Trevor's 2008 challenge layout

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

joe gilmartin
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: railroads fishing hunting austin healys

Postby joe gilmartin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:55 pm

Trevor....

Outstanding work especially for being done in a hotel room
great painting also
I can never get much modeling work done whilst on location
(long hours ,open bars and whatnot)
did they check the desk top before you left , little nicks and
such :lol:

again wonderful job

cheers
JH Gilmartin
JH Gilmartin

Sole owner/operator
Moskito Coast Transfer Line

MT Hopper
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 18" and 20"gauge RR

Postby MT Hopper » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:10 am

That's looking quite promising Trevor. By the way I recall when you advised me, "..next thing you know we'll have you modelling in G".
You were right.
Cheers from the Heart of the Continent
Will
Cheers from the Heart of the Continent
Will

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:17 pm

First thing to understand, my 'Challenge' layout will NOT be finnished in 2008, :oops: (in fact apart from stock and track nothing else has been done :o )
Any way I have been invited to display the layout / demonstration of large scale-minimum gauge modelling at Clevedon (Somerset UK) on the March 28 & 29 March 2009. :D
So a quick rumage in the 0e stock box found a magic Train diesel loco, which I have made a new body for. The Original body has been carefully removed. The new one from styrene sheet has been built a a 'snug' fit over the original footplate. Now all it needs is a trip in front of the spray can in the morning, some detailing, a cab (weather / rain shelter) and weathering. Comments as usual, alway welcome.

Image Image

The figure in the background is one of these two. 'Vera' is being "Africanised", The chap is a dead ringer for a Dutch 'ex-pat' I met in Uganda. Just need to get his arms the same sort of rusty colour mine have gone :shock: :!:

Both these figures have had some serious surgery as both topped out at over 7 feet (2.1m) Tall.
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Trevor Coburn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:18 pm

A bit to cold to get a coat of paint today (always spray in the garden after a couple of disasters when spraying inside :oops: ) So the loco got a roof. Corregated from a usefull box of chocolate (last Xmas's :shock: ) Scale 3 inch corner posts, so this should keep the tropical rain off the driver. The radiator grill, Lights and paint will have to wait till my next trip "home" :cry: .......................Although should I call the appartment in Nigeria "Home" as I spent 42 of the last 52 weeks there? :x

Trevor

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Trevor Coburn » Fri May 08, 2009 8:06 am

Well it hardly seems like 14 months since I last posted a copy of Uncle Dick’s letter. (But how time flies when one is “enjoying” life! :roll: I am writing this while waiting for the first leg of my flight home, a “Red eye” flight. So follows an extract from another of Uncle Dick’s letters. (Believe it or not the post is so bad here that a letter from Switzerland to Nigeria took 3 years to arrive. :twisted: )

“………amongst my other finds (having given up on the Atlas air loco as the motor is seized solid.) using my trusty machete I have found the remains of what looks to be a Kerr-Stuart outside frame 500mm gauge Wren. Senior management have agreed that I (with the help of the indigenous work force) can fix this up as a “gate sentinel” in my spare time. Which as you might have guessed is limited. Problem is we cant find the boiler…………… local rumour has it that it was dragged away to make some form of illicit still. So it is going to be “fun” finding that. Or (more likely) I will put the trainees to work building a replica, good practical practice for them, (???) …………”.

Unfortunately the rest of Uncle Dicks’ letter has been eaten by insects………….
There will be more (unless some one tells me to “shut-the-****-up”) extracts when I “find” them :shock:
Trevor

Geno6309
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: NG,Sports Cars,Anything with 'fiddly bits' inside

Postby Geno6309 » Fri May 08, 2009 4:23 pm

Trevor
Continue looking for the letters. This kind of thing sould not be lost. The little known history of our rairoads will be invaluable to the historians of the next generation. :roll: :wink:
"I'm not building a model of a railroad. I'm building a caricature of one." Bill Livingston, Venango Valley RR, RMC 1971
Words to live by.
Gene Walker
www.fcdetc.blogspot.com

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Trevor Coburn » Sat May 16, 2009 11:53 am

Well I have managed to get a few days at "home" so gave the latest loco (the one I started at Christmas) some couplers, radiator grill, although this is supposed to have mesh on it, just cant find that at the moment :oops: , it's someware 'safe' Still got to finnish the weathering, cab details, gear shift, direction lever & clutch and some crew.

