Tipcars!

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: old technology and small railways, with new technology tossed in.

Tipcars!

Postby JeffSaxton » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Hello, All; and a very bright New Year's to you all!

I've been digging in my archives, and found the images of Gn15 tipcars I had built way back in the 2001 or 2002 era. I have about ten of these little cuties finished, one being "braked" with appropriate parts.

The frame was laser cut from 3/16" thick acrylic, and the tip supports are lasered from 1/8" material. The bin is a modified Lionel part (or is it Marx?), shortened in length and made more accurate looking with new tip pivots. I will eventually cast these in resin, as I had a finite supply of the original plastic parts to cut up.

Axleboxes are whitel metal, and wheelsets are "S" gauge parts, regauged to HO, as made by 'American Models' or 'S Helper Service'. Coupling is via a bent pin on one end, and a permanently fixed link in a ring on the other, so they are one-directional in use, which likely won't be a problem. The frame cross-stretcher is styrene channel, and there are a number of 'Grandt Line' plastic rivets added at strategic points on frame, uprights, and bin. A later addition, after the photos were shot, was a length of styrene long-ways, to act as a continuous buffer beam.

This image shows an experimental laser cut axle box, which I felt lacked enough detail, but once painted, they looked fine.

Eventually I hope to finish many more of these, even if Sir Arthur disliked tippers, I simply can't get enough of them.
Jeff Saxton
I'm spending the year dead for tax purposes!

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby JeffSaxton » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:37 pm

And here are some current photos of the "braked" tipper, as well as one using an LGB "Gnomy" tipcar bin -- in case I never get around to resin-casting my own bins. The "braked" unit has the laser cut axleboxes mentioned above, a brass On30 brake beam and shoes, and a laser cut brake stand.

The Gnomy tip was modified to use the same uprights and pivots as the other cars. This was long before the LGB bankruptcy, and the subsequent problem that Gnomy's became hard to find -- luckily I had stocked up!

Jeff Saxton

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:00 pm

WOW :shock:

What a great job you have done!
A train load of them is going to look great!

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:00 pm

Jeff the laser cut plex looks to be about 1/4 inch? the finish looks good on the cut surface, is it expensive to get done, I am so used to fretting stuff out with a jewelers saw. I had not considered laser cutting plex.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby JeffSaxton » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:32 pm

@Michael; the frame material is 3/16" plexiglas, which could vary quite a bit, but I usually tried to choose stuff that was at or under 3/16" thick.

I honestly cannot accurately say what the laser cutting costs in plexiglas any more, as I left that firm in 2004 -- and at that time, it was essentially free to employees if you did it on your own time and used scrap materials.(a very lax company, BTW, we had all been freinds and had known each other for 20+ years).

Last Spring, which was the last time I had them cut some 1/16" plywood for me, it was billed at roughly one US dollar per minute -- and memory has failed how long it took to cut these underframes ... maybe three or four minutes?

The lasers they have in use are able to be pulsed very tightly, giving one the polished effect on the edges if one chooses. The code was approximate to one pulse per every .010"; but you could ramp it up to a tighter pulse (up to every .001") if you wanted.
Jeff Saxton

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:50 pm

The tippers look very good. The ingenuity of modellers never ceases to amaze me.

Simon.

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:09 am

Great job,love those tippers.Stocked up on quite a few( 15) Fleischman tippers but like the finish with your tipping braces better.

Cheers
Chris :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

joe gilmartin
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: railroads fishing hunting austin healys

Postby joe gilmartin » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:38 pm

Long Ago and Far Away ..............(StLouis i think)

I managed to get a hold of some of these " gems"

Combined with some of Mr Bennett's parts and some styrene
and Voila.......Tippers

Thanks Jeff .........
Gems..... A gem mine....... little tippers...... filled with gems........small loco's pulling gem trains ....guards....bandito's..

Got to find plaster for a mountain............

(thanks also to my friend Jim Favre for the idea)

Cheers
JH Gilmartin

Sole owner/operator
Moskito Coast Transfer Line

Return to “Modelling Matters”