly) self propelled manriders shown at http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=3108&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:12 am

I remember when they closed Littleton Colliery in Staffordshire, watching a dozen or more manriders pass on a truck. There was (I think) even a rather crude 'ambulance' one, although it didn't look to be more than a cut-down conversion with an equally crude red cross on the side.
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

cornelius
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Modelling in 009 but giving narrower gauges in large scales envious glances

Postby cornelius » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:27 pm

How about a catrider?

Stephen ~ Fairlight blog

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:37 pm

cornelius wrote:How about a catrider?

So THAT is what Poppy dreams about! :D Her own railway carriage :wink:

Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:53 pm

If yours is like mine moggy all it would be dreaming of would be a mine hopper of cat food :lol:
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Re: Mine Manrider

Postby Oztrainz » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:44 pm

DCRfan wrote:Inspired by the pictures linked to this thread http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=3418
I've started a small four seat manrider for my Gn24 layout (yes I'm having a short rubber scale episode).

If I can find some more inspirational pictures I may also have a go at one of John Garaty's utilitarian (read as ugly) self propelled manriders...

Hey Paul...
UGLY :shock: Concorde they certainly ain't...But how much aesthetics should be applied to something that is never sees the light of day for 23 hours out of 24.

You want a utilitarian manrider, try this 2' gauge 12 seater - No roof required - You want it self-propelled as well??? - get the miners out to push :lol:

If you are going i/c powered, out here there are some pretty stiff restrictions in the real world regarding gas emissions that require gas scrubbers and similar exhaust conditioning equipment that effectively de-tune the motor to about 2/3 of its usual normally-aspirated horsepower/kW output. Hence a resonably large engine bay area is required. The scruubber catches any oxides of nitrogen produced by the engine which create nitric acid inside the scrubber. The pipework in this area is all stainless steel.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:53 am

Yikes, Toll Rail NZ colours. That's far too mainstream for me :cry:

I'm really looking for a battery powered prototype.
Paul

Gnu Zealand

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:05 am

I've made quick progress with the manrider. The picture shows it balanced on a Sidelines chassis to check tunnel clearances so it is higher than it will finally sit. The roof is just sitting in place as I realised it would be very dirty inside with all those filthy smelly tunnellers so I'm weathering the inside before continuing.

Paul

Gnu Zealand

Richard Morton
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge

Postby Richard Morton » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:14 am

you seem to be doing a mine shaft arrangment there I'll look in my stuff I have stored at my parents house when I'm there on the week end to see if I can fine those drawings of the E.long Limited compressed air loco they used to produce here it's very close to the small loco you have in your picture.

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Oztrainz » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:14 am

Hi Paul did you say 4 or 40? :twisted:
Below - 40 seater from Huntley colliery was on 3'6 but now on 2' gauge seated 5 wide across.

It doesn't matter which way you pack the miners into the car, it weighs that much that the centre of gravity is low and always between the rails so it won't tip,

The seating is less than salubrious for up to a 45 minute ride each way each shift. Most miners took their own cushions.

A closer look at the seating

And now for a 3' 6 " gauge 14-seater battery-electric self propelled mancar. This is the remains of a 1964 vintage EM Baldwin "jitney". As originally supplied it had no roof and the ends were eventually sheeted with clear (glass/perspex?). It was basically a battery-powered flatcar.

A photo at the top of Page 24 in the "Built by Baldwin" book shows it in service at Huntley colliery minus a roof but with a metal framed perspex? windscreen at each end that was just higher that the top of seated miner's hard hat.

Riders sat around the edge of the vehicle. Miners sat 3 at each end, with a seat on each side of central entry point on each side. The vertical cylinders are the sand containers for the sanders.

This photo shows the brake and sander arrangement on one axle, probably adjacent to the driver's position.

And here is where the missing motor and clip-in battery pack used to be - between the 2 axles - The battery ran longitudinally down the middle of the car. The photo mentiond shows the battery appearing to be 4"- 6" thick central divider and it was about shoulder height against a seated miner. The motor sat transversely under the battery and drove the axles by chain.

Unfortunately the book does not have plans for the "jitney". The diesel cars that replaced these were about 4'6" high with crew compartment on eac end that was 5'6" long on a 4' wheelbase. The inboard end of the crew compartment was over the wheelcentre of each axle. This gave a total length of just under 15' for the diesel manxcar.

A smaller GN15 version could be made easiest by bolting a 2-seat width crew compartment to one or both ends of one of your small balttery electric locos. Driving controls would be on each of the outboard crew compartment bulkhead. As a fleet operator this would standardise your battery and traction components. :) These units ran as singles and were rarely coupled together, so coupler overhang should not be an issue.

