Tinkering with a Lister - Now Painted!

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Tinkering with a Lister - Now Painted!

Postby Colin Peake » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:31 pm

Another revived project from my season of finishing the unfinished. Some may remember my original thread here... sorry the pictures have vanished, but basically it got this far before I gave up:

A couple of weeks ago the 1/24th Lister made it back to the workbench and I gave it a look over to see what needed doing. At some point I had narrowed the frames slightly and the couplings looked a little un-Lister like. These were removed and replaced with new scratchbuilt items.

I decided to make the body from a tripple layer of 20 thou plasticard, this would have strength through thickness and the tripple layer would hopefully prevent warping. The 20 thou thickness could be used to effect around window, grille and door openings. The added bonus is that all the inner layers are actually recycled from supermarket ice cream carton lids! Working from the drawings by Roy C Link in the Railway Modeller, I produced the outer layers first:

Inner layers were stepped to allow easy joining at the corners:

The body went together easily, with triangular fillets in the corners of the bonnet and cab roofs:

Fitted to the chassis, which shows off it's new coupler pockets and ballast weights:

The cab roof and bonnet top have now been fitted, along with edging and the distintive front panel to the bonnet top. All corners have been filled and smoothed and generally the body is ready forr finer detailing:

I'll update this thread as the project develops. Sorry some of the pictures a bit murky, I'm still getting used to a new camera :D

Colin
Last edited by Colin Peake on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Dave Westall
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: NG Railways, Pre-1968 BR (LMR)

Postby Dave Westall » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:00 pm

Up to your usual high standards Colin, I look forward to the next installment. :D

Dave
May your wheels never rust.

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:04 pm

Great restart Colin. 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:33 pm

Those leaves are great, Colin, really effective 8)

Always been impressed by the cleanliness of your styrene builds, I like the bonnet shape on this one. Also seems a bit 'Winky'-esque to me, might me the cab proportions?

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:52 pm

Simply gorgeous!
Doc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Carlo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: figures, microlayouts

Postby Carlo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:02 am

Colin -
Beautiful workmanship!
Can I ask if you have a prototype photo/plan link to share? Also, how did you add the raised window trim strips?
Carlo

Daryl
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: new to Gn15 medium to On30

Postby Daryl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:37 am

looks great :D :D I would be interested in drawings my self :)
Daryl Barter from the wet coast I've seen adults and I don't want to be one!!

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:22 am

Looks great so far Colin from previous builds you done can only get better. 8)
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:49 am

First class workmanship as always Colin, good to see you go public with it :wink: .
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:34 pm

Carlo wrote:Colin -
Beautiful workmanship!
Can I ask if you have a prototype photo/plan link to share? Also, how did you add the raised window trim strips?
Carlo

Many thanks Carlo. The drawing is from the October 1978 issue of the 'Railway Modeller' here in the UK and I'm afraid I can't reproduce it here due to copyright restrictions.

There are photos of a similar loco here on the Gnatterbox: http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=3022 - this is a cabless version, although the cabs do seem to be detachable for transit. There is a picture of a rather battered example here: http://www.narrow-gauge.co.uk/gallery/s ... &cat_id=37 - I think the banding around the cab top is a later addition. I think both of these are the RM2 model, they have straight sided axlebox supports, whereas the drawing represents a RM3 model, which seems to have slope-sided ones. Whether this is a hard and fast rule I do not know!

The window surrounds were made using my usual method of softening (with solvent) 30 x 10 thou styrene strip and cementing this around the inside of the window opening. I then added two strips of 10 x 10 thou around the outside of this to make the frame 30 thou around. It might have been easier to cut out a panel of 10 thou sheet the size/shape of outer window frame, cementing that in place and cutting out the opening once set...

Thanks to everyone for their comments!

Colin
Colin Peake

Les
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway and warship modelling, gardening DIY, history

Postby Les » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:48 pm

Beautiful crisp workmanship Colin. You have really done the Lister Blackstone justice. Look forward to seeing the next installment.
Les

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:47 pm

Looks great Colin. Will there be a layout or micro to follow?

Simon.

marc_reusser
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Industrial NG of all scales and gauges

Postby marc_reusser » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:15 pm

Colin,

I can only echo everyone elses comments. Just wonderful. I really like the base also....simple but nice character.

