A slightly bigger G9 layout

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

Jes
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Anything rusty that creeps on grassy tracks :)

A slightly bigger G9 layout

Postby Jes » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:05 pm

Sometimes....
Things just seem to fall into place. I have been working on a small N scale tram layout for the past months (read about it on my n tram blog), but have gotten quite unhappy with it recently as most of my trams won't make it through 103mm radius curves. Plans have slowly started to evolve to build a new tram layout, a long, thin one this time. So there was a little layout laying around i've been reluctant to continue working on.

Now, I was just going through some earlier projects (some finished, most not) and found my little G9 pizza 'Vern's Ferns', which was a joy to build but not that interesting to operate when it was done. And then suddenly it happened:

What if...

The perfect base for a new G9 project! (I think I'll cheat a little and use Vern's barn, he won't mind :P ) Now I just have to find a nice prototype. Will it be a German coastal railway, a little peat railway, maybe a lavender railway, or... Any ideas (the more unusual, the better!) are welcome.

And there's a little problem to solve. The Kato chassis I used under my G9 stock doesn't like the Tomix mini turnouts, despite added weight. Any ideas how to solve this would be really appreciated.

Now if you don't mind, I have some minimum gauge dreaming to do :D
Last edited by Jes on Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jesse
ntramblog

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15

Postby Charlie Stewart » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:33 pm

wheeeayy Jes, nice start.. hahahahahaha .. looking forward to another of your "mini-adventures"...

good luck!!!!

Charlie
My YouTube videos

light travels faster than sound... thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth!!!

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

Postby Moronguhl » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:03 pm

Looks awesome Jes - good luck with this one!

I take it you're planning to bury the track at least to the rail due to the sleepers being at the wrong scale? If so maybe you could try something as bit more industrial to contrast with Vern's Ferns? It would probably mean you couldn't use the barn though, but I quite like the idea of modelling the inside of a building, with the track going 'off-stage' to the outside of the building (parking lot/deliver bay).

How about modelling the inside of a warehouse that makes garden furniture - then you could still fit the barn in as a made up example of the companies stock?! :D

Just my two cents!
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

Postby Moronguhl » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Hey Jes - have you got any further with this?
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

Matthi205
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: H0(on the floor),Gn15

Postby Matthi205 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:14 pm

I would recommend the North Borneo RR (NBR) as a Prototype,even though I don't know which trains they ran. :wink:
Electric Devices have 3 statuses:On,Off and broke.Image

Jes
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jes » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:54 am

Hi All,
I've been suffering from a bit of a builder's block recently so no real developments to report. There aren't a lot of protoypes around that use such a narrow gauge, have a track plan that looks a little like my layout and actually make any sense :wink: So still waiting for a little inspiration...

I do like Christians idea of a stage-like design somewhere inside a building, but I'd prefer to keep the ballasted track like it is now (which really narrows the possible prototype to a miniature railway really...).

Then there's the problem with my 2 axle Kato chassis which doesn't like the turnouts. But I just might go for a completely new loco. I have a 4 axle shorty chassis that make a nice little G9 battery or diesel loco. Ideas, anyone?
-Jesse

ntramblog

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:55 pm

Jes,

Although originally done in Gn15 why not a tiny industrial concern like Ian Holmes Purespring Watercress? i.e. any excuse for goods to go in and out is a good one in my book.

http://www.iholmes.com/pages/purespring/purespring.html

and

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5188

then it's just a question of where to put buildings (to go in and out of) and walls/fences as sight blockers. Getting hold of some empty cereal packets to quickly mock up stuff is always good, especially if you try imagining any of the four sides could be the front.

cheers

Jes
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jes » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:36 am

Thanks for the tip Chris! I think Puresprings is a great layout, and I love the prototype as well (remember to have seen some colour footage of it once). I'll see how that idea works in G9, thanks!

I also came across the Gaslight trolley from Roll models inc. Link to an image of the trolley: http://www.rmirailworks.com/Images/5x7/Gaslight_5x7.gif. I think it might make a nice model in G9 as well (and I can use my Kato chassis!). Perhaps a tiny tram network? :D
-Jesse

ntramblog

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi Jes,

Though I model in lager scale (1/12), I have the same issues concerning a believable prototype for an industrial themed 7 1/4 gauge prattle. I go along the lines of concept as apposed to out and out reality. Agriculture works well, or maybe an internal factory line. Another idea is a recycling plant of sorts. Just some thoughts :)
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

ian holmes
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, photography and maintaining my Englishness living in America

Postby ian holmes » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:41 pm

There's always this idea I came up with a while ago
http://www.iholmes.com/pages/journal/planning_02.html

Though designed for Gn15 as a concept for a9" or so line is quite solid I think

Ian
Model railway psychic nutjob
Ian's Gn15 pages at http://www.iholmes.com
Try something different http://gnine.info

Return to “GNine”