Point Levers

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

CanveyRay
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Model Engineering, NG Industrial Locomotives and running Barking Park Light Railway.

Point Levers

Postby CanveyRay » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:23 pm

Hi again, I am about to lay some track on my proposed mine layout and wondered about point levers, I don't think I have seen many on other layouts. Is it because they were not used or just not modeled? I have a couple of old 'Turtle' slow acting point motors I intend to use and wondered about the levers - any thoughts?
Ray A.

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:54 pm

I've used Caboose Industries groundthrows - I use the O scale sprung ones and enlarge the hole so it hooks over the nipple (?!) on the Peco tiebar :)

CanveyRay
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Model Engineering, NG Industrial Locomotives and running Barking Park Light Railway.

Postby CanveyRay » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:16 pm

Thanks George, I had a peek and am just thinking that I could replace the square weight with a round one, just to anglasise it. I have a coupe of Roy C Link ones, but they look a wee bit too small.
Ray A.

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:13 pm

Yeah, that'd be easy enough I'd have thought :)

I could find a pair I have somewhere, let you know the code if you want?

cp409067
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: NG modelling

Re: Point levers

Postby cp409067 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:21 pm

Last edited by cp409067 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:13 pm

That's a good point Christopher, I hadn't thought of that. Cabooses are good for operation, but something more in the realms of what you suggested would be better for a cosmetic lever 8)

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:17 pm

Will have a dig around as I made the parts for a point lever awhile ago. If I remember rightly, I only needed to finish off the lever. If I can find the bits, I'm making moulds tonight and will give it a go.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

b1gy1n
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: gn15 traction

point levers

Postby b1gy1n » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:33 pm

ooh! cant wait to see thoose Steve,they sound too good to miss.

regards Marc.
marc

CanveyRay
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby CanveyRay » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:32 pm

Wow, can't wait! Steve your'e a star! Just come from the shed - finishing off the pump house - yes used masking tape and boy am I pleased with it! (same painting as before). Found my old Roy Link rail bender and by slackening off the the two outside screws got a radius of about 6" with code 100 rail. So am now indoors making up the bits of track I need. Taking a caffine break :D
Ray A.

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:59 pm

I've been considering point levers on my new layout as well - and came across this image which may be of interest, if you ignore the modern bits of junk lying around it provides a lot of interesting details, textures, etc.

Gordon F

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:19 pm

:shock: Thats a pretty hefty lever frame, must be standard gauge I would think :?: .

Mine wont be anywhere near as big as those :lol: . Actually, I did have a problem with size. To start off, I tried the same style of Hudson lever that Roy Link does in O scale and when put it with Peco track it looked huge. A bit of searching through the library turned up a similar style lever from Fowler (possibly Decauville) with much smaller proportions, so that formed the basis, though it is not an exact copy. I found the bits, it was the weights I needed to finish, so should get the moulds done tonight. Hopefully have something to show tomorrow.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:23 pm

CanveyRay wrote:Just come from the shed - finishing off the pump house - yes used masking tape and boy am I pleased with it! (same painting as before).

Good stuff masking tape :lol: . I have a 2" wide roll that I keep just for roofing. It is surprising, just how effective it is. Glad to hear you had better luck with it Ray.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:40 pm

OK, here we go, first snap of the Sidelines point/turnout levers. The small one on the left, is an O scale one from the Roy Link range to give a size comparison, these are about ¾ the size a scale Hudson lever would be.

As you will see, two different types of lever and weights, both sharing the same base. They can be linked to the tie bar of a turnout by a length of wire, so they move with it. It may be possible to operate the turnout with them, not tried it yet, but there is no locking mechanism, so will be most suitable for use with those that have a built in overcentre spring, like Peco.

Somewhat surprisingly, they also look fine with 9mm gauge track, for use in Gnine.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Look good, when and where can we order ? :)
Gordon F

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:OK, here we go, first snap of the Sidelines point/turnout levers. The small one on the left, is an O scale one from the Roy Link range to give a size comparison, these are about ¾ the size a scale Hudson lever would be.