Marc

David Nix
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Computing, Caravanning

Postby David Nix » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:13 am

Hi Colin, lovely workmanship as usual :D
It's great to see the Lister making progress. It certainly whets my appetite for a Lister, mine has made no progress, and it's not likely to for some time as I've become chairman of the local Residents Association and also two days a week voluntary work. Some of us are gluttons for punishment! :shock:
David

A Gnother Gnotts Gn15 Gnutter

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:48 am

Good to hear from you David, sounds like you are keeping yourself busy. It's hard to imagine it was three and a half years ago I showed the Lister frame to the Gnotters, how time flies :(

Simon, I think a micro layout may appear at some point, but what it will be is unknown, industrial schemes don't come obviously to me! At present rate of progress... don't hold your breath!

Colin
Colin Peake

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:59 am

I like the chunky feel. Looking forward to further updates.
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:22 pm

rough and shabby workmanship as ever! :wink:

Looks great Colin..

Three and half years ago??? That can't be right surely? :shock:
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:28 am

Playing with glue again Colin :twisted:
Very nice build there.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

GUTMACH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: narrow gauge, machining, Gn15, machining, err....

Postby GUTMACH » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:14 am

Great fabrication job, Colin.

I would like to know how you get the edges and curves so nice and smooth ?

No matter how I tried, my stuff still looks like a stone axe job ! :roll:

Wayde

fognozz
'boxer
'boxer

Postby fognozz » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:34 pm

Came across this plan posted on the web, don't know if there are copyright issues:

http://www.michaeladams.org/trains/lister/plan.pdf

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:52 pm

Well that would be the plan in question :wink:

I'm now slowly detailing the loco, the ballast weights, axle boxes and cab interior are all now detailed about as much as they will be, I need to move on to the body to add bolt heads, beading etc. Those clips on the front of the bonnet should be fun too :roll:

I will hopefully have the loco with me at NG North on Saturday, so anyone who knows me is welcome to have a look. More photos soon...

Colin
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:19 pm

Sorry for the delay posting more pictures, lots of little bits of work going on but I've not had the right conditions for photography. However, it has given me time to master the settings on my new camera....

Detail around the coupling unit and ballast weight. Boltheads are slices of Plastruct hex rod.

LISTER lettering is Slaters 1.5mm letters (thanks Dad!) whilst the axleboxes are, after much thought, hair-pulling, and trial, from the Knightwing 4mm scale Deutz diesel loco kit, carefully cut from the sideframes and shaped. Better than anything I could make myself! I did however add the oiling points from plastic rod.

Much of the recent work has been in the cab interior, adding the gearbox, clutch, gear lever, seat etc All made from plastic sheet, strip and section wih a sliver of brass tube and a dressmaking pin (thanks Mum!)

The other side of the cab. Pedal is from brass strip and plastic, with the foot rest from plastic section. The brake column is a Sidelines casting with a new base.

Our driver. As Brian found with his kit Lister, I had to get the driver to rest his foot on the pedal. The body and limbs are from the Italari 1/24th truck pack whilt the head is a Preiser one from a pack of seated figures. Much Milliput and filler later he sits comfortably in the cab.

Progress so far. All the body detailing is still to be done, more bolt heads and those catches on the bonnet front.

Colin
Colin Peake

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:54 pm

I can see you are really letting your standards slip !

Seriously, love the detail you are adding - I will enjoy just browsing these photos for a while just to spot and admire each individual bit of work
Gordon F

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:37 pm

Somehow I missed seeing the cupholder and DVD player.

Amazing what them young bucks can do with parts purloined from parents. :D
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:31 pm

Wonderful Colin and the new camera is giving great results, wonderful clarity. Having been fortunate to see this for real the other week, I can tell everybody that the quality is as good as it looks in the pics, I'm not going to spare his blushes :wink: Colin is a true craftsman, might even go as far as to say, a perfectionist :) .

Just incase you are not aware, the RM3's had electric start and the space under the seat would contain a car battery for this. I'm sure you already knew that though :) had to find something that was missing in all the perfection :lol: . Good luck with the front bonnet catches, I can still remember the frustration of making them in O scale years ago, I dont think it will be any easier in the larger size, as you can see them more clearly. Have fun.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

http://www.pepper7.com

Return to “Modelling Matters”