Smallest radius for a Hornby Smokey Joe ?

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nobody
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: You can built what you want in Gn15!

Smallest radius for a Hornby Smokey Joe ?

Postby Nobody » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:36 pm

Does anyone know the smallest radius that I can use with a H0 Hornby "Smokey Joe" chassis ?
A few Gn15 Smallbrook locos run on this chassis.
Thanks by advance for your answers.

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:11 pm

I'm afraid I can't answer your question directly but I think the main problem will be with couplings as the overhangs front and back are about 30mm. Wheelbase is 35mm.

Cheers
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

Nobody
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Nobody » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:29 pm

Thanks for your answer. It's very helpful.
Great loco !

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:36 pm

If you hand lay the track and use a bit of gauge widening you can get them round 4 inch radius curves, though 6 inch radius gives a more usable coupler swing.

We used to have a On16.5 quarry layout with these sort of curves and they would go round quite happily.

We ended up using Kadee 5 couplings as they seemed to have about the most sideways movement.

Flexi-track tends to go tight to gauge on very sharp curves, so if you use this it will be a magnitude higher.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:55 am

I echo what Tom says about gauge widening. Even Fleischmann increased gauge on the industrial radius track(approx 10in radius), gauge is nearer to 17mm. I have found that using flexi track of same radius creates more friction , as gauge is reduced.
On the other hand need to test wagons as widening gauge can cause problems with some, and then there are couplings, my preference being continental type as more side way play.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:52 am

I've found that the problem of the gauge narrowing slightly when flexi-track is bent to a small radius can be alleviated to some extent by rubbing a graphite stick on the inside edge of the outer rail. It also helps with electrical pick-up!
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:41 am

the graphite will counteract the friction.
With the Smoky Joe Joe Joe the flanges are quite deep and therefore in effect increase diameter of wheels and this can limit sharpness of radius. As I said you need to try out all locos and stock you plan to run. Long wheelbase may need more gauge widening, but then shortwheel base wagons fall though the gap.
I need to test some stuff on my extra sharp tram track I created using 32D printing, and planned to fit in an APA box. If the Bachmann 2 axle yellow bus on rails does round then it will become a GN 15 layout, otherwise probably 1/32 or 1/35 scale as I have already got Tenshodo units to go round, but not pulling wagons. Yet another project to get finished.
I tried to create some sharp radius points the same way, but not sure how well they will work yet. Radius is about 3in(10cm).
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

Nobody
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Nobody » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:20 am

Thank you all.
I'm planning to use Fleischmann 250mm (10") radius for my very first Gn15 layout.
I also want to use a few Smallbrook kits.
Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:41 am

I used that 25cm radius Fleischmann track for my desktop layout
http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=862

The smallbook kits and others do run fine on these.

Have Fun

Juergen

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:52 am

After determining the sharpest radius traversable it is smart to then use a larger radius which makes for greater reliability and ease of operation when moving an entire train; and use the absolute minimum in only one or a few special situations for visual effect.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Nobody
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Nobody » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:05 pm

KEG wrote:I used that 25cm radius Fleischmann track for my desktop layout
http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=862

The smallbook kits and others do run fine on these.

Have Fun

Juergen

Thanks. I can't read German but the pictures speak more than words.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:50 pm

You can get much bigger locos running on the tight Fleischmann curves. A friend who models German trains tried one of his big Fleischmann locos(possibly an 080) and it had no problem. The models are pretty flexible, and makes me wonder why current British models only go round bigger curves.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9 and ng in general

Postby Si » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:47 am

Bilco wrote:I've found that the problem of the gauge narrowing slightly when flexi-track is bent to a small radius can be alleviated to some extent by rubbing a graphite stick on the inside edge of the outer rail. It also helps with electrical pick-up!

Yep, I found this at the weekend. The new (O9) layout has tightish curves and was getting a bit of loco wheel spin on one (home made wagon chassis probably not quite straight) so I'd put off applying the graphite as I thought it'd make the wheel spin worse, but when I finally tried it it actually made things lots better.

Nobody
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Nobody » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:29 pm

I got this answer from Smallbrook this morning:
"With regards to the small track radius, it should be OK.
The only thing is that the overhang at the end of the loco is a little more with Katie and Pierrot than Columbine and Harlequin.
If you can make your own track, so much the better, as with flexible track the gauge narrows on bending it into a curve but if you make your own
you can increase the gauge slightly on the bends and this makes life easier for the locos and stock."

Nobody
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Nobody » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:32 pm

Thanks for all your answers. :D
Last edited by Nobody on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:31 pm

Laprairie wrote:I got this answer from Smallbrook this morning:
"With regards to the small track radius, it should be OK.
The only thing is that the overhang at the end of the loco is a little more with Katie and Pierrot than Columbine and Harlequin.
If you can make your own track, so much the better, as with flexible track the gauge narrows on bending it into a curve but if you make your own
you can increase the gauge slightly on the bends and this makes life easier for the locos and stock."

If you plan to use Katie or Pierrot the overhang can be overcome by using a Rooster bar. Simplest route for a Rooster is when KDs are used.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Return to “Modelling Matters”