(F) The Sand Hutton Light Railway

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

JAK
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Sand Hutton Light Railway

(F) The Sand Hutton Light Railway

Postby JAK » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Excuse my intrusion but I am hoping that you can help me with some research I am doing for a friend who lives near Warthill. His community has recently started a Local History Group and he has volunteered to research the Sand Hutton Light Railway. We have a copy of KE Hartley’s book and a visit to the York reference library has been made. The National Railway archives in York and Darlington are both unfortunately currently closed until sometime in the middle of next year.

I have offered to do some internet research but am having trouble finding much information. I do however seem to keep coming back to your forum, having found from it Ron Evers interesting slide show of period and 1970’s pictures and also your member David Nix’s visit to the site this year.

A number of your topics have comments about this railway and I was hoping that some of you might have information and/or pictures that you would be willing to share.

At present we have, in addition to the above book, copies of all “The Railway Magazine” articles on the railway, so anything additional, or a link to an internet site, would be appreciated.

You have also commented on a model railway layout “Sand Hutton Central - by Peter Kazer". I have informed him that it will be at the Narrow Guage North exhibition in Leeds in March 2008, which he hopes to visit, but I can find no other details or pictures of the layout on the internet. If you could direct me toward such sites, if there are any, or provide copies, or details, of the articles in the Model Railway Journal, Nos. 168 and 169 we’d be grateful.

Details/copies of any other Sand Hutton based magazine articles or layouts would also be appreciated.

(I know these magazines are still available as back copies but the History Group has just started and so has little funds to spare, particularly on such a small event in 2000 years of village life. Also one of your members says they were disappointed in another magazine article on the SHLR, so they really cannot afford to buy sight unseen).

Many Thanks for any help you can give.
JAK

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:10 pm

Jak there are other references in the following;

Narrow Gauge Railways by Humphrey Household (Chap 5 around 20 pages) easily obtainable book.

The Narrow Gauge in Britain by Cliff Thomas - barely a page!

An Illustrated History of 18" Gauge Steam Railways by Mark Smithers - 11 pages and other references, great reference book but difficult to find and expensive.

Though I have all these and Hartley's book I'm not sufficiently interested to know whether anything is contained therein that's not in the Hartley Tome.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

John New
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: railways large and small.

Postby John New » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:05 am

I also have an interest in the Sand Hutton Railway. One book not mentioned above with a section and pictures covering the SHLR is a Dalesman publication from 1979. "Railway Byways in Yorkshire" by Ronald Nelson Redman.

It is a while since I read the text but I don't think it contains anything that isn't in the Ken Hartley book (My copy = 1982 Edition published by NGRS).

It also has six photos. One of those shows Synolda outside the original Garden Station/coach shed and that isn't in the 1982 NGRS version of Hartley's book. One of the others showing the 18" line has a less tight crop than in the 1982 book but no significant differences. The only reason I mention that is that neither crop may be the full frame of the original image.

Finally in the 1979 book the photo caption to Sir Robert with his first wife (Synolda) and two other ladies attributes the central lady as Synolda. However the 1982 book caption for the same photo states she is unidentified.

I will be interested to know more about the new book on the SHLR as when it comes out it will be on my wanted list.
John
http://www.stephensonloco.org.uk | http://www.yorkshow.org.uk | http://www.island-publishing.co.uk

Remembering it’s a hobby and I am allowed to smile!

JAK
'boxer
'boxer

Postby JAK » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:19 pm

Many thanks for your comments. I’ve added some books to my list at the local library that they are trying to get for me, unfortunately they have currently lost their copy of Humphrey Household’s book – the NRM say they have a copy in their archives when they reopen.

We have 15 period pictures of the original miniature line and 41 of the true SHLR. Most have been scans or photos from books and magazines so that the quality is not so good (using a digital system that uses dots to copy a picture printed in dots doesn’t give the best results).

John New – we have two pictures taken outside the Garden Station, the non-Hartley book one has Synolda and open 4 wheelers on the far track and the so called “Glass Coach” just emerging from the shed on the near track.

I’ve also seen the different comments about Lady Walker in that photo – but the copies I’ve seen are so bad I don’t think even Sir Robert would have been able to recognise which she was!

Still like to have details on Peter Kazer’s layout – from the single photo I’ve found on the internet it seems to be highly detailed model.
JAK

John New
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: railways large and small.

Postby John New » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:17 pm

If you haven't got access to the original photo print there is not much in the image quality but the one of the three ladies in the Dalesman book looks to be a marginally sharper scan/print than the one in the NGRS book despite the better paper quaity of the latter.

the non-Hartley book one has Synolda and open 4 wheelers on the far track and the so called “Glass Coach” just emerging from the shed on the near track.

Synolda at the coach shed - I think it is the same photo you mention JAK.
Last edited by John New on Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
http://www.stephensonloco.org.uk | http://www.yorkshow.org.uk | http://www.island-publishing.co.uk

Remembering it’s a hobby and I am allowed to smile!

Coo
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: G,Gn15,Gnine,Monorail

Postby Coo » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:14 am

One place that may provide some information is the North Yorkshire County Archive, Malpas Road, Northallerton.

Some time ago I did go there to see if there was any info on the Sand Hutton Estate and the quarry railway at Kepwick (which from the quality of the remaining stonework was obviously estate owned). AFAIK the National Railway Museum at York has no information on the latter railway.

However, it became quickly obvious that as I was not one of the regular in-crowd, researching family history, my presence was not welcome either by the staff or the inmates.

The attitudes may have changed since. Sometime in 2008 I will no doubt find out as I intend to return and this time stay until I get co-operation.

If you wish to pursue this possible source of info, I will be going past later today and will get the full address and telephone number.
Chris

JAK
'boxer
'boxer

Postby JAK » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:13 am

Hi Chris

Thanks - the information would be appreciated.

We understand that NYCC do have a copy of "Sand Hutton Light Railway Plan; 1919 Line from Parish of Sand Hutton to Scrayingham. Engineer: J. Triffit." somewhere.

As far as I know the History Group's activities and finances haven't been planned for the forthcoming year so we will be putting a visit to Northallerton and Darlington into the pot.
JAK

Coo
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: G,Gn15,Gnine,Monorail

Postby Coo » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:52 pm

Here is the info on the North Yorks County Records Office:

Malpas Road
Northallerton
Telephone 01609 777585

Opening Hours
Monday to Thursday 0900 - 1645
Friday 0900 - 1615
Also on Wednesday by Appointment 1700 - 2045

There is also one other possibility although I have not used them for research into railways (only electronics).

National Lending Library for Science & Technology at Boston Spa. I am presuming their Reading Room is still open.

AH, I have found the web site http://www.bl.uk

From the blurb on the site
In 1985, the title was changed to the British Library Document Supply Centre to reflect the changing emphasis of document supply in which a greater proportion of requests were for copies of articles rather than loans. The stock has grown over the years and now contains over 260,000 journal titles, over 3 million books, almost 500,000 conference proceedings and almost 5 million reports, mostly of a scientific nature.

Articles in Journals can be surprisingly informative but in my experience finding the information motherlode on any particular subject requires a great deal of time and luck.........Much like the internet.
Chris

Return to “Prototype Prattles”