As to weathering the inside, yep the only couple I have seen inside of were almost solid dust/ mud to boot top level (steel-capped rubber gum boots were mandatory safety equipment) , seats were dusty but reasonably clean but the walls were smudged to shoulder level. There we greasy/ muddy hand prints around the door area where miners grabbed the door opening as they entered and left the cars.

I have still been unable to find a photo of any of the EM Baldwin, Titan or Gemco Aussie-built battery man cars. One of the Gemco battery-electric mancars ws still in service when Huntley closed and the equipment was auctioned in the ealy 1990's. I would be surpised if Atlas, Jeffrey and other similar US firms did not make similar battery-electric mancars, but so far I have not been able to find any photos of them in use either.
I hope that this helps.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:15 am

John,

A thousand thanks. What a great posting especially the captions which answered all my questions. I was trying to figure out what the bollard like structures were - sanders :oops:

I have been searching the net for pictures of self-propelled mancars without success but I think you have given me enough to make a start on an 'inspired by' model.

Can any of our German members tell me what the German name for one of these self-propelled mine personnel transports would be.

I did find the picture I was looking for after reading your posting on braking with your cardboard manrider that I thought was an Aussie mancar partially launched into space but it turned out to be a mine shuttle that over shot the end of line an pushed through the gantry wall and ended up with the drivers cab hanging in space. It was in Light Railways Jun 1999 right beside my Letter-to-the-Editor on Feldbahn in Samoa :o
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Christoph
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways , sailing , music

Postby Christoph » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:26 am

Hi Paul,

I tried "Grubentriebwagen" and found this link:
http://www.rail.lu/materiel/secm1136.html

Christoph

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Oztrainz » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:19 pm

Thanks Christoph for reminiding me about this site that is a goldmine for undergound and industrial railways and what ran on them.

Paul check out
http://www.industrie.lu/arbedmines.html
for the U28 at the top of the page, get rid of the pantograph, replace the electrics cabinet over the wheels with a storage battery and extend each cab to take 2 or more occupants - BINGO!!!! It might not be as flash as the one Christoph has found in the previuos nessage
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:48 pm

Of course, at the other end of the scale, there is the really simple type :lol:

Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Geoffrey Tribe
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Tramways + Narrow Gauge + anything else on rails

Mine Manrider

Postby Geoffrey Tribe » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:51 pm

A further selection of mine pictures - this time from Estonia can be found at http://narrow.parovoz.com/emb/?ID=35. Putting the URL in Altavista gives a translation of the text :D but to open the full size images I had to work from the Russian page :evil:.
Geoffrey Tribe

Christoph
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Christoph » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:38 pm

Wonderfull Side Geoffrey :!:
especially the rusty double-decker :wink:

Christoph

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:10 pm

Geoffrey, thanks for the link there are some great pictures.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:39 am

Christoph wrote:Wonderfull Side Geoffrey :!:
especially the rusty double-decker :wink:

Christoph

I to was very taken by that picture and have saved it but I can see a problem at the tunnel mouth :wink: :wink:
Last edited by DCRfan on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Oztrainz » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:26 am

Hi all, I suggest that we all get our eyes checked :lol: , it is not a double-decker transport car, but 2 single-decker cars very neatly stacked, check out the wheels on the top one - hard to see but they are there.

As Paul says - It's only a problem at the tunnel mouth :twisted:
If the driver is any good, he should be able to get the bottom car out of the way quick enough so that the former top car lands correctly on the tracks and can successfully complete its journey underground :wink:
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:44 am

John,

I'm sure Christoph realised it was a stack-up, we just jokingly referred to it a double decker. Foremen on top, miners below :lol:
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:06 am

On the double decker mine car :) I love the rust and the lettering which just shows through the rust :!: Great picture .

To get the peeling effect I think I would have to use a rubber based resist to show the underneath colour and leave a curly edge.

More games to play :!: :!:

Ralph

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:17 am

Paul

Gnu Zealand

Christoph
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Christoph » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:31 am

Yes it is :!:
But what did you prepare for this word :?: :roll:
TAXIMINE

Christoph

Les
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway and warship modelling, gardening DIY, history

Postby Les » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:00 pm

Here are a couple of photos of the manrider at Amberley museum

Les

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:24 pm

No expense spared for comfort :lol: :lol: The engineer must have had a Mechano set as a kid.
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Return to “Modelling Matters”