As you will see, two different types of lever and weights, both sharing the same base. They can be linked to the tie bar of a turnout by a length of wire, so they move with it. It may be possible to operate the turnout with them, not tried it yet, but there is no locking mechanism, so will be most suitable for use with those that have a built in overcentre spring, like Peco.

Somewhat surprisingly, they also look fine with 9mm gauge track, for use in Gnine.

Look great Steve :D Another winner from the Sidelines stable :D :D put me down for a dozen :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:57 pm

:lol: Give me a couple of days to get some made :lol:
I do want to install one on my layout to make sure it works as it should and that there is enough travel on the lever. Shouldnt be a problem, but you dont know for sure till you try it :wink: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

b1gy1n
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: gn15 traction

Point levers

Postby b1gy1n » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:21 pm

I'll take a few Steve and try them with the points i make,then they really will look good,no what i mean.

Keep us posted on the details.

regards Marc.
marc

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:17 pm

While I have to wait for the re-landscaping and lever instalation to dry on my layout, thought I would take a pic to show how the levers look with 9mm track.

To my eye at least, I think it looks pretty good (even though the flash makes it look gray, rather than weathered black :) } with the narrower track and to a certain extent, brings home that this is very narrow gauge. Maybe thats just me seeing what I want to though :lol: will let you all judge for yourselves :wink: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Sir Briand
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Sir Briand » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:35 am

Positively brilliant Steve :shock: but I wouldn't have expected anything else now would I :?:

Must get cracking on Upton Shed so I can use some of them :lol: . Apart from that will need another layout for the TV show next year :) .
Sir BRIANd :wink:
Paint your people to look like they belong!
http://www.brifayle.ca

franckcombe
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: computer architecture train

Postby franckcombe » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:03 am

Hi,

It's an excellent idea. It's a must have. I usualy ran the peco swithch with SPDT Single Pole Double Throw switch in order to increase the quality of electrical contact. Do you know if we can use it with peco switch and spdt with your lever ? I wish to be sure that your lever is enought strong ?

regards

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:06 am

Steve, any chance of a person in the pic next to the Gnine stuff?

I must admit it looks a bit big to me, but then I've never seen Gnine stuff in the flesh so I'm having trouble imagining (I think I'm thinking of the Gnine as Gn15 :) ).

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:25 am

franckcombe wrote:HiDo you know if we can use it with peco switch and spdt with your lever ? I wish to be sure that your lever is enought strong ?

Hi Franck. I'm not sure it would be strong enough to operate a SPDT switch aswell. The base would be fine, but the lever may not be strong enough, it has a similar strength to styrene to give you an idea. A lot would depend on the SPDT switch, in my experience, some move easily, but others can be quite stiff to operate.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:51 am

I'm fairly sure that it would be possible to actually use the point lever itself as a SPDT switch if you're willing to attach some copper to the right places.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:15 am

dr5euss wrote:Steve, any chance of a person in the pic next to the Gnine stuff?

No problem, I should have done that in the first pic :roll: . Here you go with a figure and Jim Snee's little speeder kit, should give a better idea of size.

Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:35 am

I took a few pics while installing on my layout which might be helpful to others.

Although I did have extended sleepers/ties in place which carried a cosmetic lever, sods law, they were not long enough for the new one :roll: . So I had to dig them out, along with a bit of the scenery to fit new ones in. This first pic also shows a piece of wire bent up to act as the linkage to the tie bar of the turnout.

Second pic with the lever in position and the linkage connected to the turnout. Just incase you dont recognise it, this is a Peco On30 turnout. The nipple on the end of the tiebar has been cut off and a 1mm hole drilled in it's place, so the wire linkage to the lever can drop into it.

Finally, the installation complete, though the scenery is not fully dry yet. Once it has dried out and possibly a little blending in with the airbrush, I hope that it wont be possible to tell that it has been disturbed, though of course, it would be quite prototypical if it was noticeable :) .

Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Return to “Modelling Matters”