Thinking about it I need to fit headlights (dont forget in the area the layout is supossed to be in is dark 12 hours a day). So thats a job for tonight (if I cant sleep again :twisted: )
I have just noticed that the drivers seat (the red disc) isnt very clear. Also the pics show to many "white" (unpainted) bits :oops:
Trevor

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Trevor Coburn » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:11 pm

Several more months (four :oops: :oops: :oops: ) have gone by, since I last wrote. Modeling has also taken a bit of a back-seat as well, when I have had the time, the mood has not been there, but I guess we all go through that at times :?:
Work is at a bit of a hiatus as I am waiting for several containers to arrive from the docks, (could be days-weeks or even months!), and best guess is they will arrive on the days when we get several hours of torrential rain. I also hope they stay on the trucks, there have been several containers fall off or tip over in the last few weeks. So here’s another extract from one of Uncle Dicks’ letters
“……………..found the boiler, several kilometres away deep in the bush. I had to bribe the local village chief to take it away, that being the order of life here, nothing-for-nothing. It was well rusted (as is only to be expected) but enough left for us to back engineer a new one. We have also made a new water (saddle) tank. Amongst the other finds in the bush were the driving wheels, but the axles seem to have gone missing, still temporarily they are mounted on some bamboo poles………….. Now comes the task of putting it all together…………….We are going to have to build some form of lifting frame………….use of a crane is out of the question on cost grounds, probably build something out of bamboo poles, that seems like the only option at the moment. Just hope the rains hold of………………..Now just need to find the chimney and dome, at least them it will look like a loco.

I will post some pictures when the web is fast enough to upload!
Trevor

elcamo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: gn15, garden railroading,aquariums and paludariums

Postby elcamo » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:08 am

im liking the loco! :D how did you make the roof, and what is it made of?

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Trevor Coburn » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:31 am

The roof is made from the corregated cardboard sheath from an airport coffee cup! (usefull source of crorregated card, wooden coffee stirers )
Trevor

rockershovel
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow gauge industrial railways

Postby rockershovel » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:12 pm

I haven't heard the expression 'Jackers Journal' in years... I had a fairly hideous time of it during the early-90s recession and decided I would never again rely on civil engineering for my primary income, and I never have since.

I'd be curious how you get on in Nigeria. Most blokes I know offshore will no longer go there, along with Yemen, Sudan and a few other areas of ill repute. South Africa seems to have gone markedly downhill since my days in Welkom in the mid-70s, the West Africa offshore trade is full of white ex-pats who are now resident in Namibia, Mozambique, Congo or Ghana
rambling miner

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Trevor Coburn » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:48 pm

Damn I knew sooner or later some one would remember the name. :oops: (The editor who I new owned a steam roller and was also a fellow volunteer at Lieghton Buzzard) I left the industry in the early '70's (Used to work for a piling company). Then joined a distributor for a diesel engine manufacture for the next 3 decades. But after the last "take-over" it was decided that I was expendable, so then moved to the current firm which is a medium sized player in the geen energy market. Were I am in Nigeria is tolably safe... and not working for an oil company helps. I did go to one of the camps on the delta, there was more security than in some "sensitive" installations in the UK. I have had no problems in Sudan, Kurdistan though in Bangladesh it got a bit heated as the owner of the company wasnt going to let come home because I rejected his warranty claim.
Now I am quite happy building small (5 -20Mw) natural gas powered plants. Working with and training the indeginious workforce, can be rewarding. (and frustrating)
Trevor

rockershovel
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow gauge industrial railways

Postby rockershovel » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:10 pm

that's about what I had heard, that Nigeria is not really any worse than most places in W Africa provided you avoid Rivers Province, Lagos, Port Harcourt and a few other places. Customs/Immigration has a very poor reputation.

Total made a serious gaffe a little while ago, paying a ransom within days and now of course it is a serious problem; even for local staff who were not formerly targets.

I certainly wouldn't go to DRC ( Zaire as was ), and if you go to Nigeria with an oil company you tend to end up somewhere undesirable.

seeing you come from Somerset, I've just had 15 months in North Somerset, on the Combe Down mine infilling project, very interesting work.
rambling miner

Return to “Modelling Matters”